Sep 28, 2011, 07:30 PM
Build Log

Sig 1/4 Scale Super Cub on Floats

Flying season is coming to an end so I'm getting all the goodies in order for my next build. I have the clippped wing in the box, but decided to convert back to a full wing and change it to a Super Cub. Going with an off white and red scheme on floats, with the option to change out to gear for grass take offs. Should be a fun project and I hope you all will join in the fun.
to remove ads between posts
Sep 29, 2011, 08:17 AM
ARFs Are Me

Maybe. Just maybe, we can get together and fly our new models together, next season.
Sep 29, 2011, 11:40 AM
We definately need to do that, Tom. Maybe fly off the bay?

I've picked out two schemes that I like. Favoring the mostly white version, however the red wing and tail surfaces appeal to me too.
Sep 29, 2011, 05:27 PM
ARFs Are Me
I live two blocks from the Bay, Carey. A friend has a boat. If that works for you, it works for me.

x-craft used to have a Super Cub in the red and white scheme. I really lt.
Sep 30, 2011, 10:13 AM
Sep 30, 2011, 07:38 PM
The build starts tomorrow, guys. We do need to get together Tom. If she's finished by spring I will gladly make the trip. Picked up a set of Platt ME109 plans blown up to 83" span last night. Tempting to start that but I need to wait until this is finished. Meister accessories are perfect for it.
Sep 30, 2011, 08:13 PM
ARFs Are Me
Finish the Cub, Carey.

I seem to be burning out on warbirds. I would like to build another 109, though. If I do, it'll probably be one of Jose's kits. (Fliteskin)

My club has a float fly in August. We hold it at a member's house. This year, it went from dawn to dusk. If you don't make it beforehand, the August event would be fun to attend.
Sep 30, 2011, 08:30 PM
Looking forward to this!!

Trey
Oct 02, 2011, 10:43 AM
Welcome aboard, Trey!

Getting minumum done this weekend. I started the F5 and F6 fuse formers and cut a few side parts. Didn't realize that all 1/4" thick parts including the tail surfaces need to be cut from die printed balsa until I opened the box this morning. There will be a good amount of time spent cutting all these pieces. Almost like scratch building to say the least.
Oct 02, 2011, 11:29 AM
ARFs Are Me
Ya, Carey, both of the Sig kits, that I built, had the thicker wood parts that were just printed. Since I have a bandsaw, I didn't mind.
Oct 02, 2011, 07:10 PM
Yeah, there no big deal to cut. I was just suprised to see them that way. This is the first time I've built a Sig kit. One would think after all these years of building I would have built one by now. So far, looks like the quality of the kit is good and I centainly know how this cub flies. I had a clipped wing a few years ago and it flew great with a O.S. 160. The Super Cub cowl is due in the mail tomorrow. I hope the profile is correct....

Carey
Oct 02, 2011, 07:24 PM
ARFs Are Me
I like Sig kits. They're maybe the best I've seen. The IKON kit, that I'm building now, looks like a close second, though.
Oct 03, 2011, 05:35 PM
Well, I received my so called Super Cub cowl from Fiberglass Specialties. Not at all amused with the profile of the cowl. Best thing I can do with this one is pitch it on garbage day.

Is there any other souces out there that make a nice Super Cub cowl for the Sig kit?
Oct 03, 2011, 06:07 PM
ARFs Are Me
There's a guy buildig a Super Cub on RCU. You may want to ask him what he's using.
Oct 03, 2011, 06:18 PM
Looks like he ordered the same one #SK-8.