Sep 27, 2011, 03:13 PM
Thread OP
Discussion

So here I sit...grinning from ear to ear

Just got back from my lunch break.

Having been putting around with my Champ for the last month or so, and reading comments/reviews on this board, I bought myself a DX6i. What a difference to the stock RTF controller!!

Today, after reading reviews/stories about what 4 channel micro to get, I raced up to my local RC shop (Aeromicro in Santa Clara CA - GREAT shop) to pickup a PZ micro t28.

Having already programmed the transmitter (Low rate 70% & 35% expo across the board), and having charged batteries ready to go, I couldn't wait and maiden-ed it on the way back to work.

OMG!!! WHAT A JOY TO FLY!!!

Very zippy compared to the trusty Champ, but I found it VERY controllable. Even in a few gusts of wind, I had no real problems (a few panic moments but it all turned out well).

If you're considering a micro to transition to 4 channel - I can say that this bird is well worth looking at!!!

Next step - BIGGER PLANE!!! hehehe

Now - if it wasn't for this pesky job thing....
to remove ads between posts
Sep 27, 2011, 05:18 PM
Yes the UM T-28 is a great little plane and survives crashes well. Makes a good real life sim.
Sep 27, 2011, 06:12 PM
It's great when it all comes together like that, it's a great path to follow.

Next up, take a look at the P-51 or F4U for more UM fun.

Congrats and enjoy!
Sep 27, 2011, 07:38 PM
That's what its all about! I love reading beginner success stories. It almost breaks my heart to see the threads about guys who thrashed their brand new EDF and now want to throw in the towell. If only everyone realized that learning the right way is SOOOOO much better, cheaper, and more fun than the overdone crash and cry method.

I say get that UM T-28 nailed down and then get the big one. I LOVE that plane. Don't have one but I've flown them. Keep it up!
Sep 27, 2011, 07:43 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by rkathner
... Champ ... bought myself a DX6i... PZ micro t28 ... OMG!!!
Oh yeah. Great progression! We ought to have a sticky on the beginner's forum that recommends this!

Quote:
... Now - if it wasn't for this pesky job thing....
Man, if you could just solve that challenge for us all, you'd be very, very popular.
Sep 28, 2011, 03:10 AM
Aeromicro is my fav store.

Quote:
Just got back from my lunch break.

Having been putting around with my Champ for the last month or so, and reading comments/reviews on this board, I bought myself a DX6i. What a difference to the stock RTF controller!!

Today, after reading reviews/stories about what 4 channel micro to get, I raced up to my local RC shop (Aeromicro in Santa Clara CA - GREAT shop) to pickup a PZ micro t28.

Having already programmed the transmitter (Low rate 70% & 35% expo across the board), and having charged batteries ready to go, I couldn't wait and maiden-ed it on the way back to work.

OMG!!! WHAT A JOY TO FLY!!!

Very zippy compared to the trusty Champ, but I found it VERY controllable. Even in a few gusts of wind, I had no real problems (a few panic moments but it all turned out well).

If you're considering a micro to transition to 4 channel - I can say that this bird is well worth looking at!!!

Now - if it wasn't for this pesky job thing....
Sep 28, 2011, 05:17 AM
The UM T28 was my second plane after the Champ too. Then I moved up to the fill sized PZ T28 without any issues at all, though it did take some time to get the landings down. Now I'm practicing with a UM Sbach and hope to move up to a 3DHS 41" Edge soon.
Sep 28, 2011, 10:41 AM
Great post, its nice when all is well. Like you said, as for that job thing.. lol. I find myself daydreaming during work about flying quite a bit... Makes things just a little more tolerable when you have something to look forward to
Sep 28, 2011, 03:41 PM
Quote:
In my case, I went from Ember II to UM T-28, but the result was the same. The UM T-28 is just a fantastic little aileron trainer.

As far as for getting a bigger plane, my suggestion is getting a EPP foamy. I ended up with a Twisted Hobbys Xtra Slick with a 31" wingspan. There are other similar 3d capable EPPs out there as well. The great thing is that they are extremely durable, can be flown in spaces similar (actually somewhat smaller!) than the UM T-28, don't cost alot (I paid 181$ to put mine together and that included 3 batteries, extra prop, etc.), and you get to learn 3d aerobatics.

You might quickly outgrow the UM T-28, but that is a good thing! It means that it does a great job as a 4 channel trainer.

It is a great progression.
Sep 28, 2011, 05:51 PM
Thread OP
Thanks for the responses all!

Had another lunchtime break flying session today - this could get serious!

I am so lucky to have a cricket field (with astroturf pitch - the perfect runway) 2 minutes from my office. (to our American friends - I'm an Australian living in CA - cricket fields are few and far between in this country!!)

I must admit - had a lawndart accident today - got over confident on an inverted pass No major damage - just a bit of crinkling on the nose - any ways to push these back out? The plane still fly's as if nothing happened, but I wanna try and keep it looking good...
Sep 29, 2011, 10:54 AM
Drone offender FA377YHFNC
And here is the best answer to "I've flown my Champ. What's next?"

The answer is a good radio! Although the radios that come with RTF versions of the Champ, Parkzone UM T-28, Vapor, Ember, and lots of other 2.4 gig Spektrum micros, works well, there is still no way to describe the improvement you get even with a DX5e radio, much less the much more sensible DX6i.

If you're in rkathner's position, buy the radio. You'll grin from ear to ear too, and reap the benefit with every plane you buy.

Quick Reply