Nov 11, 2017, 11:05 AM
I did maiden today. Tail is good. Needs a bit more tuning.
What I am used to is a fast pyro rate, But with tarot the 450 turn so slow... How to speed up rudder?.
to remove ads between posts
Nov 11, 2017, 03:04 PM
Hi denof

Well done on the maiden, glad to hear it went ok.
Rather surprised at your lack of piro rate. Mine is not excessive, but still quite quick.
Anyway, couple of things to try.
On the set up menu, extreme right hand end, are the tail settings. Make sure you have set the limits to give maximum deflection each way without binding.
On the settings I gave you, I had the tail yaw rates at 35 each way. These can be increased to suit your taste, but be careful, they are quite effective.
Only increase by by 5 points at a time, and test fly. On the flight modes, I fly on soft 3D, which is 35. Even the highest, extreme 3d is only 45.
Finally, each flight mode gives you default settings for each flying style. If you started on beginner mode that will reduce your yaw rate to 30 each way.
If so, you can either increase your yaw rate individually or switch to soft 3d which gives you a complete set of defaults which increases all responses to a degree. You might find this more interesting to fly, I know I do.
Finally, I note you did not give any indication of tail wag. This tells me your tail gain may be a little low. You could try increasing that a little at a time until you get tail wag and then back it off a little.
This will not increase your piro rate, but will make the tail more responsive which will give you the impression it is quicker.
Anyway, try these out and report back.

Jeff

BTW, what tail servo are you using?
Nov 13, 2017, 11:50 AM
Hi Jeff, thx for your advise. Yesterday morning I did hang the tarot at my laptop again. Somehow after change some settings I instantly notice the tail slider did go fast. I then also notice that the slider for yaw speed does work.
Saturday when I maiden I had the tail yaw slider full at 60 but so slow.
Then yesterday afternoon I did try the heli again.
Wow. Tail worked great and with the slider adjustable. As it should be.
Now it all works great. Tail hold strong and pyro speed is as I want at 45.
What I see is when do a pyro and do a full fast stop he still bounce a little. That's I will do later with less wind... Yesterday was bft4 when I try. Going good and as I said tail holds well.
So again thx for the advice.

What I still not understand is why the tail was so slow with the pyro speed at 60 (full)
And after hang at the laptop it work as should and get the speed I want.

Up to the next flight maybe next weekend hopefully with calm weather then. ��

Greetings from denof
Last edited by denof; Nov 13, 2017 at 01:11 PM.
Nov 15, 2017, 03:37 AM
I use a futaba 9257 on the tail.@ 4.8 volt
May 23, 2018, 12:28 PM
Hi Guys.
Hope someone's still on here and can help me out.

Just in the process of wiring in a second hand ZYX-S.
When I switch on, all three led's come on and then start flashing, exactly as expected, but then instead of one led coming on they go dark for a couple of seconds, then all three start rapid flashing.
Anybody had this before? Does it indicate a faulty unit or something wrong with my wiring?

Cheers

Jeff
May 23, 2018, 07:45 PM
Is it bound to your radio?
May 24, 2018, 03:35 AM
Hi Steve, thanks

Case of crossed wires here. The ZYX-S is an FBL unit so dioesn't need binding.

Cheers

Jeff
Jun 15, 2018, 05:19 PM
Does it have a valid (1500ms) input to it from an RX on the relevant channels?
Can you see the channels moving when plugged into a PC and are they centred?

It's been a LONG time since I set mine up - or even flew it now I think about it (though mine is the S2 version)
IIRC mine didn't always "boot up" cleanly first time a battery is connected (sorry not noted what the LED's were doing when it does the not reacting to stick movement thing as the main priority is to pull the battery and try and gain full control )
I put "my occasional startup boot glitch" down to possibly the RX not giving a valid signal fast enough (using a cheapo orange dsm sat on mine )

Not saying it is that, just saying that its worth checking

I also can't recall if the orientation can be set (surely it must be able to) - I guess if it is powered and "thinks it is inverted or laying on its side" whilst booting up it's not going to be entirely happy about the process ...something else worth checking I guess

If it were mine I would go through the setup wizard fully to make sure it has valid settings that suit your craft and RX/TX setup and that it is remembering what you are telling it to expect/do

Regards
Rob
Last edited by robocog; Jun 15, 2018 at 05:30 PM.
Dec 14, 2018, 02:33 PM
Hi Guys

Trying to set up a ZYX-S to work on Futaba s-bus. I have John's NZ software which doesn't tell you where to plug the leads in, but the genuine Tarot software says S-bus into Rudder socket and esc into Aileron socket,
Is this correct?
Plugged in this way, ZYX will not connect to the software.
Went back to conventional receiver and it connected no problem.

Any advice?

Jeff
Dec 14, 2018, 03:07 PM
Jeff, never used S-bus on the ZYX, but you may need an inverter...
Dec 14, 2018, 05:17 PM
Hi Mike

Could well be right, but makes me wonder if it's worth it. Looking for a set up for the 300, and using single wire will save me a lot of space. Having to have an inverter in the mix loses a lot of the advantage.
Having said that, I'm dealing with a lot of unknowns.
Initial thought is that having an inverted s-bus signal shouldn't prevent the ZYX from connecting to the software at all, but stranger things have happened.
Maybe step back and give this one more thought.

Thanks

Jeff
Dec 14, 2018, 05:33 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Border Lord
Hi Mike

Could well be right, but makes me wonder if it's worth it. Looking for a set up for the 300, and using single wire will save me a lot of space. Having to have an inverter in the mix loses a lot of the advantage.
Having said that, I'm dealing with a lot of unknowns.
Initial thought is that having an inverted s-bus signal shouldn't prevent the ZYX from connecting to the software at all, but stranger things have happened.
Maybe step back and give this one more thought.

Thanks

Jeff
If the FBL unit needs an inverter and doesn't have one then it won't understand the comms between the two and won't connect - I'm not certain about the ZYX, but my Spirit needs and inverter and won't connect without it (I tried ). Some FBL units such as the V-bar have the relevant technology built in to handle the invertion I believe.

I know that Tarot used to make an inverter for the ZYX - I have a couple of them...

You're welcome to try one...

Cheers,
Mike.
Dec 14, 2018, 06:06 PM
Hi Mike

That's a thought, if you don't mind me borrowing one for a while. Would certainly settle the point as whether the ZYX needs in inverter to connect with the software.

Thanks

Jeff
Dec 22, 2018, 03:15 PM
Hi Guys

Trying to do something a bit out of the ordinary with a ZYX-S. Not even sure it can be done, but before I give up thought I'd ask on here.
So, here's the deal:
I have a flySky iA6C receiver which outputs S-bus. I would like to use this with a ZYX-S which has a Futaba S-bus input.
I did ask on the FlySky thread, and the general opinion was s-bus is s-bus is s-bus.
In other words Futaba and FlySky should both work OK. Doesn't seem so.
So, plugged it all up, all I got was the three led's solid, no flashing, so no initialisation.
Also, would not connect to the software.
I have both JohnNZ and Tarot own software. John's does not mention where the leads plug into for S-bus, but Tarot's own says Sbus lead into Rudder socket, and esc into Alieron.
More on this later.
Posted the question and someone suggested I might need an inverter cable. Seems this is necessary on some controllers.
A very generous member on here (thanks Mike) lent me one to try, and that arrived this morning.
Plugged it all up again but with the same result.
Tried a brief press on the set up button. This apparently by-passes the initialisation and goes straight to self test.
Got my flashing led's but then went to flashing yellow, which Tarot says is indicator of wrong receiver type selected, but still couldn't get it to connect, so couldn't check or change receiver type.
Anyway, did a long press on set up. The flashing yellow went out for a second or so, then came back on solid.
However I was now able to connect to the software. Checked and found the receiver was set to conventional, so changed that to S-bus and started again.
Exactly the same result.
So, I have the unit plugged up as best I can, connected to the software, all settings ok, but I still can't get any response to the sticks on the monitor screen.
Now, the odd thing.
Plugged and unplugged so many times, managed to get the wires reversed just the once, but still got the same results.
Out of interest I tried it with the S-bus lead not connected at all, and still got the same result.
For completeness I unplugged everything and re-set it with a different receiver as conventional wiring, and everything worked fine, so it's not the ZYX at fault.
So, general thoughts?
Am I wasting my time, or have I missed something obvious (not uncommon for me)

Cheers

Jeff
May 01, 2019, 07:12 PM
Regexistentialist

FrSky X-series Rx S-BUS works with ZYX-S2

The following post refers to the yellow labeled Tarot ZYX-S2 only, (it very likely does NOT apply to the ZYX or ZYX-S hardware versions - I have zero experience with those models).

So I recently acquired a new Rotorscale 450 heli from MotionRC, and since they recommend using the ZYX-S2 with these helis, I purchased one (before reading this thread). I have been flying a FrSky X9D Taranis for more than five years and really like their tiny X-series receivers which provide 16 channels via S-BUS. Today I successfully connected the ZYX-S2 to a FrSky X8R via S-BUS using a single servo cable and verified all channels respond correctly on the monitor page of the PC software. (I have not yet connected any servos or flown the heli, but will be doing that soon.)

These are the steps I used to get it working:

Connecting ZYX-S2 to FrSky X-series Rx using S-BUS and one servo cable
  • Create a new 6-channel model on the FrSky Tx using AETR channel order (plus Gyro on CH5 and CPit on CH6). On the MIXER page, setup a gyro switch on the Tx (e.g. switch B) that sets channel 5 to +35 (for heading hold (HH)) and -35 (for rate mode). On the OUTPUTs page, set the PPM center to 1520 and the limits to +/-82.5 for channels 1-8 (leave all subtrims at 0.0). Reverse the elevator CH2 and leave all others at default.
  • Bind the FrSky Tx to the X-series Rx using the D16 protocol and CH1-8 (no need for CH9-16).
  • Since the ZYX-S2 default configuration from the factory is for a conventional Rx connection, and the ZYX-S2 must be fully initialized before it will connect to the PC, and it will only initialize if connected to a bound Rx, we must first connect the Rx to the gyro using a standard PCM channel - (and just one channel, CH1=Ail, will do the trick). Connect the FrSky Rx channel 1 PCM output to the ZYX-S2 Ail input using a standard servo cable.
  • With the Tx on, power up the Rx+ZYX-S2 and verify that the ZYX-S2 initializes correctly (either a steady red LED (HH), or steady blue LED (rate mode) will light up).
  • Connect the ZYX-S2 to the USB dongle using the supplied cable.
  • Install the correct "USB-to-serial" device driver on the PC. (The ZYX-S2 manuals, software and drivers are available on the support tab of the MotionRC ZYX-S2 web page. The WinXP and Win7 drivers are in a subdirectory of the program ZIP download and the Win10 driver is a separate download file). Once the driver is successfully installed, plug in the ZYX USB dongle and a new COM port should show up in Device Manager: "Prolific USB-to-Serial Comm Port (COMnn)" - (on my Win7 box, it showed up as COM12). When plugged in, there is a steady red LED that lights up on the dongle.
  • Fire up the "ZYX-Assistant1.1.exe" program. The first time you run this program, everything will be in Chinese (or Korean?). To switch the UI to English, click on the little down-arrow-shaped Icon in the upper right corner of the application window - its right next to the minimize button. This is a drop down language select combo box - choose English and restart the program and everything will appear in English from now on.
  • In the assistant program, select the new USB-to-serial COM port in the drop down combo box. Cross your fingers and click the "Connect" button in the software. If the moon and the stars are aligned, the PC software will successfully connect to the ZYX-S2. Once successfully connected, a steady blue LED will light up on the dongle (in addition to the red LED), and a "CONNECTED" message will be displayed in the lower right corner of the app.
  • Click the SETUP button on the left side of the app then click the RECEIVER tab. Now we can set the ZYX-S2 to use the S-BUS interface - this is the "SELECT RECEIVER TYPE" drop down combo box. A message on the lower left will say: "Upload Parameters Completely" indicating the changes have been made. (I also clicked the "WriteFlash" button on the top but I don't know if that step is necessary). Here's what you should see at this point:
  • Click the "Disconnect" button, unplug the USB dongle, and power down the Rx+ZYX-S2.
  • Now we can connect the Rx to the ZYX-S2 using just one servo cable: connect one end to the S-BUS port on the Rx and the other end to the RUD input on the ZYX-S2.
  • Power on the Rx+ZYX-S2 once more and the ZYX-S2 should initialize successfully and connect fully to the Rx. Switching the gyro switch on the Tx should now cause the LEDs on the ZYX-S2 to toggle back and forth between red (HH) and blue (rate mode).
  • Connect the USB dongle into the PC and click the "Connect" button once more (and once again, cross your fingers). On the SETUP->MONITOR page of the app, you should now be able to see all the channels moving in concert with the TX. (The +/-82.5 channel endpoints on the Tx OUTPUTs page should be pretty close - modify as needed.)
  • Crack open a cold one and celebrate good times! (Then go ahead and do a complete setup using the assistant program.)

Hope this helps!

p.s. I'll report back once I've setup and flown my new Rotorscale 450 Airwolf!
Last edited by ridgerunr; Mar 21, 2022 at 10:10 AM. Reason: Corrected typo

Quick Reply