Flyzone Micro Super Cub RTF Review

!Introduction

| spec
|
| @IMG_5917.jpg
|> <b>Wingspan:</b> |< 17.7 / 450mm
|> <b>Weight:</b> |< 1.0 oz. / 29g
|> <b>Length:</b> |< 13.2" / 335mm
|> <b>Servos:</b> |< Included (HCAA6320)
|> <b>Transmitter:</b> |< Tactic TTX402 2.4 GHz. with charging port
|> <b>Receiver:</b> |< Included
|> <b>Battery:</b> |< 3.7v 130 mAh LiPo (HCAA6309)
|> <b>Motor:</b> |< Brushed (HCAA6307)
|> <b>ESC:</b> |< Included
|> <b>Typical Flight Duration:</b> |< 8 - 10 minutes
|> <b>Manufacturer:</b> |< <a href=http://www.flyzoneplanes.com>Flyzone</a>
|> <b>Available From:</b> |< Your Local Hobby Shop
|> <b>MSRP:</b> |< $79.99

The 17.7" Micro Cub is the little brother of the Flyzone 48" Super Cub. As a micro it is very portable and comes in a carrying box that allows the plane to be stowed with the wings and struts installed. This is as close to an RTF as possible, with all the high end features you would expect from Flyzone. The all-foam Cub includes a 3-channel Tactic 2.4 GHz transmitter with digital trims, servos, receiver, ESC, five AA batteries, and a 3.7v LiPo battery that can be charged through a port on the transmitter. To finish the Cub out, fairings, struts and tail wheel are included making this a really great looking and flying tail dragger.

Flyzone has done a wonderful job in their foam molding. The wing has ribs, and the fuselage has stringers molded for detail. The color is also accurate. The decals are spot-on with the black striping and the script Super Cub on the cowl. I suggest you get those batteries installed in the radio and start charging your LiPo as it will soon be time to fly November 8121 Alpha.

!Kit Contents

The Flyzone Micro Cub has everything included you need to fly the Cub right out of the box. This is the perfect gift: you don't have to wait on anything other than charging the battery to get airborne. The servos, motor, receiver and ESC are installed. The Micro Cub is equally comfortable indoors, and in calm winds, flies absolutely beautifully outdoors.

@IMGA0554.jpg: The Micro Cub is out of the box.
@IMGA0519.jpg: A nice travel and storage box
@IMGA0521.jpg: I agree.
@IMGA0524.jpg: A handle to make it even easier to take to the park
@IMGA0526.jpg: Everything packs into the box even after you fly.
@IMGA0527.jpg: All batteries included.
@IMGA0555.jpg: Excellent instructions
@IMGA0528.jpg: The transmitter tucks in under the wing. It is secured by tight fitting foam.
@IMGA0531.jpg: Packing material is placed to secure the Micro Cub and keep the box top from crushing downward.
@IMGA0532.jpg: Same across the rear deck

*Micro Cub RTF Includes:
*Complete airframe painted and decal-ed
*Tactic 2.4 GHz Transmitter and receiver
*Prop, spinner, main gear fairings, landing gear, and tail wheel
*3.7v 130mAh LiPo
*Five AA batteries
*Installed brushed motor and gear box
*Two servos

*Kit needs:
*Absolutely nothing

!Assembly

There is but one step to get you into the air that is really optional: The struts provide a cosmetic look of scale to the Micro Cub, but serve no purpose with regard to the integrity of the wing in flight. Go ahead and install them as they look great and they are easy to work with. Make sure before you remove the tape that the struts are aligned, that the tabs are bent to meet the wing and fuselage, and if necessary, a slight bit of foam might need to be removed from the fuselage.

@IMGA0545.jpg: The underside of the wing has indentations for the struts.
@IMGA0546.jpg: The fuselage has molded recesses for the strut.
@IMGA0557.jpg: Double stick tape is provided on the strut.
@IMGA0562.jpg: You may need to remove a little foam to get the strut to secure.
@IMGA0569.jpg: Bend the strut tab if necessary to mate to the fuselage.
@IMGA0564.jpg: Stick the strut to the wing.
@IMGA0567.jpg: It will look like this.
@IMGA0556.jpg: Right side is attached left side is next.
@IMGA0572.jpg: And here we are standing proud.

A word on the struts per the instructions; Do not move the wing or increase the dihedral when you install the strut or when you relax the wing, the struts will bend and look weird. Even if the struts do not fit perfectly into the wing pockets that is OK. The tape allows the strut to be lifted and reset if you do not get it right the first time. If you have any trouble with the tape sticking, use a glue stick to reestablish the stickiness of the strut pads.

!!Radio

I have flown many planes with Tactic radios. These are high quality and should give you years of great service. The 2.4 GHz. Tactic provided with the Micro Cub is somewhat unique with a charging port built into the back of the radio. The radio is light weight, but feels like it is well made. LEDs are provided for charge indication and power.

@IMGA0573.jpg: The Tactic radio uses 5 AA batteries.
@IMGA0574.jpg: The charging port has a cover door.
@IMGA0576.jpg: The on/off switch button may be loose in the box. This is where it belongs.
@IMGA0577.jpg: The 3.7v LiPo plugs into the back charging port.
@IMGA0575.jpg: When charging, a green LED is illuminated.

!!Walk Around

There are some nice extras on the Micro Cub.

@IMGA0548.jpg: The fairing are well secured.
@IMGA0549.jpg: The tail wheel is not steerable.
@IMGA0547.jpg: The tail wheel is mounted tightly to the fuselage.
@IMGA0550.jpg: The linkages can be adjusted with needle nose pliers by bending.
@IMGA0542.jpg: The tail wheel is more than cosmetic.
@IMGA0541.jpg: The main wheels spread out correctly.
@IMGA0540.jpg: Wheels are well secured.
@IMGA0539.jpg: The Cub swings a 4.5” prop.

!!Completion

It's time to go fly so let's get the battery charged. The charge will take about 25 minutes. You must turn off the transmitter, but when you plug in the 3.7v LiPo, a green light will come on and stay on until the battery is charged. A red light will come on when you power up the transmitter. The wires coming from the fuselage are just long enough to reach, hold the female plug and plug in the battery. Be careful to not pull on the wires.

@IMGA0544.jpg: Velcro is installed on the fuselage.
@IMGA0578.jpg: The Velcro secures the battery.
@IMGA0580.jpg: The red LED indicates the transmitter is on.

!Flying

I think the Micro Cub flies great. It is stable, turns easily, and has plenty of power to get into the air and maneuver. The motor and prop gearing produce some noise, but that helps you see and know the throttle setting if you are a beginner. At one ounce, the Micro Cub does not feel like much in your hand - it is more of a pinch between two fingers to get a hold of the plane.

In the air it looks like a Cub, so this is a great place to start your collection of Cub variants. I think the flight character is fun and very easy to control. The control inputs are enough so that it turns, but not too much to cause stalls. It is also slow enough and has a good glide slope that should a new flyer remember to back off the throttle once it is in the air, they likely will have the ability to fly the plane with little problem.

!!Basics

This is a basic three-channel plane. The extra dihedral helps stabilize the flight, and it wants to fly level. As you power up the nose will rise, but for a beginner plane that is good. The trims worked well so the factory setup is done in such a way that first flights should be successful.

!!Taking Off and Landing

You can take off the ground or hand launch the Micro Cub. I have video below showing both. The ground roll is about two feet as the plane wants to get airborne. I did think it was pretty nice that the tail dragger will turn on the ground as a tail dragger should, and it is not difficult to take off from the ground. The hand launch is gentle, and it will exit the hand ready to fly.

!!Aerobatics/Special Flight Performance

The Micro Cub does some of what the full scale Cub does with loops. I could not get it to roll easily, but remember, the old Cub had a gravity-fed fuel tank so it never was designed to spend much voluntary time upside down. The Micro Cub will loop over and over, but it is those slow fly-bys that will get folks' attention.

!!Is This For a Beginner?

Yes indeed. I cannot comment on the crash worthiness, but I would guess at one ounce, damage will be minimal if nonexistent. If one were to fly in a park off the grass you could more than likely take a few hits, pick it up and fly it some more. The components are well made, the wing is tight, the Micro Cub is repairable and the fuselage could be glued back if needed. At $79, you get a pretty good deal with everything you need to get airborne. If I were arguably still a kid, I would be very excited to see one of these as a gift. For all you other new pilots or folks that want to give this great hobby a try, I cannot think of a better first airplane then a Cub.

*Part Numbers
*HCAA6370 (LXBAZM) Hobbico Wing Set Micro Super Cub
*HCAA6371 (LXBAZN) Hobbico Tail Set Micro Super Cub
*HCAA6372 (LXBAZP) Hobbico Fuselage Micro Super Cub
*HCAA6373 (LXBAZR) Hobbico Landing Gear Micro Super Cub
*HCAA6374 (LXBAZS) Hobbico Pushrods Micro Super Cub
*HCAA6375 (LXBAZT) Hobbico Wing Struts Micro Super Cub
*HCAA6376 (LXBAZU) Hobbico Control Horns Micro Super Cub
*HCAA6377 (LXBAZV) Hobbico Spinner Cone Micro Super Cub
*HCAA6378 (LXBAZW) Hobbico Decal Sheet Micro Super Cub
*HCAA6348 (LXZXL6) Hobbico Propeller Micro Super Cub
*HCAA6350 (LXZXM3) Hobbico Gear Box Version 2 Micro Super Cub
*HCAA6307 (LXYLJ3) Hobbico Motor Micro Super Cub
*HCAA6309 (LXYLJ5) Hobbico LiPo Battery Micro Super Cub
*HCAA6320 (LXZTM2) Hobbico Servo Super Cub RTF
*TACJ2402 Tactic TTX402 Micro Tactic 4 channel Tx
*TACL0421 Tactic TR421 4ch Rx Control Board with Actuators

!!Flight Video/Photo Gallery

@IMG_5856.jpg: What a perfect pairing!
@IMG_5861.jpg: Looks big doesn’t it?
@IMG_5913.jpg: Great lines.
@IMG_5912.jpg: The Micro Cub turns easily.
@IMG_5908.jpg: Hard to tell this is not real.
@IMG_5906.jpg: Just a beautiful airplane.
@IMG_5877.jpg: Who does not love a Cub?
@IMG_5876.jpg: The scale styling is very accurate.
@IMG_5873.jpg: Slow flight is exceptional.
@IMG_5872.jpg: You can see the dihedral is steep.
@IMG_5866.jpg: Check out the wing ribs.

+Micro Cub controls.mov: This is a short video showing the rudder and elevator movement and the ESC arming procedure and ESC reaction to throttle stick movement.

+Micro Cub Flight.mov: The Flyzone Micro Cub takes to the air. Video shows both ground and hand launch.

!Conclusion

The Flyzone Micro Cub is fun to fly. I am attracted to Piper Cubs, and regardless of their size, I think they have a special place in our atmosphere. This one is easy to fly and has everything you need to take to the air. It is also unique in that it will fit back into the box so you can store it for another day of flying. The battery charger is another great feature that allows you to charge on your way to the field, get a good 10 minute flight in and then re-charge while you grab a bite to eat over lunch and fly once more. Flyzone has done a quality job of keeping the Piper Super Cub in our minds and in the air for many years to come.

*I liked this:
*Portability
*Accuracy in molding, color and decals
*Flight character

*I would like to see this
*I think a tech bulletin could be provided that the struts are optional
Last edited by 78dave; Oct 13, 2011 at 04:52 PM.
to remove ads between posts
Oct 16, 2011, 03:39 PM
Suspended Account
Excellent write up.

Are the Undersides NOT painted, For I like the style, but preferred the Champ going Fully our with the Painted undersides.

Are you, or did you or have you Purchased and Flown?
Last edited by fishycomics; Oct 17, 2011 at 04:29 AM.
Oct 16, 2011, 07:08 PM
Dr. Dave
Thread OP
The underside is painted to match. Yes indeed I have flown this little bird many times. It grows on you.
Oct 17, 2011, 02:30 PM
Cute, but the huge amount of dihedral really spoils the appearance IMHO.
Latest blog entry: Eachine QX65 FPV quad review
Oct 17, 2011, 06:55 PM
semper mitis
I have to agree about the dihedral spoiling the looks of the cub... reminds me of a free flight plane from the late thirties or early forties.
Oct 18, 2011, 05:10 AM
Dr. Dave
Thread OP
Got to have the dihedral for beginner stability. It makes sense. What about no gas cap?
Oct 18, 2011, 08:37 PM
Agree with Gentle Ben on the OT look - check out the Megow Gas Cub or Comet Curtiss Robin - the similarities are there and striking. However, once you fly it the looks thing fades fast - it has just delightful handling qualities. On a fall evening with the light themals moving through you will have flights that put a big smile on your face.
Oct 18, 2011, 09:17 PM
Just some guy
No one is a bigger scale nut than I am but.... the dihedral really was required for nice smooth transitions in maneuvers like tight figure eights. The plane was designed to be super flyer friendly. As Aeroncasaid. Fly it once and you will imediatly forgive the dihedral and then start smiling.

DJ
Oct 19, 2011, 01:52 PM
Every other 3 ch high-winger I've seen or owned has flown fine with a lot less dihedral ... as an experienced flyer I'd definitely modify this Cub if I got one.

But as commented, probably good for a total beginner flying solo (the main target market I assume).
Latest blog entry: Eachine QX65 FPV quad review
Oct 19, 2011, 01:56 PM
Oh Yeah!
Man I sure wouldn't buy one just based on the fact of the dihedral on those dorky wings.
Oct 19, 2011, 03:26 PM
Old Fart With Drones
It reminds me of a free flight model which uses a lot of dihedral for stability. Looks like a real model airplane and should be a much better flyer than the UMZ Cub! Aero
Oct 19, 2011, 11:44 PM
Fly it like you stole it..
Anyone mention the dihedral yet?
Oct 20, 2011, 05:21 AM
Dr. Dave
Thread OP
Still waiting on the gas cap
Oct 20, 2011, 12:13 PM
Super Cub fan
Ya'll say freeflight like it's a bad thing I'm a huge Piper fan and Dave let me fly this plane at NEAT. I don't remember the dihedral of the wing. I do remember the stupid grin I had as I flew the Cub in a tight figure eight pattern in front of me. If you want a super scale Cub, get building. Just rember the three controls on a Cub, rudder, rudder and rudder.
Oct 20, 2011, 12:53 PM
Suspended Account
Is that wing semi-folded?

Quick Reply