Sep 29, 2011, 10:55 PM
Thread OP
Discussion

36" KFm4 DS2 Flying Wing - Plans

This wing is based off of my 24" DS wing as seen here:
https://www.rcgroups.com/forums/show....php?t=1252282

It is an evolution of my simple to build 24" wing. It has a built up fuse for hiding components and offering better aerodynamics. I started its own thread because the plane is going to evolve and I dont want to take away from the Dead Simple aspect of the 24" wing. I am going to do a build log of the latest version once I am done designing it, and I think I will form some kits once I get the phlatprinter . I do like the 36" wing more than the 24" just because it has more size and is a little more refined.

Clarification on the build. The center of the wing is 7 layers thick to allow for hiding the battery. KFm 4 makes up 3 layers. The diamond sections have 2 on top and 2 on bottom.

DS2 Specs
NP: 9.88in
CG: at 9.32in with a 5% static margin (Worked well)
AUW: 12oz
Wing Area: 342sq in
Cubic Loading: 3.3 (impressive glide though)
Motor:1700kv BnR Wonder 24g
Prop:7x3.5 (45mph 16oz thrust)

Video
Will get a new video when I can, but you see the plane flying in between my daughter tracking it with her eyes. Really cute though.

Baby Zoe Watching Remote Control Plane (2 min 9 sec)
Last edited by forlack; Oct 28, 2011 at 11:06 PM.
to remove ads between posts
Sep 29, 2011, 11:07 PM
Thread OP
Reserved for build log
Sep 29, 2011, 11:13 PM
I hate winter!
Subscribed. Will be building! Can people that have built this suggest a good ESC/motor/Battery combo?
Sep 29, 2011, 11:19 PM
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by binaryclock
Subscribed. Will be building! Can people that have built this suggest a good ESC/motor/Battery combo?
Absolutely! I just have a bunch of these little 24g motors. I am thinking of using this on the next version:

http://www.flybrushless.com/motor/view/48

Sep 29, 2011, 11:29 PM
I hate winter!
How about making it like Stryker fast? I'm thinking something like this:

https://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...ner_Motor.html

The motor you have linked up there is good too. I see they state 80MPH using the 6.25 pitch prop.

Was the one you were flying with Baby Zoe the 24g HXT motor?
Sep 30, 2011, 12:32 AM
Thread OP
Ya, it was a turnigy 24g. I love those little motors. Its a good size for the 36" and 40mph is fun...but if you have the need for speed well...
Those suppo motors are also much more efficient, but I haven't gotten my hands on one yet. I am just going on Dr. Kiwi's recommendations.

edit: I actually think that turnigy you linked is a newer version of the suppo 2212-6. http://www.flybrushless.com/motor/view/50
Sep 30, 2011, 02:00 AM
The lunatic is on the grass

36 incher...

Here is the start of the 36 ''.

Used 1/2'' pink foam cut out as one piece and then some 7/16 EPE for the top and bottom step.

Was thinking about using this motor,i already have it as a spare....http://www.headsuprc.com/servlet/the...ushless/Detail...if it's not used in the 24 ''...still trying to figure that out.
The motor on 3s can produce as much as 17 oz of thrust on a gws EP 9050.
On 2s the most it can produce with a gws EP 1147 is about 12.5 ounces of thrust.

But of course my scale only weighs up to 100 g so i have no idea of the weight so far,but it is much lighter than my super cub,much lighter.

So...would like to hear you guys opinions,suggestions comments.

EDIT:
Well i was pretty tired when making this post and after re-reading forlack's post and watching the video..(cute little bugger) i see that the motor i have should work with the 36''.

Going to try and finish today.

Ridgewalker
Last edited by ridgewalker; Sep 30, 2011 at 10:25 AM.
Sep 30, 2011, 12:19 PM
Forlack, what material did you use for this version? $Tree foamboard joined in the middle?

Thanks!

~Shoe
Sep 30, 2011, 12:45 PM
Thread OP
Looks Good!

Ya I used dollar tree two halves for the main body and KF steps. The middle sections cover up the seams and hold it tight.
Sep 30, 2011, 12:47 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by forlack
Looks Good!

Ya I used dollar tree two halves for the main body and KF steps. The middle sections cover up the seams and hold it tight.
Thank you sir!

~Shoe
Sep 30, 2011, 01:02 PM
The lunatic is on the grass
Not sure what to do...

Should i make the ailerons from the 1/2 pink foam and taper them to the TE...or should i taper the TE of the whole wing and use 3mm foam for the ailerons?

Ridgewalker
Sep 30, 2011, 07:19 PM
I hate winter!
Looks amazing Ridge.. looking forward to your report!

I might get some time this weekend to do the 36", but the 24g motor may feel a bit underpowered for it. Maybe if I put the 3s on it and get a different prop.
Sep 30, 2011, 07:21 PM
Thread OP
Ridge thinner TE will be more efficient. Also, it might be hard to balance with that little battery and 1/2" foam.
Sep 30, 2011, 08:00 PM
builds more then he flies
i had a post laid out but it turned into a wall of text and blabbering...

so how about throwing me a set of those new plans? i havent touched a piece of foam for weeks and i have a ton of time on my hands this weekend and all of next week!

cmoooon!
Oct 06, 2011, 12:01 AM
Say watt?!
This looks even better than the 24" version! Very nice.

Quick Reply