Mar 08, 2012, 10:53 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by simonk
It's a bit confusing because we're listing the part number, not the description, but this is on the ESC spreadsheet as the F-30A: https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/...jU1YzdBQkZZRlE ... You need bs_nfet.hex.
Great, thanks.

I somehow missed that there was a spreadsheet.
to remove ads between posts
Mar 08, 2012, 11:34 AM
simonk

Is there anything major different about the newest code compared to the december code other than throttle calibration? Standard tgy build.
Mar 08, 2012, 11:50 AM
^(_MăĻēŜĐ_)^ ЯuĽe U
Quote:
Originally Posted by noppita
i sent email to ask rctimer.com about this and they said they will continue to use atmega8. and i just received the last package in about 7 days ago, still atmega
I got my RcTimers 30A some days ago and all are Atmega8 too.
Mar 08, 2012, 01:45 PM

Q: Power hookup during ESC flashing

Sorry if this has already been covered.

Q:

1) When flashing an ESC, does the ESC need to be hooked up to a power source other than the USB programmer (i.e. does the battery side of the ESC need power) ?

2) Do the motors need to be hooked up during flashing?

thanks

steve
Mar 08, 2012, 01:49 PM
^(_MăĻēŜĐ_)^ ЯuĽe U
Quote:
Originally Posted by finkbuilt
Sorry if this has already been covered.

Q:

1) When flashing an ESC, does the ESC need to be hooked up to a power source other than the USB programmer (i.e. does the battery side of the ESC need power) ?

2) Do the motors need to be hooked up during flashing?

thanks

steve
Just plug the USB to the ESC. Don't power the esc with other source during flashing nor connect the motors. the USB provides 5v to the ESC. You will be fine, at least I was
Mar 08, 2012, 02:29 PM
I think you can have motor connected. it beeps.
For those who have the hobbyking f-20a what version are you flashing? I am about to flash 4 of these but should i just use the last one?
I know I should use bs_nfet file.
Mar 08, 2012, 02:36 PM
vAMPire
Soo,

today i flashed my tgy 6A esc (old ones) of my small quad, what a pain ;-)
Since I dont use any plugs on my small quad I had to use my beloved soldering iron again

I had to readjust throttle range and unfortunatly the motor directions of all esc had changed from the original firmware.

Finally after everything went back together it flies a lot smoother and less shaky although it flew allready nice before. What I relly like is the improved sound, now you can just hear the crappy bearings

Some pics of it can be found here in the Multiwii topic

Thank you especially Simon, timecop and lazyzero, the flashtool works perfect!
Mar 08, 2012, 02:51 PM
Very cool quad... And with fpv gear even better. Movies?
Last edited by kiliam; Mar 08, 2012 at 02:56 PM.
Mar 08, 2012, 03:32 PM
g0t rabb1t?
Quote:
Originally Posted by timecop
There was a throttle cal saving bug until feb/11 version of firmware.
Flashing latest version of tgy.hex fixed "not-calibrating" problem.
Now all 6 working like one - starts and stops at the same time.
I left other 4 at the same older firmware - looks like they are working without problems.
Mar 08, 2012, 05:57 PM
vAMPire
Quote:
Originally Posted by kiliam
No video yet, dont record my flights, no dvr...
Maybe Ill strap a key chain cam on it as well
Mar 08, 2012, 07:03 PM
I am having a problem, trying to flash some hobbyking f-20a.
I am using an arduino with arduinosip sketch and i think i have everything well wired but using kkflashtool just gives me this:

Flash the firmware file.
Flashing firmware from file.: C:\Users\cortez\Downloads\tgy_2012-03-01_2e27c08\bs_nfet.hex

C:\Users\cortez\Downloads\kkmulticopterflashtool_0 .60beta10\lib\avrdude\windows\avrdude.exe -C C:\Users\cortez\Downloads\kkmulticopterflashtool_0 .60beta10\lib\avrdude\windows\avrdude.conf -p m8 -P COM3 -c arduino -B 8 -e -U flash:w:C:\Users\cortez\Downloads\tgy_2012-03-01_2e27c08\bs_nfet.hex:i

avrdude.exe: AVR device initialized and ready to accept instructions

Reading | ################################################## | 100% 0.02s

avrdude.exe: Device signature = 0x1e950f
avrdude.exe: Expected signature for ATmega8 is 1E 93 07
Double check chip, or use -F to override this check.

avrdude.exe done. Thank you.

Error during writing flash.

Any suggestion?
Mar 08, 2012, 11:16 PM
Autodidact
Ok... My turn for the fun My 30A Dynam Detrum ESCs and my USB AVR Pocket Programmer came in today also

Mar 09, 2012, 02:00 AM

Is this ESC flashable.

hello,
Request help from the experienced people from this forum

Can i reflash the following Escs? Has some body tried these?
1. HK-SS10A
https://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...8_10A_ESC.html
and
2.HK-SS18A
https://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...5_18A_ESC.html

Or how can we check and find out whether one can flash it by looking at the cct, like P type FEts or N type. ( ofcourse with ATMEL mega8)

thanks for this support.

ashta
Mar 09, 2012, 02:06 AM
Master of Flash
Seam like they switched for that ESC to ATmega328p, can you make a photo of the board?
Don't try to flash with a 328 based board selected in controller. That will brick your ESC.

Christian

Quote:
I am having a problem, trying to flash some hobbyking f-20a.
I am using an arduino with arduinosip sketch and i think i have everything well wired but using kkflashtool just gives me this:

Flash the firmware file.
Flashing firmware from file.: C:\Users\cortez\Downloads\tgy_2012-03-01_2e27c08\bs_nfet.hex

C:\Users\cortez\Downloads\kkmulticopterflashtool_0 .60beta10\lib\avrdude\windows\avrdude.exe -C C:\Users\cortez\Downloads\kkmulticopterflashtool_0 .60beta10\lib\avrdude\windows\avrdude.conf -p m8 -P COM3 -c arduino -B 8 -e -U flash:w:C:\Users\cortez\Downloads\tgy_2012-03-01_2e27c08\bs_nfet.hex:i

avrdude.exe: AVR device initialized and ready to accept instructions

Reading | ################################################## | 100% 0.02s

avrdude.exe: Device signature = 0x1e950f
avrdude.exe: Expected signature for ATmega8 is 1E 93 07
Double check chip, or use -F to override this check.

avrdude.exe done. Thank you.

Error during writing flash.

Any suggestion?
Mar 09, 2012, 02:13 AM
CD-ROM Junkie
Quote:
Originally Posted by TEDious
Ok... My turn for the fun My 30A Dynam Detrum ESCs and my USB AVR Pocket Programmer came in today also

I'm flying a quad with a set of these flashed ESCs. They are working very good.
xrotor backyard flight 3-6-2012 (6 min 16 sec)
Mar 09, 2012, 07:04 AM
LAN
LAN
Quote:
Originally Posted by LazyZero
Seam like they switched for that ESC to ATmega328p, can you make a photo of the board?
Don't try to flash with a 328 based board selected in controller. That will brick your ESC.
Crap, I have 8 of the HK F-20A coming my way, and I intended to reflash them. Following this thread closely to see if someone has a solution to this. Seems like a cat & mouse chase to find ESC's that can be reflashed...

/Leif
Mar 09, 2012, 07:22 AM
Suspended Account
Quote:

Christian
He's doing it wrong.
There's absolutely no reason an esc would have mega328 in it. At ALL.
He's probably getting chip ID out of his tarduino or something. Or actually, my guess is, ArduinoISP just ALWAYS reports mega328 chip ID for isp commands, as I would imagine nobody would ever bother using it for anything other than arduino,...
Mar 09, 2012, 07:30 AM
Quote:

Christian
No, they didnt switch the chip, and it wont brick the ESC, as it wont flash the ESC .

the F-20A has an atmega8.

there is no problem to flash it using an arduino.
but u need a 120ohm resistor or a small capacitor (>10μF ) to disable autoreset on arduino

Reason for your problem: if you try to flash it with an arduino, unless switching arduino auto-reset off, the flashprog will flash your arduino instead of the ESC.

the solution is adding a 20μF capacitor between the RESET and GND lines (at arduino nano )
i used my arduino nano to flash my turnigy 9x, and it worked fine with this patch.

another way to disable autoreset using a resistor is described here. as i didnt have a 120ohm resistor, i did it the capacitor-way
http://www.arduino.cc/playground/Mai...rialConnection

those arduinoos are soooo useful, i like them.
Last edited by alteskind; Mar 09, 2012 at 07:53 AM. Reason: correcting my bad english.... ;)
Mar 09, 2012, 08:10 AM
Master of Flash
You are right, didn't look at the used programmer. But if he use a atmega328 target from my programm he propably will change the fuses of his arduino.

Christian
Mar 09, 2012, 09:51 AM
I just tried to Flash mt HK-HW30A with the FlashTool by chatch15117.
I heard the beeps when I touched the pads, then there was a msg on screen saying successful. Should I be hearing beeps when I power it up?

So then I used the KK Flash tool but I received this message when I attempted it:
Quote:
/Applications/kkMulticopter Flash Tool.app/Contents/Resources/Java/lib/avrdude/mac/avrdude -C /Applications/kkMulticopter Flash Tool.app/Contents/Resources/Java/lib/avrdude/mac/avrdude.conf -p m88 -P usb -c usbasp-clone -B 8 -U lfuse:w:0xe2:m -U hfuse:w:0xdf:m

avrdude: set SCK frequency to 93750 Hz
avrdude: warning: cannot set sck period. please check for usbasp firmware update.
avrdude: error: programm enable: target doesn't answer. 1
avrdude: initialization failed, rc=-1
Double check connections and try again, or use -F to override
this check.

avrdude done. Thank you.

Error during setting the fuses.
Flashing of firmware aborted.
Have I bricked this thing because it doesn't work.
Mar 09, 2012, 09:56 AM
Master of Flash
Quote:
Originally Posted by Psionic001
I just tried to Flash mt HK-HW30A with the FlashTool by chatch15117.
I heard the beeps when I touched the pads, then there was a msg on screen saying successful. Should I be hearing beeps when I power it up?

So then I used the KK Flash tool but I received this message when I attempted it:

Have I bricked this thing because it doesn't work.
No. Nothing have be changed to your ESC from the kkflashtool. But you did some wrong settings. You should select the "atmega 8 based BL ESC" from the controller drop-down.

Then you can select the firmware.

And flash it. But you also have bad or wrong connections. You should check if they are wired up correctly.

Christian
Mar 09, 2012, 10:15 AM
I don't have Atmega 8 based BL ESC as an option...

Quote:
No. Nothing have be changed to your ESC from the kkflashtool. But you did some wrong settings. You should select the "atmega 8 based BL ESC" from the controller drop-down.

Then you can select the firmware.

And flash it. But you also have bad or wrong connections. You should check if they are wired up correctly.

Christian
Mar 09, 2012, 10:20 AM
Master of Flash
You have to update to 0.60 beta version.

Christian
Mar 09, 2012, 10:37 AM
This is all great work, flashing in Simonk's software once for an installation of new controllers. But what about new versions, or different motors.
I have an application where I want to change the software often. What about a bootloader so that new code can be loaded through the normal control input, PPM or I2C. The PPM input goes to the INT0 pin so there is great flexibility there.
Imagine, just flash once, then load the code later as often as you like, in situ.
Manufacturers are evolving to support our firmware with crystal oscillators and programming pads. Maybe they could even supply them with a bootloader. No extra cost and a possible sales boost?
Mar 09, 2012, 11:03 AM
Wow - what a lot of info here!

I'm a complete noob with multicopters and building my first quad. I have on order the following:

Free Flight FC
HK DT700 Motors (700 kV)
HK-SS20A-HW (card programable)

Nemesis (over in his noob 101 Quad thread) says that the recent version (since last November) of the HK-SS20A (non card programable) release the magic smoke with his quads.

Sooo...I have different ESCs than Nemesis. But do I first try the ESCs stock? Do I reflash them before hooking them up?

Thanks for any help!
Last edited by KC Flyer; Mar 09, 2012 at 11:54 AM.
Mar 09, 2012, 12:16 PM

F-40a

I am having issues trying to flash my F-40A's

Can anyone confirm the pin order?
Can the ESC's be connected to an HK controller while flashing?
Also all 4 ESC are soldered to a power distribution board!

The ECS resets after the flash attempt but says the same as a few post above.
Now my USBasp seems fried win7 says error 43, I can't install drivers nothing and it was working!

So I have reverted to my avrisp mkii but is that 6pin out the same as the HK USBasp?

AVR studio says can't enter programming mode!
Last edited by Ryan Thomas; Mar 09, 2012 at 12:26 PM.
Mar 09, 2012, 12:55 PM
Suspended Account
Yes, that is correct order. I use same touch-programming adapter I made for F30A, so the left corner of it (facing edge of F30 esc) is reset pin. Wasn't aware USBASP was supported by avrstudio. I thought it was only for hax0r crap like avrdude.
Mar 09, 2012, 01:09 PM

F-40a

@ TC

No I switched to the avrisp mkii when I tried avr studio.

UPDATE
got all 4 done, at least the mkii gives a green light when connected,
Last edited by Ryan Thomas; Mar 09, 2012 at 02:17 PM.
Mar 09, 2012, 01:26 PM
Doing some searches and came to the same conclusion, to use arduino as programer it needs a resistor. I managed to get some to make 120 ohm at work. And a couple 10uf caps. Just in case.
I had a usb programer from a friend. Now I just have one atmega328 for my tri and quad and programer.
Shouldn't I use the arduino with kkflashtool?
I hope I dont kill it, i will try it in a couple of hours.
Mar 09, 2012, 01:56 PM
I flashed 4 HK BlueSeries 12A yesterday, they all seem to work. But they all spin in the same direction now!
Since the programming card can't be used, is there another way to change this in software? Unfortunately I failed to record the original settings before reflashing them.
Mar 09, 2012, 01:57 PM
Suspended Account
You can change direction in tgy.asm but you will need to recompile, and reflash the ones that you want reversed.

.equ MOTOR_REVERSE = 0 ; Reverse normal commutation direction
change to 1

also obviously you can swap teh motor wires, but if they're all soldered that might be annoying.
Mar 09, 2012, 02:02 PM
So exactly how important is the heatsink on the FETs? It appears my BlueSeries 12A fried after I flashed it. I tried running a motor for about two seconds right after the flash. (bs_nfet.hex - avrdude said it was cool and stuff)
Mar 09, 2012, 02:03 PM
Suspended Account
I'm running 8 reflashed 12A blueseries and have had zero issues. It certainly didn't burn from lack of heatsink.
Mar 09, 2012, 02:06 PM
Dayumm. Breakdown of what I did: soldered everything for the USBASP, connected a motor to it. Connected it to the PC. Typed the stuff in first post without the fuse stuff. Kapow. What did I do wrong?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mnpnl...8nU-M07MfX9Dw=
Mar 09, 2012, 02:34 PM

Great Work

Hi Simon,

I just want to say "THANK YOU!"

For my new copter I had some Mystery Pentium 60A, but the copter was oscillating all the time - no chance to get it stable. Now I've replaced them with the HK F-20A (60A was not really needed - I hope), reflashed them with your firmware and the copter was stable immediately without any other changes.

Great work!
Mar 09, 2012, 03:09 PM
Master of Flash
Quote:
Originally Posted by Saneless
Dayumm. Breakdown of what I did: soldered everything for the USBASP, connected a motor to it. Connected it to the PC. Typed the stuff in first post without the fuse stuff. Kapow. What did I do wrong?

Which Firmware did you use? You read that you have to select the right Firmware coresponding to the used ESC?

Christian
Mar 09, 2012, 03:20 PM
bs_nfet.hex as per the RapidESC database.
Mar 09, 2012, 04:40 PM
vAMPire
Quote:
Here we go:

(5 min 50 sec)

Thanks again for all the infos, I can really recommend using Simons new software!
Mar 09, 2012, 07:01 PM
hacker
Quote:
Originally Posted by ABLomas
About calibration beeps:
- ESC's that works ok: startup with throttle max, 3 beeps, lower throttle, beep, everything OK
- ESC's that do not work: startup with throttle max, one beep, throttle min, beep, everything works, but throttle range isn't calibrated (starts to spin at about 17% of throttle, one seems to reach max power at ~80% of throttle). Everything looks OK, except they do not try to calibrate ;-)
It sounds like you have this working now, but this makes no sense at all. It should always do the boot-up 3 beeps, then a repeat of the last beep once if the throttle is above 1460s, then two of those once you lower the stick, and finally a longer higher freq beep to indicate armed. If the throttle in the running zone when booting (but not in the programming range), it will just sit waiting for it to go down to off in order to arm. It sounds like your first case wasn't even calibrating it at all.
Mar 09, 2012, 07:03 PM
hacker
Quote:
Originally Posted by pug398
simonk

Is there anything major different about the newest code compared to the december code other than throttle calibration? Standard tgy build.
See https://github.com/sim-/tgy/commits/master/ ... in particular, if you are running a release before 2012-12-31 and code newer than 2011-10-29, upgrade to avoid "random" timing loss. The hashes in the zip names match up with the newest commit at the time of the release. Version numbers are hard.
Mar 09, 2012, 07:12 PM
hacker
Quote:
Originally Posted by Henni
Soo,
I had to readjust throttle range and unfortunatly the motor directions of all esc had changed from the original firmware.
D'oh!! I guess the people who originally tested this never noticed this. I'm inclined to fix the file so that the direction is the same as the stock firmware, which I've tried to keep consistent in all of the other targets. However, then people who upgrade from an older version will have to change their wiring or the MOTOR_REVERSE flag. But this one (tgy6a) is relatively uncommon, so probably not too many people will notice.

I don't have one of these boards, so could you by chance map which pins go to the FETs labelled as "A B C" on the sticker, or at least in a row on the board? I suspect the tgy6a.inc file needs to change such that the adc mux order is probably the same as tgy.inc, and the FET pins need to swap around instead.

For example, the new hk200a.inc is identical to rb50a.inc except that A and C everywhere are swapped, which makes the motor spin the other way. They could actually be the same target, but then the motor wouldn't spin the same way as the original.
Mar 09, 2012, 07:19 PM
hacker
Quote:
Originally Posted by George Shering
This is all great work, flashing in Simonk's software once for an installation of new controllers. But what about new versions, or different motors.
I have an application where I want to change the software often. What about a bootloader so that new code can be loaded through the normal control input, PPM or I2C. The PPM input goes to the INT0 pin so there is great flexibility there.
Imagine, just flash once, then load the code later as often as you like, in situ.
Manufacturers are evolving to support our firmware with crystal oscillators and programming pads. Maybe they could even supply them with a bootloader. No extra cost and a possible sales boost?
I ordered a https://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...er_Brain_.html (via a local friend who just got it but I still need to pick it up) to see if I could bit-bang it into a bootloader. Others (heiko) have already done it and made it work, though some of the boards have capacitors on the pin which reduce the baud rate.

The F-30A type series have a programming card that actually uses 1200 N81 (I have a test implementation of reverse by programming jumper that works). However, these boards also bridge PD2 and PD0 together, so that the uart can be used for this. Making it work on the other boards will require a software implementation.

Anyway, if that USB thing already works with some easy to figure out half duplex serial type interface, and the host side sees it as a serial device, and we can find/make software that timecop can use even in his superior OS, that would be pretty awesome.
Mar 09, 2012, 07:26 PM
hacker
Quote:
So exactly how important is the heatsink on the FETs? It appears my BlueSeries 12A fried after I flashed it. I tried running a motor for about two seconds right after the flash. (bs_nfet.hex - avrdude said it was cool and stuff)
The flames make it go faster! Amazing that it works at the same time.. Can you take close-up shots of both sides of the board? I don't have one of those specifically, but it sure looks like something is wrong.
Mar 09, 2012, 07:26 PM
hacker
Quote:

The flames make it go faster! Amazing that it works at the same time.. Can you take close-up shots of both sides of the board? I don't have one of those specifically, but it sure looks like something is wrong.
Mar 09, 2012, 07:35 PM
Thanks simonk. I had determined I needed to upgrade and thats why I used 3/12 code. Just trying to nail something down that I am experiencing afterwards but don't think its the esc and going to do some tests this weekend. Once again nice job on the code

Quote:
See https://github.com/sim-/tgy/commits/master/ ... in particular, if you are running a release before 2012-12-31 and code newer than 2011-10-29, upgrade to avoid "random" timing loss. The hashes in the zip names match up with the newest commit at the time of the release. Version numbers are hard.
Mar 09, 2012, 07:41 PM
Quote:
This is the best I can do. I can tell you right now that the layout seems a little bit different than the one pictured on page 1 of this thread.

Mar 09, 2012, 07:47 PM
Suspended Account
That's an olde version, which uses bs.hex target. Note lack of diodes on the high side. Flashing bs_nfet to bs target = smokey.
Mar 09, 2012, 07:50 PM
So much for assuming you get fresh inventory from HK after it's been on backorder. Also the reason I bought these (for the uber FETs the experts are raving about)

So how's the Plush firmware these days? I have some 12A Plush that are useable.
Mar 09, 2012, 07:58 PM
Suspended Account
So you mean you bought these BlueSeries 12A (purple/blue label) recently and this is what you got?
https://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...dProduct=11429
this?
When did you order, as they're currently on backorder. All the ones I've got up until like last month have been all-nfet target.
Mar 09, 2012, 08:01 PM
I bought the Mystery ones. They were on backorder up until about two weeks ago I believe (ordered about a week ago). As I understood these would be the same, however I didn't want to wait for the cheaper ones. Double backfire I guess.

Quick Reply