Jan 21, 2013, 03:17 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blade Crasher
ZYX-s or Robird G31?

I'm getting ready to order a controller. These two seem like the ones to go with. But which one?

I'm going to use it on a 450pro clone with HS-65 cyclics and Futaba s9257 tail. I'm just a sport flyer, no 3D.

Thoughts?
I cant compare the two, but my money would be on the ZYX-s , seems more support for it. I have it on a HK450 with HK922MG on cyclic and tail and a 40A Mystery ESC, and I couldnt be happier.

But then again, what I dont know wont hurt me either
to remove ads between posts
Jan 21, 2013, 04:49 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blade Crasher
ZYX-s or Robird G31?

I'm getting ready to order a controller. These two seem like the ones to go with. But which one?

I'm going to use it on a 450pro clone with HS-65 cyclics and Futaba s9257 tail. I'm just a sport flyer, no 3D.

Thoughts?
I only have a couple of 3x1000's, one of which is a CX-ZYX 3.5, and they're great value for money. If satellite RX support is important to you, the ZYX-s is the one to go for, but the Robird offers a vibe log, which can be handy, and also features a governor if you use a sensor. Both fly well, with possibly more people who own both preferring the G31 by a small margin, though some of those preferences are based on ease of setup rather than actual flight performance.
Jan 21, 2013, 06:24 PM
Axes & Blades-Cutlery & Helis
I read the robird g31 manual, it has support for satellite RXs as well. Does anyone know if that is accurate? I have 2 ZYX-s but am thinking about picking up the Robird for another project....
Jan 21, 2013, 11:12 PM
as much as I can
Thread OP
Yes the robird supports two satellites if you purchase an additional adapter (one comes with the gyro). The ZYX-S supports one satellite, if you purchase the adapter.
Jan 21, 2013, 11:13 PM
as much as I can
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by JetPlaneFlyer
Fixed!

Here's how I did it should anyone else have the same problem:
  • Plug in USB lead, power up Tx and gyro/Rx.
  • All three lights stay solid indicating no communication, PC software wont connect in this state.
  • Press set button once - only yellow light comes on
  • Press set button again -only blue light comes on
  • Now connect PC software, it should connect ok while the blue light is on.
  • Re-set 'receiver type' to 'conventional', update settings and that's it fixed
Thanks, JetPlaneFlyer. Added a link to this in the first post, under PC connection issues.
Jan 22, 2013, 09:36 PM

Test pilots needed

Looks like test pilots are needed for a new Gyro.

http://www.bglmodel.com/news_read.asp?id=159
Jan 23, 2013, 07:46 AM
Is that a joke? Bigaole - Big A hole
Jan 23, 2013, 08:49 AM
Axes & Blades-Cutlery & Helis
everytime I see that name I see the same thing.....
Jan 23, 2013, 01:38 PM
Looptastic!
Dig A Hole

BigHole
Jan 23, 2013, 08:52 PM
CSI
CSI
I promise, just ONE more order
Hi guys...another new user of the ZYX system.

I have 2 of the ZYXs and 1 ZYX units. I also have the USB adapter and the larger control input programmer box.

Guys, I am sorry to ask such newbe questions about this thing. I fly planes and dabble with helis. I have a 250, HBK2, 450, 500, and a 600 in it's box. I am building the 500 right now. I can fly basic sport, but no 3d.

I am converting all my helis over to the ZYX system.
I am reading the ZYX threads as fast as I can, but still quite confused on some things.

Just to help me get started with the hookups.

--when/where do you use the USB adapter?

--what is the programmer box for? When is it used or how is it different than the USB adapter?

--the single plug splitting into 3 leads/plugs......single goes into the ZYX but where do the 3 single leads go? I assume into my Spektrum RX? (I'm using a Spektrum DX7)

--is the above hookups only for the one ZYX I have and not for the 2 ZYXs?

--is there a ZYXs specific manual or do they all use the same one? I cannot find a seperate one.

Again, I apologize now for the basic questions but I would like to get a grasp on what the heck I am trying to hookup. The programming seems a lot like my 520 MEMS gyros I have on the helis right now so hopefully I will grasp that a bit better.

Thanks so much for any help,
Ken
Jan 24, 2013, 04:35 AM
Programming with the USB adaptor hooked up to your pc, running either the Tarot software or John_NZ's FBL software is quicker and easier than programming with the program box - unless you have an aversion to pc's.

The program box is handy for tweaking things at the field, and can also function as a servo tester, so it complements the usb adaptor.

The three plugs from the split lead connect to your RX - the plug with the black wire is tail gain, usually Ch5, the one with the red lead is to elevator and the one with the white lead is pitch, usually Ch6. There's a diagram on page 2 of the ZYX pdf manual, not sure about the ZYX-s manual.

There are two separate leads used to connect the aileron and rudder outputs of the ZYX to your RX.

Your cyclic servos will plug directly into the ZYX inputs marked #1, #2 and #3. Usually the right aileron servo is #1, the left one is #2 and the elevator servo is #3 - the servo numbering for various swash types is shown in the diagram on page 2 of the manual.

If you can't get the servos moving correctly, double check and triple check your connections, and make sure everything is plugged in with the correct polarity.

Have fun!
Jan 24, 2013, 07:57 AM
CSI, this will help you with the program box and wiring;

http://www.raptortechnique.com/tarot/setup-prg_box.html

The link to John NZ software;

http://fbl.net.nz/

And a 3 part video from Simon that helped me more than I can say;

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature...&v=9HViG2Xe1Ik

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature...&v=08Vkbco6b8A

HK-450GT Flybarless Conversion - pt 5 - Final Setup (33 min 22 sec)
Jan 24, 2013, 04:06 PM
Hey I have a brand new Tarot zyx w/usb I have no use for, the bag of leads has been open to borrow one, I have put it back in the bag. will sell for 50 bucks free shipping to the northern 48. Must use PayPal

PM me if interested

***SOLD***
Last edited by kenbad; Jan 25, 2013 at 06:47 AM.
Jan 25, 2013, 11:04 AM
Pardon me for not reading through this entire thread, but a search for "zyx gas" wasn't very productive.

I have a ZYX-S sitting on the shelf and was wondering, could I use it in a 30cc sized gas airplane?

I am aware that it can be programmed for aircraft, and to use two pads of mounting foam for gas applications.

Thanks
Jan 25, 2013, 12:01 PM
If what you want the ZYX to control is covered by it's functions, as you imply, then I believe the only thing of concern might be vibration - and that can be resolved by using different configurations of foam mounting, possibly incorporating a metal plate as a damper. I actually find my CX (virtually identical to ZYX) to be very tolerant of vibration, far more so than other tail gyros I've used.

Quick Reply