Jan 26, 2020, 10:09 AM
Finding that FMS does not make replacement servo gear sets. Yep, gotta check out other options and get away from these.....
to remove ads between posts
Jan 26, 2020, 10:47 AM
Gorilla Glue Expert
Quote:
Originally Posted by Corwin51
Ahhhh....but only for the last two gears and the pinion on the servo motor. .
Ahh, how cheap and sneaky can they get. That is a BS move.....
Jan 26, 2020, 12:01 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by PikeStaff
Ahh, how cheap and sneaky can they get. That is a BS move.....
I agree. Been searching for others. I have noticed that NO specs are posted anywhere for the FMS servos, not even dimensions. The Spektrum SPMSA500 looks verrrrrry similar. Is that the same one with a different label? $2.50 cheaper.

https://www.spektrumrc.com/Products/...rodID=SPMSA500
Jan 27, 2020, 08:58 AM
fighter or target, which r u
you want cheap servos, you get no support.

I would not go back to 13 buck std servos so I can buy 2 gear sets a decade.

also w cheap servos each run works different so order lots all at the same time. that way the end points are likely to be the same.

Joe
Feb 13, 2020, 07:11 PM
Quad Body
Howdy, gents (sorry for the chapter and/or for any repetition of content )

I haven't read this entire huge thread. I'm very happy with the wealth of knowledge on these forums & I'm sure you will be able to help with any question or problem that might arise! It seems that FMS war birds have some real potential issues from plane to plane OOB? If so, why at these price points? I thought FMS was supposed to be near the top of the war bird food chain? I'm wanted to buy the 1700 Corsair, but due to some bad reviews here & on vendor sites, I'm not sure I want to shell out $439+ plus tax. Anyway....

My question is, however, is that this FMS Corsair looks to be modeled after an F4U-4? Am I wrong on that assumption? Specifically I'm not quite sure what's with the antenna array topside. The only Corsair I've seen this on is the current Red Bull show bird. I'm guessing that's specific to their own radio & navigational needs. However, I've never seen that antenna set up on a war time USN or USMC Corsair or later export variants. Perhaps FMS modeled after a more modern privately owned Corsair with owner specific navigational & radio communication more common to today's various set ups? Of course, I could just not use them or modify to a common F4U-4 standard. Trying to be as scale as can be since that's just my preference. Just wanted your help to satisfy my curiosity.

Consequently, I also build injection molded styrene 1/48 & 1/32 scale modern (some early jets & props) jets to scale detail. Most of us in that market also know that there are some franken-scale models out there that don't quite depict any certain variant that it's supposed to. I'm sure it's no different in the RC world. Your thoughts, overall about the quality of this model, though? Anything blaring that I need to know thatI missed that would help me make a more informed buying decision reference this particular 1700mm Corsair? I know one cannot predict what's going to come out of the manufacturers box after it lands on your doorstep, however, there seems to be trend with FMS retracts, servos & some poor quality build from the factory that I've been reading about. Should I avoid this one all together & not take a chance on it? I don't want to put extra upgrades up front for something I haven't done a maiden flight on where any mechanical or technical issues were of my own doing.

S/F
Masterguns
Last edited by Masterguns; Feb 13, 2020 at 07:56 PM.
Feb 14, 2020, 12:54 PM
Masterguns.

The FMS model calls itself an F4U-4 but has more of the F4U-1 than anything else. The aerials aren't typical but they are of a type... just. A lot of folk are scathing about this 1700 model, others less so and some even praise it. To get it to work requires some modification - others here can point you in the direction of the 'must do's'.

FMS don't seem to be making it anymore but it can be sourced direct from China assuming the tariffs don't make it punitive. Spares are beginning to be a problem - again, available in China direct from FMS if you need to.

Coming in so late in the day to this one, if asked, I'd say keep your wallet shut and hope a proper F4U-4 gets manufactured soon. FMS have stated, fairly recently, that there's an 'overhaul' of the Corsair in the pipeline - take that to be a wild rumour until you see it in your local hobby store!

R
Feb 24, 2020, 09:07 PM
Twins are Twice the Fun
Quote:
Originally Posted by Corwin51
I agree. Been searching for others. I have noticed that NO specs are posted anywhere for the FMS servos, not even dimensions. The Spektrum SPMSA500 looks verrrrrry similar. Is that the same one with a different label? $2.50 cheaper.

https://www.spektrumrc.com/Products/...rodID=SPMSA500
Yes it is the same. I would be willing to bet that FMS had Spektrum brand label that for them.
When my FMS tail wheel retract blew out some gears I replaced it with that Spektrum cause Motion didn't have the FMS in stock but did have the Spektrum at the time.
Best regards,
Warbird Charlie
Feb 24, 2020, 09:30 PM
Quad Body
Quote:
Originally Posted by reprobate
Masterguns.

The FMS model calls itself an F4U-4 but has more of the F4U-1 than anything else. The aerials aren't typical but they are of a type... just. A lot of folk are scathing about this 1700 model, others less so and some even praise it. To get it to work requires some modification - others here can point you in the direction of the 'must do's'.

FMS don't seem to be making it anymore but it can be sourced direct from China assuming the tariffs don't make it punitive. Spares are beginning to be a problem - again, available in China direct from FMS if you need to.

Coming in so late in the day to this one, if asked, I'd say keep your wallet shut and hope a proper F4U-4 gets manufactured soon. FMS have stated, fairly recently, that there's an 'overhaul' of the Corsair in the pipeline - take that to be a wild rumour until you see it in your local hobby store!

R
Thank you, sir
Feb 24, 2020, 09:35 PM
Quad Body
Last week I was told by an industry insider that FMS is "soon" releasing a V3 of this plagued bird. This person promised me that all the previous issues with the current F4U 1700mm are "fixed" & if we could hold out for few, we would be pleased with the V3. "Pleased" is subjective, but my curiosity is peaked since I like the large size for a foamy war bird. Has anyone else also stated that they too have heard of this rumored V3 in the works? I'm waiting on FMS to return my email. Thanks.

S/F
Masterguns
Feb 25, 2020, 07:41 AM
I heard something along the lines they were revamping their 1700 series warbirds. Not sure which ones or when, but I believe I heard the RC Informer mention something to this effect during one of his videos a while back.

I think the 1700 size airplanes are just right in size and FMS seems to have done a nice job on theirs.

Some better quality parts all around would do this line some real justice imo.
Feb 25, 2020, 06:05 PM
Gorilla Glue Expert

Evolution.

It would be wonderful indeed, to see FMS revamp this airplane - it’s now, what? 7-8 years old? Certainly got some mileage out of it thru the years, in spite of some fairly puckering issues. The Freewing Flightline Corsair(s) are a good example of how time leads to development of better details, better methods, better technology.

That said, all the fine detail in the world cannot be seen from 100’ away, traveling thru the air at 50/60/70 mph. Yes, it is far more satisfying to see concealed-hinge flaps than bottom-hinged ones, but both work. And this big ol’ bird is a flying beast, looking every bit the part, responsive and just viscerally satisfying every time it goes up. Full-flap, greased landings are simply a joy to observe. Moderate speed, low-low-low passes are gorgeous. While it certainly isn’t the fastest airplane in many hangars, it excels at scale-like speeds and maneuvers. It really is a great plane - that is now past its prime and, maybe, showing its age a bit.

All good. Hopefully the next one from FMS tightens specific-model criteria some, while incorporating better molding / finishing techniques (enough of those huge panel lines, already!), more attention to providing better electronics, and maybe even some better scale features like movable canopies, damped landing gear, and the aforementioned flap mechanisms. Then the plane would be as appreciated on the ground as much as it is in the air.

And a boost to maybe a 2000mm sized plane would be pretty awesome, too.
Feb 26, 2020, 04:19 AM
what goes up, must come down..
Quote:
All good. Hopefully the next one from FMS tightens specific-model criteria some, while incorporating better molding / finishing techniques (enough of those huge panel lines, already!), more attention to providing better electronics, and maybe even some better scale features like movable canopies, damped landing gear, and the aforementioned flap mechanisms. Then the plane would be as appreciated on the ground as much as it is in the air.

And a boost to maybe a 2000mm sized plane would be pretty awesome, too.
All the above!
On all three current 1700mm single engined warbirds!
Hmmm.... why not add in an FW190, LA-7, Zero...
Feb 26, 2020, 08:45 AM
I sure hope these rumors are true! And would add that I would love to see a 1700mm 109e to that list.
Feb 26, 2020, 10:47 AM
Gorilla Glue Expert
Quote:
Originally Posted by AussieHoppy
........Hmmm.... why not add in an FW190, LA-7, Zero...
Y’know, in my opinion FMS’ 1400mm FW190 was far and away the very best rendition of that airplane that anybody has made up to now. To see it built out to 1700/2000mm would be an instant purchase. A 109, same size, would just make for an incredible hangar.

It is a positive harbinger that they are now re-releasing an updated, improved big Pitts, identified as a V.2. Let us hope that they are truly re-bopping the big Corsair, and can see their way to adding a few new ones as well.
Feb 28, 2020, 05:55 AM
Quote:
Y’know, in my opinion FMS’ 1400mm FW190 was far and away the very best rendition of that airplane that anybody has made up to now. To see it built out to 1700/2000mm would be an instant purchase. A 109, same size, would just make for an incredible hangar.

It is a positive harbinger that they are now re-releasing an updated, improved big Pitts, identified as a V.2. Let us hope that they are truly re-bopping the big Corsair, and can see their way to adding a few new ones as well.
Fw190 sells slightly better than an Me109 but the 109 has always failed to make the big-time sales figures. Axis aircraft just aren't as popular as people think. The FMS 1400 Zero was a superb model - really flew well but diminished sales figures saw it cut from production. Ditto the Spitfire which, like the 109, has a too narrow u/c arrangement which saw it cart-wheel when the landing wasn't spot on. The Hurricane has a poor following/fan base so it doesn't get produced very often. Last big one of those was put out by Eflite (I think) and sold poorly.

The big models represent a vast investment to produce - almost too costly now in a climate where interest is swerving rapidly to 70mm EDF's which represent a much more manageable proposition in terms of development and sales. Low costs/high sales wins the day. Yes, there will always be a market for the P51, P47, F4U , but beyond that I would not like to say. The USA dominates the market and what sells there is not necessarily what everyone else wants - a classic case of pleasing some of the people all the time.....!

It's just an opinion but I see a trend beginning that will see a market shift away from WW2 warbirds and quite soon, maybe within 10 years.
Anyway, that's my 2 cents worth.

Quick Reply