Jan 18, 2011, 07:24 AM
and this wire goes where?
Thread OP
Hi Craig

It's one of those projects that is forever ongoing. I need to make all the fittings for the outside still, but have been building a house for the last few years so it all kinda came to a standstill! still gets used as is though!
to remove ads between posts
Jan 18, 2011, 05:30 PM
Don't let a house get in the way of a good boat build!
Jan 18, 2011, 06:38 PM
Thread OP
Lol wasn't so much the house build as the loss of workshop - nowhere to work on the brasswork anymore
Jan 22, 2011, 04:23 AM
Spreckels Lake, GGP, SF, CA
Quote:
Originally Posted by RussellTate
Don't let a house get in the way of a good boat build!
ROFLMAO - Now THERE'S a guy with his priorities straight!!! LOL
Feb 06, 2015, 10:26 AM
Did this ever get finished?
Feb 23, 2015, 05:44 PM
Thread OP
It's still a task in progress haha - only just finished building the house, starting a business, building a beach buggy... Who says only women can multitask
Feb 25, 2015, 02:35 PM
Beach Buggy? Heck yeah!!
Feb 25, 2015, 03:25 PM
Thread OP
Yeah having my mid life crisis, time to recapture 20 years ago. Only we didn't have Subaru engines for Beach Buggies 20 years ago
Feb 25, 2015, 04:24 PM
Hey, it's never too late to build a high-octane monster!
Oct 04, 2015, 08:34 AM
I made three models of Aquarama Specials a few years back for their owners. The engines were Riva marinised Chevy big blocks on all of them, not Lamborghinis, which I would imagine would be too long, being V12s.
The Riva Aquarama was a little shorter than the Aquarama Special. The Special being 28 feet long. I have a set of works drawings and you can clearly see where the old Aquarama lines were erased from it and the new Special lines added. A very helpful local Italian restaurant owner kindly translated all the Italian notations to the drawings.
The last model, with a working steering box and rudders, took me 760 hours to build, entirely from scratch, including 150 separate brass parts that had to be polished and nickel plated. I had to show the order letter and photos to my pharmacist before he would sell me blood test hypos from which to make the engine deck piano hinges. Under them were the two Big Blocks, patterns for which I still have, along with vents, etc. Badges were made from photo-etched brass, also nickelled. Only parts I bought were left and right hand props from the Prop Shop and two cocktail glasses from a local doll house supplier (hand made in Venice). The difficult Rattan material was made by overlaying net curtain edging and fixing with self etch primer, then cutting the Rattan to drop into the cocktail cabinet recess. The flecked floor was done with miniaturists' fine canvas and painted to represent the real covering. Most difficult job by far was making the two layers of windscreen frame so that the "glass" would slip between them without any glue to blob and show.
All good fun.

Cheers,
Martin
Oct 06, 2015, 05:46 AM
Here's one of mine:-
http://i461.photobucket.com/albums/q...psb5764fcb.jpg

Martin
Oct 06, 2015, 05:47 AM
Here's one of mine:-
Mar 20, 2016, 06:20 PM
Hey Dongledell;

How is the riva going ? i wonder wich size prop you used.

I'm planning to start a riva project too. It ll also my first boat built like yours. I'm trying to figure out wich motor size and wich prop size i have to go (thinking of brushless motors) the rest of the electronics ll be shaped from them and i ll make slight changes to the plans i have for the motors shafts etc.

Also would like to hear about the beach buggy (Love offroading )

Quick Reply