Sep 24, 2003, 07:52 AM

Epoxy

If you are into helicopters you may be use to seeing epoxy with an exterior gel coat or coloration added to it.
Raw epoxy should be clear, almost the color of water, and when it soaks into the glass cloth, that also becomes clear. Sanding will dull the finish of the epoxy, but use of fine grit paper (1000 grit or finer) will repolish it. Also addition of a clear coat will bring back the final luster.

Here is a pic of a Chris Craft Barrel Back (Dumas) with 8 coats of epoxy!
http://www.emyc.org/photo/album_details.asp?Id=23

George
to remove ads between posts
Sep 24, 2003, 08:07 AM
and this wire goes where?
Thread OP
yup, that about sums it up - never seen glass and epoxy go clear like that before!!

Now all I have to do is hope I can get my Aquarama to look that good!

funny thing you posting that particular link - I was asked only last night if it would be possible to have a water-skier going along behind the boat - to which I replied I didn't think it would work!! ahh well, a little extra to add to the project!
Sep 24, 2003, 08:12 AM

Waterskier

There is a secret to the water skier, I just happen to have the plans and an article that explains the secret and how to build one.

If you are interested e-mail me with your snail mail address and I will get you a copy.

George
Sep 24, 2003, 09:14 AM
Thread OP
email sent!
Sep 24, 2003, 09:29 AM

Chris-Craft

Forgot to mention a few other details about the Chris-Craft that may help you:

That boat is powered by an 05 car motor (19 turn) using a Hughey gear drive (not sure of ratio), a Duratrax Blast ESC, and uses 7 and 8 cell 2200 battery packs. He uses the 8 cell pack when pulling the skier as it does create additional drag. The gear drive gives extended run times without excessive heat build up, and lower amp draws.

George
Sep 24, 2003, 09:59 AM
Thread OP
Thanks for that George.

Do you happen to know the scale / dimensions of the boat? Looking at the skier, and presumming it is an Action Man of some sort, I am thinking it might be quite bit larger than mine which has a final length of around800mm (32 inch?) by around 250mm (10inch).

Must admit I was quite surprised when I finally got to slot the skeleton of mine together how small it loos in the flesh - on the plans it looked huge! I suppose it will take on more substance as the planks and detail is attached though.
Sep 24, 2003, 10:18 AM

Chris Craft Size

I know that it is 16th scale, but not sure of the dimensions, and Dumas does not publish that info on their web site. But as I recall the boat is about 24 inches long. I can find out for sure tonight and let you know as the boat belongs to my next door neighbor.

George
Sep 24, 2003, 10:23 AM
Thread OP
That's quite a surprise! I was expecting it to be considerably larger, but perhaps that's just going on what size I presumed the Action figure to be.

If you could find out that would be great.

with any luck I should have the initial stages glued together in the next day or two, work permitting, so I'll try and get some production pic here.
Sep 24, 2003, 04:21 PM
Hey guys,
Dumas Barrelback 1940 Length: 28-1/2 inches. Beam: 9-1/2 inches

Dongledell,
Nice project there. Where did you find the plans?
I have a Sterling Seamaid 27 in x 8 in. I use 12v
mack 5045 direct drive and 2 6 cell 1700 packs in series.
Fast but a little heavy.
Dont know alot about Rivas but man their nice lookin
little hotrods. Beautiful. Heres some pics Ive accumulated.
Lower right one is 29 in model available built for $325.
Looks like the Aquarama is just a Crusader without a
hatch. Im sure you know more than me.
Next question for George is how do you get the lines
white between the (Sim) planks... always wondered.

Best of luck with your project.

Cheers

Edit [Top 2 boats are Riva "Ariston" (not crusader)]
Brad
Last edited by kapos45; Sep 30, 2003 at 04:06 AM.
Sep 24, 2003, 05:14 PM
Kapos;
The white stripes are created by placing white styrene strips between each plank. These are supplied in the Dumas kit. If scratch building you can get Evergreen or Plasti-struct pieces at your local hoppy shop. Some people have also used black construction paper to produce black caulk lines. This looks good in light colored decks.
Kapos, did you see the pics of the quarter scale Century that I posted on another thread a few weeks ago?
Here is a site where you can purchase a quarter scale Barrell Back kit:

http://www.vipcharts.com/sgcraft/index.html

George
Sep 24, 2003, 05:19 PM
Dongledell;
I located the waterskier info, will package it tonight and take it to the Post Office Thursday. I will let you know what the estimated delivery date is, shouldn't be too bad. I have sent things to Northern England ( Eddie Matthews) and France and they seem to get there in about 5 working days.

George
Sep 24, 2003, 05:36 PM
Sea Dragon-Lover
Making a water skier is easy, the secrets are...

Hey! what are you doing in here? No GET BACK!!

AAAAARRRRrrrrrgh....
Sep 24, 2003, 06:53 PM
Dongledell,
Heres a better pic of the $325 Riva Model.
(keep thread on topic)

George,
Of course I saw the 1/4 SeaMaid. I like seamaids just
not that big
On the (not available) sterling kits the deck was two
pieces. Not planks persay, just grooves in the mahogany.
Even then Ive seen seamaids with white between
(simulated) planks (See pic next post). Never learned that
trick... Im still trying to get the colors lined up on Rubics
cube

Brad
Sep 24, 2003, 06:59 PM
See George,
How did they do it. Anyone know?

Umi: That thing sank like the Titanic. Any survivors

Brad
Sep 24, 2003, 08:15 PM
Kapos;
I'm willing to bet that the boat is not all original Sterling Kit. The wood was bad in those kits and most people replaced the exterior with better quality wood. Also the fake groves don't look all that good. I do have a friend who built the Dumas Triple Cockpit, and instead of the styrene, he applied thin white automotive tape on top of the epoxy, then clear coated. His reason was that he wanted the lines to be extra sharp and a true white. Multiple coats of epoxy will tend to discolor the plastic to a cream color. Their are always lots of ways to achieve the same effect.

George

Quick Reply