Anyone Flying a walkera 68? - RC Groups
Oct 01, 2011, 12:46 PM
Tugs Rock!
Help!

Anyone Flying a walkera 68?

Anybody flying a walkera 68? I got one for a gift a few years ago and it never seemed to work right so i shelved it. When I start to bring the rotorhead up to speed then pull pitch and add rudder for torque the gyro will put in opposite rull rudder and it will spin in circles. I've tried the walkera forum and got the chinglish instructions dictated back to me. Is the bird worth upgrading the gyro on with a futaba or other unit? It's the base model, not the 68A but does have a brushless kit and lipo. My dad is really looking for me to get it flying since he bought it for me.

All help appreciated!

Thanks
Jon
to remove ads between posts
Oct 02, 2011, 09:06 AM
I don't have the 68 but i do have an updated 60 #A which is similar. In general it sounds the problem is either a gyro adjustment or one of the 3 cyclic servos is connected to the wrong channel on the receiver. And here is the first thing to check; the main rotors should be spinning clockwise and the tail rotor should be spinning COUNTERCLOCKWISE.

If the main and tail rotors are not spinning in opposite direction the heli will diffinately spin out of control.

I'd check that first, if that checks out ok then I'd check the gyro adjustments. Do you have the original manual for the 68?

I hope this helps and let me know how you make out.

billnj2002
Oct 02, 2011, 10:24 AM
Tugs Rock!
I have the original manual but the chinglish translation hasn't helped much. I think it's a gyro adjustment, just figuring out the right way to do it is the problem. There seems to be some good information from google searches so I think I might need to charge it up and give it another shot
Sep 04, 2017, 04:21 PM
Tugs Rock!

Tail rotor rotation

Can you specify on the tail and main rotor rotation direction thing? Viewed from above the main rotor spins clockwise and from the aircraft's right the tail is counterclockwise and the aircrafts left its clockwise. So I guess the direction is where do you view it from or I should say when referencing the top of the tail rotor should it travel forward or backwards?

Also on the gyro where should the manual trimming screws and dip switches be set? The gyro does seem to work. If you pick up the helicopter and swing the tail the gyro does command the tail rotor to change pitch.
Sep 13, 2017, 07:37 AM
Grumpy old git.. Who me?
You are still trying to solve the problem after 6 years!.. I admire your patience

Your rotors are both spinning the correct way as described. The problem is almost certainly that the tail gyro isn't compensating at all or is compensating in the opposite direction.
To test this you just rotate the heli fuselage by hand and observe which way the tail rotor compensates. If your unsure how to do this one way is to swing one of the tail blades backward in it's grip so it's close to 90 degrees pointing in the opposite direction to tail rotor rotation. Turn the whole heli clockwise and the tail blade should point in the direction that the tail moves (left in this case).. Turn the heli anti-clockwise and the blade should point right.
Sep 13, 2017, 09:10 AM
Tugs Rock!
Quote:
Originally Posted by JetPlaneFlyer
You are still trying to solve the problem after 6 years!.. I admire your patience

Your rotors are both spinning the correct way as described. The problem is almost certainly that the tail gyro isn't compensating at all or is compensating in the opposite direction.
To test this you just rotate the heli fuselage by hand and observe which way the tail rotor compensates. If your unsure how to do this one way is to swing one of the tail blades backward in it's grip so it's close to 90 degrees pointing in the opposite direction to tail rotor rotation. Turn the whole heli clockwise and the tail blade should point in the direction that the tail moves (left in this case).. Turn the heli anti-clockwise and the blade should point right.
I finally got it all figured out. The biggest part was interpreting the chinglish instructions but I finally got it right. The tail is mechanically centered short of a servo horn that points 90 degrees and the radio is set up now. I have rudder mixing turned off and the controller set up for remote gain adjustment. I got it spun up and the gyro stabilized and gain roughed in then it did a quick 6" hop. I was only in the basement so I didn't have a lot of room but I do most of my flying in my garage is has a high ceiling and a slippery floor so in won't tip over on a hurried set down.