Sep 29, 2011, 10:17 AM
Fly, dangit!!!
Thread OP
Alert

Federal RC Model Regulation?

I know there has been talk about this before, but I wondered how many of you had seen this.

I know this has been discussed at length on RCG, but I wonder when the last straw will be? I hope scare tactics like this won't make some just up and ban all RC aircraft...
to remove ads between posts
Sep 29, 2011, 10:50 AM
Designing on the edge
More likely it would entail banning certain kinds of RC aircraft, size and speed etc.

Kay
Sep 29, 2011, 11:14 AM
Certifiable
This doesn't help!!!!!
http://news.yahoo.com/feds-us-man-pl...210116487.html
Sep 29, 2011, 11:16 AM
Fly, dangit!!!
Thread OP
Perhaps so, but I wonder where that stops? Personally, I'm guessing that nothing at all will really turn up from this, but still...

I also noticed that they have several of their facts incorrect in the story and video, for one, if someone knows where you can get a 66" WS RTF dual EDF jet for less than $200, let me know. The kind of stuff that this guy was trying to use is probably more in the range of $20k - $30k I'm guessing. Of course that's still a small price for these .

Also, anyone ever heard of an F-14 Phantom????
Sep 29, 2011, 11:25 AM
Two left thumbs
In case you weren't aware, the Academy of Model Aeronautics has been working its butt off to make sure such lunacy does not impinge upon our right to fly models.

The only part of this "news" story (mostly hysteria mongering) is the next to last paragraph wherein it states that such a model plane could not carry sufficient explosive to do serious structural damage to a concrete building.

This is a very good reason to not buy ARFs. Most fanatics aren't going to take the time to build a model. If people don't buy them, the companies go out of business, and we can go back to the hobby of model building/flying without the sensationalist news media giving us grief.

IMO, Wolf Blitzer and CNN are terrorists just as much as the nutcase they reported on.

PS: You're right LZ, the story is chock full of inaccuracies - but will John and Jane Doe know that? Nope! That's why I impugn the news media for publishing this stuff.
Sep 29, 2011, 11:45 AM
Team of ONE....or...Team Me
I just read the posted link's story and have posted a response to the ridiculous BS CNN has pushed out to the people. I wish the media would do some research before they try to start some more fear mongering to try and keep us all in line.
Sep 29, 2011, 11:51 AM
Team of ONE....or...Team Me
And one more thing to think about is; you can easily buy an RC aircraft but where do you get 24 pounds of C4 explosive, AK-47's and hand grenades easily????? The report says that is what this guy was going to use in his attack. I collect guns and regularly shoot my guns and it is not easy to get your hands on fully a automatic weapon let alone grenades and C4.
Sep 29, 2011, 12:18 PM
Who knows where this is going to end, or if something like this will even have much of an effect. Stricter regulations are likely to come, but I doubt we're going to see 10 year olds cuffed for flying an airhogs in a city park. I imagine that identifying the shady characters that show up in hobby shops or who order stuff online might be of greater interest, as would be limiting the locations that certain large/fast planes can be flown. Also, I could imagine that fpv might be on its way out, if it's at all possible to un-ring that bell.
Overall, I can't see the government forcing an end to a multi-billion dollar a year business, but I for one wouldnt mind seeing something done to keep the criminals from using rc vehicles as weapons.
Sep 29, 2011, 01:33 PM
Fly, dangit!!!
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by DeadTom
And one more thing to think about is; you can easily buy an RC aircraft but where do you get 24 pounds of C4 explosive, AK-47's and hand grenades easily????? The report says that is what this guy was going to use in his attack. I collect guns and regularly shoot my guns and it is not easy to get your hands on fully a automatic weapon let alone grenades and C4.
Tom - I agree - if they are going to regulate something, how about stopping the guy from getting C4??? I own guns as well, and I'm sure that this is the kind of stuff that gun control folks love to beat their drums about...

Also, as an architect, I agree, it would take one serious RC plane to do any actual structural damage to a building. I suppose it depends on the building, but something like the Pentagon is a tough nut to crack. I don't think they could ever use this tactic to collapse a building, but it could hurt people inside. There is so much redundancy planned into commercial buildings that it would take more than what an RC plane could carry by far.

It's just crazy all around, just like the 'underwear bomber' that is on trial now, are we all going to have to go commando on airliners next?
Sep 29, 2011, 01:38 PM
Always Ready!
I've always thought it would be much simpler for terrorists to just use taxis as their delivery vehicles. Nobody thinks twice about who drives those "in plain sight" with full access to almost any building.

As for RC planes... that genie is already out of the bottle. You can ban them, but will that stop a terrorist? You think a terrorist will care that it is illegal to buy or own one? And anyone can simply build their own even if you can't buy them retail anymore.
Last edited by warhead_71; Sep 29, 2011 at 01:44 PM.
Sep 29, 2011, 02:43 PM
Senile Member
Get serious. If the guy is buying ducted fan F-4s and F-86s and expecting them to carry a kilo payload he knows nothing about RC aircraft in the first place. There's a 99% chance that he has never even flown one and wouldn't even be able to get it to the target. Now if he had bought a couple of senior telemasters then one might consider that he knew what he was doing.

I'm having faith that the powers that be realize how rediculus it is to expect an RC to have any potential to inflict serious damage and, as such, don't over react to the situation.

Larry
Sep 29, 2011, 03:03 PM
Serenity Now!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lnagel
I'm having faith that the powers that be realize how rediculus it is to expect an RC to have any potential to inflict serious damage and, as such, don't over react to the situation.

Larry
You have a lot of faith there brother..............remember this is the 'gubmint....
Sep 29, 2011, 03:05 PM
And we're approaching an election year....there's no telling who might run with this "cause"...
Sep 29, 2011, 03:08 PM
Always Ready!
I think the news grossly misrepresented the incident and the guy was not in fact using a ducted fan parkflyer to deliver 4lbs of C4. The FBI said the plane was almost 6ft long and had GPS, but the news showed a $200 foamie and and copy/pasted some sales verbiage from it to give the story credence... making it sound like the average entry-level park-jet could take out the Pentagon. I think the terrorist had a lot more money wrapped up in it... probably turbine-powered to get over 100mph at that size.

Bottom line, I don't think 4lbs of C4 would make much of a dent in the Pentagon... I mean, it would be a big loud bang and blow out the windows, but the Pentagon has reinforced concrete walls that are 2ft thick. But if this guy wanted to attack a nightclub he wouldn't need an RC plane to do that... you can hide 4lbs in a human cavity.
Sep 29, 2011, 04:12 PM
Fly, dangit!!!
Thread OP
I don't think much will come of it either, but I do think it's crazy that they post up some story like that. It has a bunch of 'what ifs' in it. Your right about that, a $200 parkjet isn't going to do much of anything other than maybe break a window and if that's what the guy was using, he obviously didn't know anything. They also quoted some website selling some sort of $10k super heli that could carry a 20lbs payload. Sounds like the writers are just searching around trying to come up with 'what ifs' to stir up trouble. They probably Googled 'RC Plane' and just found a bunch of large scale stuff and thought 'OMG, anyone could build a bomb out of this stuff!!!! Let's put up a story and tell everyone how dangerous they are...' I mean, seriously? If folks are going to be terrorists, then that's what they are. Look at what one guy did with a few barrels, diesel fuel, and fertilizer, that's WAAAAAAAY MORE than an RC plane could EVER do.

I hope that officials would see this as an isolated incident. Also, it seems like it's less about the RC plane and more about the 'hey let's scare everyone and get them out of the building then start shooting' aspect.

Alright, I'm done, this is my last post, just thought it was a silly story....

Quick Reply