Jan 26, 2013, 12:20 AM
Ldm
Ldm
Ldm
almost done my 66" seafury and picking up paints for the FMS corsair .
Does anyone know the Testors model masters correct paints (decription or #) for the tri color scheme of navy blue , light sea blue and white .
I decided I am going to make the canopy slide under power , cutting out some brass rails this weekend
to remove ads between posts
Jan 26, 2013, 08:11 AM
Hey, Ldm,...

If you're going for the tri-color scheme, it seems like it would be best finished off with at least a three bladed prop to fit the model (F4U - 1A/D) that was current at the time. What an opportunity to try the three blade unit that was on your Lx P-40E..!!

Just for clarity, the dark blue i the tri-color scheme was Sea Blue or Dark Sea Blue and the lighter one was Medium Sea Blue, if I'm correct. Don't know the Testor's color #'s though. Navy blue doesn't have the slight greenish hue that sea blue does.

Just finished repainting the Flyzone Corsair I recently got in the tri-color but opted to do a toned down version with colors partially faded due to exposure and had to custom mix.

Edit.: Dark Sea blue, Model Master spray can, FS15042
Intermediate blue, Model Master spray can, FS35164
Last edited by gnats82; Jan 26, 2013 at 08:26 AM.
Jan 26, 2013, 09:20 AM
"Auntie Samantha"
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ldm
almost done my 66" seafury and picking up paints for the FMS corsair .
Does anyone know the Testors model masters correct paints (decription or #) for the tri color scheme of navy blue , light sea blue and white .
I decided I am going to make the canopy slide under power , cutting out some brass rails this weekend
Lou, I've got all the #'s and links to the colors I used to paint my Marines Dream Corsair on the "F4U Corsair: My Marines Dream Re-Paint" pg., and how I went about the re-paint.

Gary

Jan 26, 2013, 11:04 AM
Ldm
Ldm
Ldm
thanks guys , as always you deliver with first class advice making RC groups #1 !!!
Gnats , do you think the motor can spin the stock three blade from the LX P40 ?

Gary thanks for the link , great build and will be my guide to follow , thanks again great info !!!!
Jan 26, 2013, 11:50 AM
Ldm -

On the motor, I'm not remembering exactly but the motor and prop are the same for the Lx Corsair and the large Lx P-40, right? If I remember, this FMS version has a motor at least as powerful as that and being you're going to three blades, it seems like a really good match without doing any math or other spec. checking.
Jan 26, 2013, 11:58 AM
Ldm
Ldm
Ldm
I think you are correct , I have to check it but I remember it was a joke tha the 66" plane was specked with the same motor and prop as the 79 " plane lol
Jan 26, 2013, 06:12 PM
Captain Kangaroo
Good Morning Lou,
I too am considering motor choices for this bird other than stock.
I presently have an e-flight power 90 325kv on the bench.
Perhaps you could offer an opinion as to it`s suitability.
I look forward to following your repaint and build on this one !!
Regards,

Ray.
Jan 26, 2013, 06:24 PM
Ldm
Ldm
Ldm
Hi Ray,
Good to hear from you ! I am the new bee in the thread so I will defer to others on the flying needs in motor but my experience tells me that the Power 90 should do just fine ! I know the stock FMS is close to 300 KV but the Eflight power 90 is a great motor and most likely more powerful then the stock FMS 300kv motor !! The tolerance on the Eflight motors is excellent that is why I am making that point !.
I picked up my paints today based on Gary excellent bash on the 1400mm Corsair , it was great picking up paints by number, great for dummies like me .
By the way Ray , Gary is ok to cut the Testors model master paints with Testors paint thiner or , will that harm the epo ?
Thanks for the advice .
I am looking to do the tri color , would prefer the american stars/bar less the red outline , would there be an accurate rendition of the corsair in those markings Tri -color ?
Jan 26, 2013, 06:28 PM
Dont be divided from the truth
Quote:
Originally Posted by raybaines
Good Morning Lou,
I too am considering motor choices for this bird other than stock.
I presently have an e-flight power 90 325kv on the bench.
Perhaps you could offer an opinion as to it`s suitability.
I look forward to following your repaint and build on this one !!
Regards,

Ray.
Ray,

the only issue you might have is fitting the stock prop hub on the eflite adapter and the stock adapter might not fit the e-flite motor..
Jan 26, 2013, 06:49 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dangaras
Ray,

the only issue you might have is fitting the stock prop hub on the eflite adapter and the stock adapter might not fit the e-flite motor..
You are probably right about that. I had that exact problem with a power 46 that I placed in my FMS 1400mm p-51 v6.
Jan 26, 2013, 06:55 PM
Captain Kangaroo
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ldm
Hi Ray,
Good to hear from you ! I am the new bee in the thread so I will defer to others on the flying needs in motor but my experience tells me that the Power 90 should do just fine ! I know the stock FMS is close to 300 KV but the Eflight power 90 is a great motor and most likely more powerful then the stock FMS 300kv motor !! The tolerance on the Eflight motors is excellent that is why I am making that point !.
I picked up my paints today based on Gary excellent bash on the 1400mm Corsair , it was great picking up paints by number, great for dummies like me .
By the way Ray , Gary is ok to cut the Testors model master paints with Testors paint thiner or , will that harm the epo ?
Thanks for the advice .
I am looking to do the tri color , would prefer the american stars/bar less the red outline , would there be an accurate rendition of the corsair in those markings Tri -color ?
Thanks Lou for your reply,
I have used Tamiya acrylic paints for most of my repaints and have had no problems with their thinners.
It`s early days for my Corsair and am just trying to get a plan together.
Have purchased the kit version hence my thoughts on the power train.

Dan,
I also have hopes of installing a four blade vario-prop with the power 90.
All metal adjustable pitch hub.
Really sticking my neck into unknown territory with this one !!
We shall see.
Regards,

Ray.
Jan 26, 2013, 07:35 PM
I haven't had a close look at the motor, but I think that a machinist could fit the FMS adapter to the Power 90. Go to a College nearby and walk into the shop. I'm sure you'd find a student that would do it.
Jan 26, 2013, 09:49 PM
Ldm
Ldm
Ldm
Ray if your corsair ends up like your P40 , it will be a work of art !!!!
Jan 26, 2013, 10:17 PM

WATT-meter on stock set up

hi
Have someone try to dyno this Corsair with the stock motor/prop/batt ??
I want to know because i want to buy it and I want to put a Eflite Power 90 with 3 blade scale

DID bannana Hobby fix the dihedral on the wing on the V2.....I want the Grey.....

thanks
Jan 26, 2013, 10:49 PM
"Auntie Samantha"
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ldm
Thanks for the advice .
I mixed the Testors 50/50 with enamel thinner, and spray at 40psi with my air brushes. If you'll note on my Marines Dream re-paint, I used Krylon primer which is lacquer based. I have used both lacquer thinner and acetone to wipe down several of my pre-paint jobs. Neither had any adverse affects on EPO.

Gary

Quick Reply