Sep 28, 2011, 10:03 PM
Thread OP
Question

Anyone tried the Cobra esc's w/6a s/mode bec?

hey,
any first hand knowledge on the cobra esc's with 6a s/mode bec starting at 40 amps and higher. or know of anything comparable? (with internal 6a s/mode bec)

thanks to any and all,
rateoneturn
Last edited by rateoneturn; Sep 29, 2011 at 08:04 AM. Reason: when?
to remove ads between posts
Sep 29, 2011, 06:51 AM
Surface, Air & Water Rc Toys..
What info R U looking for? My current esc has 5a switching bec up to 8S..
Sep 29, 2011, 08:11 AM
Thread OP
freechip,
somebody that has "first hand knowledge" or is currently using the 6a bec cobra esc's.

thanks,
rateoneturn
Last edited by rateoneturn; Sep 29, 2011 at 08:12 AM. Reason: what?
Sep 29, 2011, 08:42 AM
Sometimes people have questions that may not be specific to that esc brand only. Was just asking what you were looking for, if someone says YES to you then what? You maybe limiting your responses for no reason by asking for first hand experience with a very specific esc brand.

Oh well was just trying to help. Good luck.
Remember your first post says COMPARABLE. 5a smode bec is pretty comparable to 6a smode bec of your esc.
Sep 29, 2011, 10:26 AM
Thread OP
dear freechip,
please do not let my brashness offend you. imo a 5a is not comparable with a 6a if you try to follow the 80% rule. (it's not just for batteries) i like to give an even greater margin to aid in longevity of electronic parts. running 3 gyro's multiple digital servos (and not always the most efficient brands or models) receivers that are not the most efficient and in general too much current sucking stuff, i wanted too talk to an actual user of the s/mode 6a model and see what he was pulling amp wise, for how long, how hot was it, anybody run any test.... these are (for me) REAL NEW and the only way i have too prejudge their worthiness is by first hand use. i find it unwise to rely on manufacturers verbiage, even if it is being passed forward by lucien miller of Inno8. (in my book a class act himself with a hard to beat product line, ie... scorpion motors)
i hope this explains it too you. i was hoping to avoid having to type all this dribble, that's why i asked for "first hand knowledge on the 6a bec model or anything comparable (with internal 6a s/mode bec)"

thank you for your continued support,
rateoneturn
Sep 29, 2011, 10:30 AM
That's just the way it goes here. Ask a simple question and get everything else but the correct answer
Sep 29, 2011, 10:40 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by rateoneturn
dear freechip, please do not let my brashness offend you ... thank you for your continued support, rateoneturn
Not offended and was just trying to help, big difference from the post above.

I just wanted to ask for more details as sometime what people want to know can related to other products or brand but after getting your recent post you want specific performance from the esc. This portion of your post is what threw me off
Quote:
Originally Posted by rateoneturn
... r know of anything comparable? (with internal 6a s/mode bec) thanks to any and all, rateoneturn
based on my experience with mine, regardless of the actual rated spec of the BEC the spec given for it is based on the MAX voltage input you can connect to the ESC and that his up to 8S. Now from experience since its rated for X amount of bec amp at that voltage, any lower voltage used for main pack voltage is a piece of cake for the smode bec. One can easily find out from his own personnal test with meter and loading the bec. Then if heat becomes an issue then you know or atleast have first hand experience yourself that they may or may not have over rated there bec.

Anyways Good luck.
Last edited by freechip; Sep 29, 2011 at 10:50 AM.
Sep 29, 2011, 12:50 PM
rateoneturn,

This is Lucien, and I own Innov8tive Designs, the exclusive US Distributor of Cobra products. I was planning on running some constant current tests on BEC circuits in the Cobra ESC's to see how much power they actually could produce before folding back, and how warm the BEC Circuit gets at different current loads such as 3 amps, 4 amps, 5 amps and 6 amps. I can post that information later once I perform the tests.

Getting to your specific issue, if you have a system that is running enough stuff to put a continuous 4 amp or larger load on a system, you should really be running a seperate battery pack to power everything. The BEC circuits in the speed controllers are designed to power typical set-ups such as an airplane with 4-5 servos or a helicopter with 4 servos and a gyro. One you start getting up to out of the ordinary type of set-ups, you need to re-consider the power requirements for BEC Circuits.

The other thing that causes concern is the new Digital Servos that everyone is using these days. People think that it is wonderful that they get twice the torque or twice the speed, but this extra power does not come for free! Some of the larger hi-torque digital servos can pull as much as 3 amps of current each, so you can have current surges of 9-10 amps or more if 3 or 4 servos all start moving together at the same time.

As I said, I will actually run some tests on a sample ESC and see how it does.

Lucien
Sep 29, 2011, 12:55 PM
Thread OP
but,
if somebody went through this before you it could keep you from wasting you're money on something that you would just burn up and consequently tear up you're big-ole overpriced plane.

rot

btw - i was just giving you a hard time at first (cause you looked so gullible) but now it's really starting to get on my last ner............."nevermind." (my gilda radner impression)

also my first emoticon, i'm special (ed)
Sep 29, 2011, 01:07 PM
Thread OP
hey lucien,
i have you're motors as well as many of you're mounts, p/adapters and my favorite the "closeout" servo ext. wires at $1 & $1.20. after reading you're test results, seeing how you do business and hearing you're voice on the phone, i'll believe anything you tell me. (more or less)
i eagerly await you're findings.

rot

long live Inno8

Quick Reply