Feb 15, 2013, 06:29 AM
Most people are stupid!
On the flip side to all this prop hub stuff, accidents happen and stuff does fail. If it's only been a small number of planes that this has happened to then it's more a case of bad luck as opposed to shoddy build quality.

Not trying to argue, just throwing it out there

Cheers,

Steve
to remove ads between posts
Feb 15, 2013, 06:34 AM
I agree
Feb 15, 2013, 08:39 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by dambit
On the flip side to all this prop hub stuff, accidents happen and stuff does fail. If it's only been a small number of planes that this has happened to then it's more a case of bad luck as opposed to shoddy build quality.

Not trying to argue, just throwing it out there

Cheers,

Steve
For sure, there's room and merit for that sentiment. The situation is needful of a balanced view.

FMS refines it's quality with each new offering and it is laudable. Everything, however, regarding the plane's performance, hinges on the propeller remaining intact so a lot rides on that one feature being so reliable. Now that we're in a relatively 'virgin' territory with these larger and expensive ones, their features are under high scrutiny all the time and with good reason.

I hope not to be over vigilant, just getting a sense of an important priority.
Feb 15, 2013, 09:18 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikemynameis
Foam is heavy compared to wood, these planes weigh like 9lbs and thats heavy for a 60 size plane. Of all the 60 planes I have owned they were 6 to 7 lbs.
Mike, a good number of us have experience too and don't come up with the same conclusions.

For instance, my old Top Flite P-40 with a .61 in it and flaps but no retracts had a wing loading of 24 ozs./sq. ft. My foam, 1700mm H-K P-40N with flaps and full retracts with sequencing doors comes out to 23 ozs./sq. ft. That T.F. P-40 had a span of 60", the H-K one 67", quite a lot more airplane.

Hands down, the H-K version is the best flying warbird I've ever had the pleasure of using. Maybe that's one reason I focus on these threads, I hate to see situations arise where they get an unjust bad rap.
Feb 15, 2013, 10:18 AM
Suspended Account
I like the 1400mm ones and if I want a 60 size I rather have a wood plane. The bigger FMS planes fly like gliders cause they float so much and to make them fly right you have to make the heavy . I grew up with wood planes and nothing comes close to those on how they fly. Those big P-40 should have a 90 size motor in them and like 8s.
Feb 15, 2013, 10:20 AM
Suspended Account
But I do like this Corsair. Maybe one day I will get one
Feb 15, 2013, 01:27 PM
After a long time follower of this 1700mm corsair (and enjoying my 1700mm Mustang) my wife just informed me to expect something "big" from Mr. UPS man!!! I hope to take what I have learned in this valuable thread/forum to enjoy my new "big bird" of blue. I'm so excited!
Feb 15, 2013, 01:54 PM
Shameless Warbirdaholic.
Congrats! Assuming the latest few pages in this thread are the exception and not the rule, this bird has major presence and great performance at the field. Enjoy!
Feb 15, 2013, 03:31 PM
Name brands compare me...Why?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kev71H
After a long time follower of this 1700mm corsair (and enjoying my 1700mm Mustang) my wife just informed me to expect something "big" from Mr. UPS man!!! I hope to take what I have learned in this valuable thread/forum to enjoy my new "big bird" of blue. I'm so excited!
Welcome to the club!

Goofy is getting a makeover....

Tried a gun makeover and screens on the wing vents. That's what happens when you start reading Sandancer's blog
Last edited by BRAND X; Feb 15, 2013 at 03:59 PM.
Feb 15, 2013, 03:40 PM
Fly & Have Fun..Enjoy the Ride
Quote:
Originally Posted by BRAND X
Welcome to the club!

Goofy is getting a makeover....
Looking Good.....
Feb 16, 2013, 12:40 AM
Has anyone done a Vario-Prop conversion? There was talk about it in Oct, but I don't know if anyone has actually done it. If so, what did you do?
Feb 16, 2013, 12:53 AM

Marine Dream

Have to admit, ORIONPAX does awesome work! All it needs now is a 3 blade prop to be true-r to form. I know this cowl has the extra cooler at the bottom in front, but I just love the tri-color paint job. The cockpit enhancement is great too!
Feb 16, 2013, 07:58 AM
OP should market that cockpit upgrade. Great work on the tri-color and the transition areas between colors. It looks very authentic. Nice work OP.

Hink
Feb 16, 2013, 09:22 AM
Name brands compare me...Why?
Quote:
Originally Posted by eroeder
Have to admit, ORIONPAX does awesome work! All it needs now is a 3 blade prop to be true-r to form. I know this cowl has the extra cooler at the bottom in front, but I just love the tri-color paint job. The cockpit enhancement is great too!
Now that's a work of art! Nice job OP. That top flite cockpit was putty in your hands(and a PITA).
Feb 16, 2013, 09:42 AM
That's a really nice cockpit! I may have to do something like that.....when I finally finish the paint job

Quick Reply