Sep 23, 2011, 03:50 PM
Diverted by planks
Thread OP
Discussion

Marines say "Finders keepers for drones"!

Man, I hate to seem ungrateful, but this deal beats the HECK outta getting some candies sent along with your RC spares:

Quote:
Finders, keepers: Marines say people who found military drones on NC beaches can keep them

By Associated Press
8:52 a.m. EDT, September 23, 2011

WILMINGTON, N.C. (AP) — If you've ever wanted a military drone, you may want to visit Oak Island or Carolina Beach.

Folks at those beaches say they found the plane-like structures with an orange-and-white design Thursday. Officials at Marine Corps Air Station Cherry Point say the drones were used Sept. 17 during a live fire exercise at Onslow Beach.

Forty drones were used during the exercise.

A Marine spokesman says people can keep the drones or call the Marines to pick them up.
http://www.wtkr.com/news/sns-ap-nc--...,1302840.story

(Earlier story)
Quote:
Theories abound about drones found on beaches

by Shannan Bowen

Robbie Johnson, of Carolina Beach, found something unusual this morning on the beach strand about a half mile south of the Carolina Beach pier.

An unmanned aircraft, also known as a drone and perhaps controlled by a remote, had crash-landed near some rocks on that area of the beach. The aircraft was several feet long and had white and orange markings.

And that’s not all. WWAY reports that someone in Ocean Isle Beach sent the news station a photo of a similar, if not identical, drone found there this morning. And I personally saw one propped against a sign near the Carolina Beach Marina about 9:30 p.m. last night. I didn’t think anything of it, except that it was in an odd location.
http://shorelines.blogs.starnewsonli...es-on-beaches/
to remove ads between posts
Sep 23, 2011, 03:55 PM
Diverted by planks
Thread OP
"What do you mean this one wasn't included? I er... ah... lost it. Oh well... remember, Col., your policy is 'finders keeprs'..."

Sep 23, 2011, 03:57 PM
Diverted by planks
Thread OP
Aw man... they are huge!

Someone please go snag me one!

Sep 23, 2011, 07:04 PM
Diverted by planks
Thread OP
Might have found the type info here:

http://www.designation-systems.net/dusrm/m-170.html
Sep 23, 2011, 07:13 PM
Diverted by planks
Thread OP
Being sought for questioning:

Sep 26, 2011, 10:42 AM
best consult graves registration--
Sep 26, 2011, 12:31 PM
Diverted by planks
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by richard hanson
Yeah, that photo *might* be just a little dated...

someone mentioned a 'drone' being sold on ebay the other day, guy wanted a thousand dollars for it starting bid, and the poster was laughing at the seller's .... shall we say 'optimism'... even more so when I went to the link, and it wasn't even one of these, with some 2.4GHz radio gear, a GPS, and giant servos, etc on board, but instead was just an empty shell of what looks to be a rude facsimile of a Russian Hind... well that is, if you squint, use your imagination, and hold your mouth just right it might look a little like a helicopter...

I'd say the true worth of the item to most modelers would have been more like 20 bucks, max.

People on ebay is crazy.
Oct 02, 2011, 12:54 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by tracknoob
Being sought for questioning:

Quote:
Originally Posted by richard hanson

No need...... that's Marilyn Monroe.
Oct 02, 2011, 10:14 AM
Diverted by planks
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by psunder
No need...... that's Marilyn Monroe.
Well, any girl who looks like that today, could [insert aviation-related double entre here] any day!
Oct 02, 2011, 01:11 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by tracknoob
could [insert aviation-related double entre here] any day!
wiggle your stick?
Oct 06, 2011, 03:48 PM
I love how they worry about us crashing our couple of pound planes when they purposefully rain these down on us.
Oct 06, 2011, 03:54 PM
Diverted by planks
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by PilotKeeg
I love how they worry about us crashing our couple of pound planes when they purposefully rain these down on us.
I still haven't heard anyone say they got one, and give an accounting of what kind of gear was in there.... one man's trash is another man's treasure!
Oct 07, 2011, 12:59 AM
Professional Lurker
Quote:
Originally Posted by PilotKeeg
These are target aircraft and are flown in restricted airspace while being shot at by various weapons. I'm not sure that saying "purposefully rain down on us" is very accurate. These airframes simply floated to shore after they were expended in testing.
Oct 07, 2011, 01:23 PM
Diverted by planks
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by Magician
These are target aircraft and are flown in restricted airspace while being shot at by various weapons. I'm not sure that saying "purposefully rain down on us" is very accurate. These airframes simply floated to shore after they were expended in testing.

Looks like that might change shortly!

Think "Stuxnet" virus in our US Drones!

Crap they could make them rain down on our own troops and bases.

Quote:
Exclusive: Computer Virus Hits U.S. Drone Fleet
By Noah Shachtman Email Author
October 7, 2011

A computer virus has infected the cockpits of America’s Predator and Reaper drones, logging pilots’ every keystroke as they remotely fly missions over Afghanistan and other warzones.

The virus, first detected nearly two weeks ago by the military’s Host-Based Security System, has not prevented pilots at Creech Air Force Base in Nevada from flying their missions overseas.... the infection underscores the ongoing security risks in what has become the U.S. military’s most important weapons system.

“We keep wiping it off, and it keeps coming back,” says a source familiar with the network infection, one of three that told Danger Room about the virus. “We think it’s benign. But we just don’t know.”

.. despite their widespread use, the drone systems are known to have security flaws. Many Reapers and Predators don’t encrypt the video they transmit to American troops on the ground. In the summer of 2009, U.S. forces discovered “days and days and hours and hours” of the drone footage on the laptops of Iraqi insurgents. A $26 piece of software allowed the militants to capture the video.

None of the remote cockpits are supposed to be connected to the public internet. Which means they are supposed to be largely immune to viruses and other network security threats.

But time and time again, the so-called “air gaps” between classified and public networks have been bridged, largely through the use of discs and removable drives.

Predator and Reaper crews use removable hard drives to load map updates and transport mission videos from one computer to another. The virus is believed to have spread through these removable drives. Drone units at other Air Force bases worldwide have now been ordered to stop their use.

The Air Force declined to comment directly on the virus. “We generally do not discuss specific vulnerabilities, threats, or responses to our computer networks, since that helps people looking to exploit or attack our systems to refine their approach,” says Lt. Col. Tadd Sholtis, a spokesman for Air Combat Command, which oversees the drones and all other Air Force tactical aircraft.
http://www.wired.com/dangerroom/2011...s-drone-fleet/

Quick Reply