Jan 12, 2013, 06:10 AM
Mac
All I can say is wow!!! This prop setup worked out very well!!! Unlimited vertical flight. Did rolls, loops, harriers, and tried to hover some, but with the 15 kts of wind it was a bit difficult. Anyway the pitts is awesome!!!!! Definitely my favorite plane at this point. Battery and esc were barely warm after each flight.
to remove ads between posts
Jan 12, 2013, 02:18 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sailmac1
All I can say is wow!!! This prop setup worked out very well!!! Unlimited vertical flight. Did rolls, loops, harriers, and tried to hover some, but with the 15 kts of wind it was a bit difficult. Anyway the pitts is awesome!!!!! Definitely my favorite plane at this point. Battery and esc were barely warm after each flight.
Glad to hear it! Mine has over 70 flights now but it needs some major repairs! Lost the top wing in flight and you can imagine what that does to an aircraft
Is very repairable tho
So... a dubro 3" spinner eh? I have been flying mine on an APC 18x10 and just a nut and the shaft is cut off to suit! I imagine I could use the DuBro and just find a 10mm long nut with the hole that would accept the Du Bro spinner screw...
I have the FMS 55" Pitts Special also and it is a sweet plane also but the Starmax is more docile and doesn't have the tendency to bounce on landings like the FMS.
The Dynam Waco is a real blast also especially for the price
Jan 12, 2013, 03:56 PM
Mac
With The dubro plastic spinner it has a backer plate that goes behind the prop and four screws that hold the front of the spinner on after you secure the prop with the nut. you will have to cut the holes bigger where the blades come out of the spinner though. you may also have to make the hole bigger in the middle of the backing plate as the prop adapter that comes with the plane is fairly large in Diameter. I used a prop adapter from a rimfire 60 that my hobby store was able to order for me for 7 dollars so I didn't have to do any other modifications. The four holes lined up perfectly to mount it to the motor.
Feb 24, 2013, 04:27 PM
I have the prop spinner esc and motor for this plane in great condition. Pm if interested
Apr 02, 2013, 02:05 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by utrinque
AND lower right and left ARE DIFFERENT.
How can you tell? I've been looking at mine and I can't see a difference between the two. Both seem to fit the same in either side.
May 11, 2013, 12:31 PM
nevermind
Last edited by BipesRGr8; May 11, 2013 at 12:48 PM. Reason: lack of experience
Jul 21, 2013, 03:08 PM

Replace servos

Today I maidened Starmax Pitts I bought long time ago from HobbyKing (NL warehouse).

I did not fly it hard. I crashed it on 6th flight. Two aileron servos stripped. I am not sure if it happened during the flight. Probably I lost control due to a stall from which I was unable to recover due to loss of power (probably regulator was overheaten).

REPLACEMENT of stock SERVOS (especially aileron servos) is HIGHLY RECOMMENDED they strip very easily. I am not sure which servos are installed on BananaHobby Pitts.

I really like this bipe. It is my biggest (heaviest) plank. I fly also Precision Aerobatics Extra MX and I am going to build Katana MX. Pitts is good for scale flying. Take offs and landings are very easy. It handles wind very well. I was using 1/3 to 1/2 of throttle most of the time. It can fly slow but beware of stalls. Best way is to fly high and check speed at which it stalls due to relatively heavy weight. It happens abruptly so be careful when you land it.

I did flips&rolls and invered. Tracks well without expo and balance is ok with 4Ah 6S 20C lipo when it is pushed all way forward. after 5 min flight there was >3.8V per cell but after 6 min lipos started to get slightly hot (It was around 30 deg C today)

I was using 100A regulator from Gaui X5. Definitely it is to small for stock propeller.

I am going to repair it because It is not severely damaged nd I love the way it looks in the air.

I am going to use TGY 306G servos for ailerons and Turnigy 1266HV for rudder and elevator. I use those servos on helis and they proved to provide good bang for the buck. I will put YEP 150A regulator and 18x10 APC propeller with two blades.

I want to replace wing girders with CP pipes 10mm 1 meter long, they are relatively cheap and much more stiff and lighter.

Damage after crash:
- one blade of the propeller
- one broken wing (clean break, definitely repairable with CA glue)
- small crack on fuselage
- 3 broken struts (I am going to replace all of them with CF struts I'll make myself and I will reinforce wing mounts.
- landing gear was bent but I fixed it already. CF landing gear would be nice to lower the weigh, but I decided to keep stock gear (I like the way it looks).

For those who like crazy aerobatics like me I suggest Precision Aerobatics Ultimate AMR or Multiplex Gemini. Those are awesome bipes but much smaller.

Definitely this bipe is not god for beginners. I do not recommend Ultimate AMR for beginners also.

I was surprised how silent it is. My 600 and 700 electric helis are much louder but they are 12S vs 6S Pitts.

Considering cost of servos and regulator I am going to mount it is not cheap model anymore. Considering its size, crash resistance and way it flies I think it is worth the upgrade.

Good luck Starmax Pitts flyers.
Jul 22, 2013, 08:20 PM

Replacement motor...

Hey guys,

I picked up one of these used a few weeks ago and really like this Biplane over all. I'm not a great 3D pilot, but I was having a lot of fun with this thing for several flights and then the stock motor gave up on me. Regretfully I didn't do my research here first while trying to come up with a suitable replacement motor. So I ended up with the Turnigy 50-60 380kv motor from HK several days ago. Their were complaints on the HK forum that this motors magnets would come loose after just a few flights. I took my chances and ordered two of these and used one with a 18X8 prop on 6s. It pulled about 75amps and about 1400watts I believe is what I last saw. The Turnigy motor only last two flights and as reported, the magnets came loose on it. I'm not even going to bother with the second motor I bought. And the performance was no where near as good as I experienced with the stock motor with a 19X8 prop that I was going to eventually try on the Turnigy motor.

Bottom line is I'm asking if you guys can point me to a very good replacement motor for this Pitts that will easily (and reliably) pull 10+lbs of thrust with a 19" or 20" prop of some sort if this is do-able? or even stick with my 18X8. I wanted to go large prop because I wanted lots of low speed thrust and don't really care about high speeds if this is a correct thinking. I'm no longer going to look for cheap budget motors, but I'd like to keep it under 150.00USA if possible. E-flite has a pretty descent looking motor for this, but looks like it would need 7s or 8s to get what I'm looking for.

I'd settle for another stock motor which worked great with a 19X8 two blade. But I cant seem to find the stock replacement motor for this Pitts anywhere?

Thanks
Jul 23, 2013, 01:27 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by MachLid
Hey guys,

I picked up one of these used a few weeks ago and really like this Biplane over all. I'm not a great 3D pilot, but I was having a lot of fun with this thing for several flights and then the stock motor gave up on me. Regretfully I didn't do my research here first while trying to come up with a suitable replacement motor. So I ended up with the Turnigy 50-60 380kv motor from HK several days ago. Their were complaints on the HK forum that this motors magnets would come loose after just a few flights. I took my chances and ordered two of these and used one with a 18X8 prop on 6s. It pulled about 75amps and about 1400watts I believe is what I last saw. The Turnigy motor only last two flights and as reported, the magnets came loose on it. I'm not even going to bother with the second motor I bought. And the performance was no where near as good as I experienced with the stock motor with a 19X8 prop that I was going to eventually try on the Turnigy motor.

Bottom line is I'm asking if you guys can point me to a very good replacement motor for this Pitts that will easily (and reliably) pull 10+lbs of thrust with a 19" or 20" prop of some sort if this is do-able? or even stick with my 18X8. I wanted to go large prop because I wanted lots of low speed thrust and don't really care about high speeds if this is a correct thinking. I'm no longer going to look for cheap budget motors, but I'd like to keep it under 150.00USA if possible. E-flite has a pretty descent looking motor for this, but looks like it would need 7s or 8s to get what I'm looking for.

I'd settle for another stock motor which worked great with a 19X8 two blade. But I cant seem to find the stock replacement motor for this Pitts anywhere?

Thanks
The OS electrics 9540 and 9550 will pull more than you're asking on a smaller prop.

http://www.osengines.com/motors/moto...ifications.pdf

Most places have them around $110.
Jul 23, 2013, 05:49 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chundah
The OS electrics 9540 and 9550 will pull more than you're asking on a smaller prop.

http://www.osengines.com/motors/moto...ifications.pdf

Most places have them around $110.
Thank you very much for the help on this one !! After all this time I never new OS was offering Brushless motors!

I ordered the 9550 from my local HS here in the detroit area in MI. Under a 100.00usa with a prop adapter. I cant wait to get it and try it out. If its from OS... I'm sure it'll be very reliable.

Thanks again for the info !
Jul 24, 2013, 12:52 AM
It wasmt 4 or 5 post before your post wanting a new stock motor i ofered any one in need of a new stock motor...........i have the 5060 390 kv stock motor and esc
Jul 24, 2013, 07:32 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by HEATEDHAT
It wasmt 4 or 5 post before your post wanting a new stock motor i ofered any one in need of a new stock motor...........i have the 5060 390 kv stock motor and esc
Hey, sorry. I quickly skimmed through this thread and decided to post my motor questions. Thanks for pointing it out that I missed your post offering the stock motor for the Pitts.

I'm happy with my decision to try one of these OS brushless motors.

Thanks again.
Jul 25, 2013, 09:47 AM
I think that was a great choice. Im sure the quality is much better than the stock motor anyway
Jul 28, 2013, 06:35 AM
Does any one know the exact specs of the stock motor? Some one with a watt meter. Or can list a after market motor with the closest similar specs. What im looking for possibly is the glow equivalent..... .60???? exact thrust
Aug 03, 2013, 07:27 PM
Hey guys,

I received and installed the OS motor into the big Pitts, I did get the 375k version.

It may be a bit much for it,,, but I wanted to try it with a 19 X 8 prop. I don't have amp and watt data because my Turnigy Watt meter recently broke. So I decided to try to fly it anyway today -- and as soon as it got airborn the front engine cover/cowl came loose. I've been lightly gluing it on as advised on this thread, but didn't go has heavy on the glue this time because of how frequently its had to come apart lately. So it got pulled forward into the prop and "ground" down a bit. Its repairable I'm sure, but I'd like to find a replacement if possible.

As you guys are aware I'm sure, their seems to be no more replacement parts available for this puppy any more? I dont know where else to look other then Banana Hobby (which carried this model) and HK sells it too. but no replacement parts with them. So I'm at a loss right now.

I may remove it and fly it with no cowl just to see how the new OS motor seems to perform.

Thanks in advance on this one!

Quick Reply