Thread Tools
Sep 29, 2012, 10:10 AM
g0t rabb1t?
ABLomas's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by LittleMo
As I said, I have no way to really compare them properly (as in on my quad). I am hoping someone else with the same ESC has.
I'm using more than 18 of them in my copters. But i do not see your question.
It is better? Ofc!
It is worth? For you - no. For me - yes. Do not ask why ;-)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bacon2002
1) Am I correct that I need to flash these ESCs (Mystery Fire Dragon 30A) in order to get them to work with the Multiwii SE?
No.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bacon2002
2) Connecting a programmer to the ESC's processor - This I think I can answer, my best/only option is to use micro clips attaching directly to the processors pins (as the Fire Dragon ESC does not have any convenient pads)
No. Wrong.
Simply solder wires. Will be faster than prepare clips, then use them (no idea how long you will wait for them).
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bacon2002
3) Can I use the standard "KKmulticopter" programmer to flash the chip or do I need to use one of the ones that are mentioned ie "USBasp AVR Programming"- don't worry about this as I just realised I already have a USBasp programmer anyway.
Yes, you can.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bacon2002
4) The firmware I should use - I believe that this should be the "tgy.hex" firmware
Again, read 1st post in this thread. There is link to google docs and your ESC is mentioned here. And even hex filename...
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bacon2002
5) Should I just ditch the Fire Dragons and buy different ESCs - If the firmware allows me to use the Multiwii SE then I suppose I stick with them
MWC does not require custom firmware at all.
But if you want best performance - get F30A, HK blue 12A or some other efficient ESC.
That one will work too. So...
Sign up now
to remove ads between posts
Sep 29, 2012, 10:23 AM
Kiwi in Germany
whakahere's Avatar
I need some help getting my HK usblinker to work. I plug it into my mac but I can't get it to find the usb. What could I be doing wrong?

edit: I found I needed to install the drivers which now I have. But it only times out. (see picture)
Last edited by whakahere; Sep 29, 2012 at 10:45 AM.
Sep 29, 2012, 11:38 AM
Registered User
TheFernMan,
Thanks for the link I ordered one of those HK atmega flashing tools.

ABLomas,
There is no way I could solder wires directly onto a chip that small. Assuming that is what you are suggesting (to be honest I can't tell what you mean from what you posted).
With regards the hex file I found this in the document that you are referring to:-
https://www.rcgroups.com/forums/show...postcount=2011
The above link seems to be suggesting I need to use the "tgy.hex" firmware?

Thanks for the help,
Sep 29, 2012, 12:02 PM
g0t rabb1t?
ABLomas's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bacon2002
There is no way I could solder wires directly onto a chip that small. Assuming that is what you are suggesting (to be honest I can't tell what you mean from what you posted).
Then you will have problems with nanoclips too.
Actually, soldering wires to atmega is very easy and fast, done that maaaaany times:

But if that's a serious problem - use something like:
http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...dProduct=27195
(backordered - so, won't be fast).
Soldering wires to chip is less than 1 minute for all after some training.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bacon2002
With regards the hex file I found this in the document that you are referring to:-
https://www.rcgroups.com/forums/show...postcount=2011
The above link seems to be suggesting I need to use the "tgy.hex" firmware?
Right. You can try to flash one firmware, test, flash another. Just... use battery with dummy load (old auto lamp for example) or lab psu for safety.
Sep 29, 2012, 12:55 PM
Registered User
Quote:
Originally Posted by ABLomas
...
But if that's a serious problem - use something like:
http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...dProduct=27195
(backordered - so, won't be fast)...
I bought one of these as I figured it'd save me messing with soldering, etc. Was keen to try it out today with the 10A ESC's I just got too, only to discover that they use a smaller footprint version of the chip .

Looks like I'll either be soldering or (more likely) will make up an adapter using the pogo pins I also ordered (but was hoping not to have to mess with).

cheers,
Andrew
Sep 29, 2012, 02:13 PM
Registered User
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bacon2002
TheFernMan,
Thanks for the link I ordered one of those HK atmega flashing tools.

ABLomas,
There is no way I could solder wires directly onto a chip that small. Assuming that is what you are suggesting (to be honest I can't tell what you mean from what you posted).
With regards the hex file I found this in the document that you are referring to:-
https://www.rcgroups.com/forums/show...postcount=2011
The above link seems to be suggesting I need to use the "tgy.hex" firmware?

Thanks for the help,
While your waiting for HK to send your programming lead

Try this for now https://www.rcgroups.com/forums/show...postcount=4343 suits all skill levels
Sep 29, 2012, 05:22 PM
Fly, crash, rebuild.
I'm very pleased with my F30A Simonized.

I want to build a micro Tricopter from Blueskyrc and have a Turnigy Plush 10a laying around. Want to recycle it into that project. Can it be flashed?

Name: HWP10A.jpg
Views: 101
Size: 43.0 KB
Description:
Plush 10A Brushless Speed Controller
The Plush series of ESC are a very good quality controller with a broad range of programming features and smooth throttle response compared to other BESCs in the same price range.
These escs have linear throttle curve and can handle 10A continuously.

Cont Current: 10A
Burst Current: 12A
BEC Mode: Linear
BEC : 5v / 2A
Lipo Cells: 2-4
NiMH : 5-12
Weight: 9g
Size: 27x17x6mm
Sep 29, 2012, 05:30 PM
Multicopter Addict
braindead4554's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by shelterock
I'm very pleased with my F30A Simonized.

I want to build a micro Tricopter from Blueskyrc and have a Turnigy Plush 10a laying around. Want to recycle it into that project. Can it be flashed?

Attachment 5193381
Plush 10A Brushless Speed Controller
The Plush series of ESC are a very good quality controller with a broad range of programming features and smooth throttle response compared to other BESCs in the same price range.
These escs have linear throttle curve and can handle 10A continuously.

Cont Current: 10A
Burst Current: 12A
BEC Mode: Linear
BEC : 5v / 2A
Lipo Cells: 2-4
NiMH : 5-12
Weight: 9g
Size: 27x17x6mm
open it up and see what kind of chip it has. Then goto the first post and read it all.
Sep 29, 2012, 09:44 PM
Fly, crash, rebuild.
Quote:
Originally Posted by braindead4554
open it up and see what kind of chip it has. Then goto the first post and read it all.
It's currently in a epp flying wing and would gut it and buy the same motor ESC combo for a micro tricopter if I can flash the plush 10a. It maybe a Silab chip, haven't and don't want to cut the shrink wrap just yet. Figured folks may know already.
H
Sep 29, 2012, 10:46 PM
Registered User
plush 10a will be Silab chip. Can still be used http://www.helifreak.com/showthread.php?t=390517 and if you own an arduino can use this http://www.helifreak.com/showthread.php?t=432282
Sep 30, 2012, 04:19 AM
Registered User
Quote:
Originally Posted by RedSky
My new 1100mm octo had its first flight today, using the new flash on F30A ESCs driving iBM 2814Q motors with Gemfan 11x4.5 props. Flight controller is Wookong-M on firmware 5.14. It's perhaps not a very revealing test of the ESC flash as the design of the Octo is my own - the only parts that have flown before are the motors and flight controller, so there is no basis for comparison but I'm very impressed with the ESCs so far.

Operating at an AUW of only 3845g, minus camera and gimbal (will be 1700g) and retracts (another 450g) and with only 2x 4S 3300 mAh in wind of around 5 km/h it flew perfectly and very quietly on WK-M default gains, in fact the best behaved multi I've ever flown by some margin, so stable it looked as if it was nailed in place.

The motors and ESCs were barely warm after 5 minutes of gentle flight and no odd noises or hesitations occurred - so "nothing to see here".

Tomorrow I'll build the retracts and soon there will be ballasted flights, up to the intended MAUW of 7kg and a change to 13 X 6.5 CF props and some hard manoevering tests before the gimbal and camera go on.
More flight testing over the past few days - some flights today at up to 5kg AUW and in turbulent 20 km/h wind conditions and some rapid yaw tests. Still perfect performance from the F30As with SK's new flash.
Sep 30, 2012, 06:30 AM
Fly, crash, rebuild.
Quote:
Originally Posted by SadSack
plush 10a will be Silab chip. Can still be used http://www.helifreak.com/showthread.php?t=390517 and if you own an arduino can use this http://www.helifreak.com/showthread.php?t=432282
Thank you, SadSack, you're a scholar. H
Sep 30, 2012, 06:38 AM
Registered User
hi

i want flash my mystery ESC 12A with BS.HEX but impossible to donwload with kkMulticopterFlashTool.

the same for BS N FET.hex

where i can found the last fimware BS.hex

thanks
Last edited by ste0024; Sep 30, 2012 at 07:58 AM.
Sep 30, 2012, 11:07 AM
Too Many Thread Subscriptions
TheFernMan's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by ste0024
hi

i want flash my mystery ESC 12A with BS.HEX but impossible to donwload with kkMulticopterFlashTool.

the same for BS N FET.hex

where i can found the last fimware BS.hex

thanks
Latest firmware can be found https://github.com/sim-/tgy/downloads

The latest lazyzero kkflashtool should work too.
Last edited by TheFernMan; Oct 05, 2012 at 10:20 AM.
Sep 30, 2012, 03:31 PM
Registered User
Ok, so I flashed my Turnigy Plush 25 amp with the KKmulticopter Flash Tool from Lazyzero.

It looked like everything went fine. I still get the old Turnigy start up tone however. Shouldn't I be hearing a different tone at start-up? How do I check wether the flashing was succesfull?

Also when I try to flash them again I get a warning about it not beeing able to set the SCK period. (both in version 0.63 and 0.70)

Anybody that can tell me what's happening?



Flash the firmware from repository.

C:\Users\Menno\Downloads\kkmulticopterflashtool_0. 70beta4\lib\avrdude\windows\avrdude.exe -C C:\Users\Menno\Downloads\kkmulticopterflashtool_0. 70beta4\lib\avrdude\windows\avrdude.conf -p m8 -P usb -c usbasp -B 8 -e -U lfuse:r:C:\Users\Menno\Downloads\kkmulticopterflas htool_0.70beta4\tmp\/lfuse.hex:r -U hfuse:r:C:\Users\Menno\Downloads\kkmulticopterflas htool_0.70beta4\tmp\/hfuse.hex:r

avrdude.exe: set SCK frequency to 93750 Hz
avrdude.exe: warning: cannot set sck period. please check for usbasp firmware update.
avrdude.exe: error: programm enable: target doesn't answer. 1
avrdude.exe: initialization failed, rc=-1
Double check connections and try again, or use -F to override
this check.


avrdude.exe done. Thank you.

Error during reading of high fuse.
Flashing of firmware aborted.


Thread Tools

Similar Threads
Category Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Discussion Rctimer 30A esc cutting out with KK board Efliernz Multirotor Drone Talk 2 May 26, 2011 02:20 PM
Sold FS: Tricopter Parts- HK401b, Pentium 30A ESC, rctimer 750kv motors pwu_1 Aircraft - General - Miscellaneous (FS/W) 2 Jan 18, 2011 09:58 PM
Sold RCTimer 2826-6 + ESC 30A New in packaging will trade as well Pics Added! planebldr Aircraft - Electric - Power Systems (FS/W) 4 May 25, 2010 09:54 PM
Discussion RCTimer 30A Programmable ESC hunter7193 Power Systems 8 Jan 02, 2010 02:27 PM
For Sale Several New ESC's - 10a, 20a, 30a - Reduced Callen9345 Aircraft - Electric - Power Systems (FS/W) 0 Apr 20, 2009 02:31 PM