Sep 28, 2011, 06:56 AM
RPM
Thread OP
Build Log

TOP MODELTEHNIK ASW28 - 3 metre

TOP MODELTEHNIK ASW28 - 3 metre

Hi guys I have just purchased an ASW28 - 3 metre Scale ARF Kit from DESERT AIRCRAFT AUSTRALIA www.desertaircraft.com.au
They stock quite a wide range of ARF Scale Sailplane kits made in Europe from TOP MODELTEHNIK with wingspan ranging from 2 metres up to 5 metres.

The 3 metre ASW28 has an Epoxy glass fuselage, Foam Obechi wings covered with Oracover and hollow moulded tail surfaces. This kit can be purchased with fully moulded wings or Foam Obechi wings. I went with the Foam wing option as this model will be used mostly on the slope with some of the landing areas being a bit rough - so I think Foam covered wings present less of a challenge for me if I ever need to do any repairs - this wing option was also more affordable.

The model came well packed with all parts in plastic and lots of Bubble wrap.

Here are a few Pics before I clean off the bench and start building.

regards Paul
to remove ads between posts
Sep 28, 2011, 07:12 AM
Hi Paul,it looks nice.What is the steel wing rod diameter in mm?.My ASW 28-2.5 metre uses a 8mm diameter stainless rod.regards damo
Sep 28, 2011, 08:00 AM
RPM
Thread OP

Steel Wing Rod

Quote:
Originally Posted by Damian Couzoff View Post
Hi Paul,it looks nice.What is the steel wing rod diameter in mm?.My ASW 28-2.5 metre uses a 8mm diameter stainless rod.regards damo
Hi Damo, just measured the wing rod 10mm x 350mm long, sounds about right compared to your model.

Tomorrow night I will post a pic of the model assembled.

Paul
Sep 28, 2011, 08:14 AM
Great Paul.

Looking forward to following it.
Sep 28, 2011, 08:14 AM
TEAM OZSKUNKWORX
Nice Paul looking forward to seeing that baby on the local slopes

Shane
Sep 28, 2011, 07:25 PM
Very nice Paul, looking forward to see it in the air.
Knut
Sep 29, 2011, 05:37 PM
RPM
Thread OP

MODELTEHNIK ASW28 - 3 metre

Thanks Guys I appreciate your comments.

here is a pic of how it goes together straight out of the box - this is one very nice looking model!
Sep 30, 2011, 07:50 PM
High Lift Coefficient
That's a good looking model alright. Hoping to see some in flight shots soon.

Sean
Oct 01, 2011, 07:54 PM
RPM
Thread OP

TOP MODELTEHNIK ASW28 - 3 metre - Ailerons

I have started by fitting the wing servos to both wings, decided on the Hyperion DS-095,(metal gears) - these could be a bit of and overkill but I have used these servos on other models and have found them to be very reliable with heaps of torque.
The servo plugs will be cut off and soldered to the extension wires once I have the aileron linkages finished and the throws adjusted. I usually try to set the travels and servo direction on each individual servo before soldering them to the wiring harness and MPX plug. This avoids one or more of the servos running in the wrong direction and being driven to the extreme of their travel and possible servo damage, the first time the tx and rx are turned on.
Also set up a program today for this model in my Futaba 8FG transmitter.

Next job will be the spoilers

Paul

Sean, thanks - I will post a video of the model in the air and also a friend has offered to take an in air video from from a camera mounted on his model - bit more work to do before then though.
Last edited by PaulDfly; Oct 05, 2011 at 07:37 AM. Reason: better photos
Oct 01, 2011, 08:05 PM
RPM
Thread OP

Servo wing cups

I NEED A BIT OF ADVICE PLEASE GUYS.

In using the larger servos for the Ailerons I was unable to use the "plastic servo wing cups" supplied in the kit - these are meant to be glued into the round holes and cut flush with the wing surface before mounting the servos.

I have not used these before so I am not sure how much strength these actually provide to the wing, the ailerons are are a fair way toward the tips so I am hoping this will be ok.

Paul
Oct 02, 2011, 05:37 AM
RPM
Thread OP

TOP MODELTEHNIK ASW28 - 3 metre "Spoilers"

Spoilers
The spoilers look well made with the casing in the wing and the blades being made of aluminium, all the pins and drive plate are brass and then a couple of plastic arms. They move up and down very little friction and also lock when retracted.

Thats the good news - but I seemed to struggle to connect the pushrod and thread it through the small slot in the end of the casing in the wing, probably my fat fingers but I managed to jam the whole thing and had to take the top off the spoiler blade.
The other wing went a bit easier. The HXT900 servo in the pic "spoiler linkage test" was only used to make sure everything was working - I still have to buy a couple of small metal gear servos.

regards Paul
Oct 05, 2011, 07:06 AM
RPM
Thread OP

TOP MODELTEHNIK ASW28 - 3 metre CANOPY

Canopy

Sorry for not posting sooner, but I got a bit carried away with building.

This model has the Canopy Pre Glued to the Frame - I liked this, as glueing canopies is not a favourite job of mine.
Also the front retaining pin and two locating pins midway along the frame and also the Fuselage Canopy Latch are pre installed. The fit of the Canopy to the fuzz is exceptionally good. little wind resistance here!

Paul
Oct 05, 2011, 07:11 AM
RPM
Thread OP

TOP MODELTEHNIK ASW28 - 3 metre Horizontal Stab

Horizontal Stab Elevator Ball linkage.

The Horizontal Stab is hollow moulded with a live kevlar hinge and has the mounting bolt holes pre drilled. Not much needs to be done here apart from the fitting of the ball link for the Elevator - To make a thread for the ball link I just screwed a 2mm screw into the pre drilled hole in the elevator and then screwed in the ball link with a bit of epoxy in the hole and on the thread.
I also used my dremel to make enough clearance for the plastic linkage.

Supplied in the kit are MP Jet clevises, Ball links & Threaded couplers.
MP Jet are what I normally use on all my models these days .

Paul
Oct 05, 2011, 07:19 AM
RPM
Thread OP

TOP MODELTEHNIK ASW28 - 3 metre TAIL POST

TAIL POST

Next the Rudder post incorporating the Elevator servo.

What I think is a great feature, is that even after the rudder post is glued into the fin the elevator servo is accessible and can be removed by just taking off the rudder.
The rudder is removed by pulling out the 2mm steel rod at the bottom of the rudder - this rod runs thru the 2 x hinges and runs the full length of the rudder

regards Paul
Oct 05, 2011, 08:16 AM
bie
bie
maidenflight-postponer
Hi Paul,

for the instrument panel of the ASW 28: Have a look at the website of ASW-28-manufacturer Alexander-Schleicher-Werke.

Go to FLUGZEUGE and then choose ASW 28...

Andy

Quick Reply