Sep 28, 2011, 03:13 PM
Fly more Foam
Thread OP
Discussion

5mm wire and EFlite 60-120 elec. retracts

Ok, i went and bought the E-Flite 60-120 size tricycle gear set for my A10 and want to use Robart 3/8" struts. I have found that the nicely chromed wire that comes with the set isnt music wire but a lesser grade with copper mixed in. This to me raises a red flag as to the durability of the wire on a 14lb plane using the Robart struts.
Is there a place anywhere state side that would have a true music wire material in a 5mm and 4mm size to make new pins to mount the struts?

On another note as to the retracts, i have already, right out of the box, get to send one unit back because one of the motor wires broke from the pcb at the solder point. Yes i could just solder it back BUT the capacitor or what ever smt item is directly next to where the wire goes and dont know if the heat from an iron would damage the overcurrent cutout function of the unit. A HH customer service tech hinted to this when i called about this issue!

Possible fix: Exposed wiring for one is one strike, no strain relief.....strike two.
Cant enclose the wires BUT you can make a strain relief for the wires so they dont move near as much when the gear is activated. Take a piece of heat shrink about 1/4-1/2" wide or long, depending on your preference, and place over the motor AND motor wires and shrink. This does require the removal of the anchor pin for the motor to be removed briefly to apply and then reinstalled. There is just enough room between the motor and frame to allow this without binding the motor when operated.
So far, no other issues have come up and i have tried the retracts with the 3/8" sturts and 3.75" Robart Scale wheels with now problems with 4.8v. Might go with a dedicated BEC set for 6-7v to account for air resistance while in flight. They retract forward on the A-10!

Im would like to hear ideas on a replacement wire or other thoughts that might fit this scenerio.
to remove ads between posts
Sep 28, 2011, 09:26 PM
here ya go https://sdp-si.com/eStore/Direct.asp?GroupID=466
Sep 28, 2011, 10:17 PM
Fly more Foam
Thread OP
Great! Will the 303, non harden material work for this or does it need to be harder?
Sep 29, 2011, 01:39 PM
Fly more Foam
Thread OP

This will work.

OK, i asked around and found out from someone that works in a machine shop that music wire IS harder than 303ss nonharden and the other choice was 416ss treated. The
416ss is what i ordered for use on the E-Flite retracts with Robart 3/8" struts. The wire mounting inserts for the struts need to be drilled out for the upsize using any NUMBERED drill index set.
Oct 03, 2011, 04:59 PM
yeah I would go with the hardened
Oct 03, 2011, 05:20 PM
Fly more Foam
Thread OP
As of today, pins are in route via UPS. Horizon has received my faulty gear also today so will work further on this a bit later.

Quick Reply