Sep 20, 2011, 02:01 PM
My Co-Pilots Rock!!
Thread OP
Discussion

GP Cosmic Wind

This looks interesting. I wonder if Great Planes is going to come out with a series of foamies at the 129 price?

http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...0p?&I=GPMA1811

Wolfe
to remove ads between posts
Sep 21, 2011, 11:29 AM
Reserved Parking
Quote:
Originally Posted by wolfewinde
This looks interesting. I wonder if Great Planes is going to come out with a series of foamies at the 129 price?

http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...0p?&I=GPMA1811

Wolfe
That plane is not a foamy.

http://www.electrifly.com/largeelectrics/gpma1810.html

"ElectriFly captures the Cosmic Wind’s sleek racing profile with a painted fiberglass fuselage, fiberglass wheel pants, and built-up wood wing and tail covered in MonoKote film. Use the included checkerboard decal sheets to create a custom look."
Sep 22, 2011, 10:02 AM
My Co-Pilots Rock!!
Thread OP
ahhh - I missed that - too bad

Wolfe
Oct 10, 2011, 10:08 AM

in progress

Interesting to know if others have tried this one. I am in the process of putting one together. Interesting model due to the following characteristics:
  • fiberglass body
  • wood wings and tail
  • big motor for this size plane I think (rimfire .10 outrunner)
  • only need 3 servos. I haven't installed all the servos yet but I am a little concern on the 1 recommended wing servo (concern whether or not the recommend servo will have enough power).
Considering this is my first fiberglass body plane, I am not sure what to expect. Out of the box my initial observation is that this is a nice kit with relatively few parts.

Pics and build details later.
Oct 10, 2011, 12:39 PM
My Co-Pilots Rock!!
Thread OP
Sounds like a lot of motor for that sized airplane - should be really fast

Wolfe
Oct 10, 2011, 01:13 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Reef_rc

I haven't installed all the servos yet but I am a little concern on the 1 recommended wing servo (concern whether or not the recommend servo will have enough power).

Pics and build details later.
Plenty of power remember they move a tiny amount due to speed. I well remember the days of running 60 size models on one 30in/oz servo on the ailerons.

Using a servo torque calculator I suspect you would only need 2-3in/oz for those ailerons.

Post those pics - I have one on the way.
Oct 10, 2011, 02:48 PM
Visitor from Reality
I'd start looking at things like wing loadings and section - I'd be building this with wash-out and all up, no down differential on the ailerons, that sort of scale stuff.

After my ElectriFly Fokker DR1 triplane experiences, you couldn't give me any more of their stuff for Christmas...

Regarts

Dereck
Oct 11, 2011, 08:39 AM
A few pics after the unboxing over the weekend. My progress is rather slow during the weekdays. Should be finish by Friday and looking forward to its maiden flight this coming weekend.

I was able to finish motor install, landing gears, wings and tail yesterday. Will post those pics later.
Oct 11, 2011, 09:10 AM
Visitor from Reality
There's some serious wing taper there.

Wouldn't fly this one tail-heavy or with too much control throw on ele or ailerons.

Got the impression the overall finish was red - you have a spray paint job upcoming too.

Good luck!

D
Oct 11, 2011, 10:21 AM
Reserved Parking
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dereck
There's some serious wing taper there.

Wouldn't fly this one tail-heavy or with too much control throw on ele or ailerons.

Got the impression the overall finish was red - you have a spray paint job upcoming too.

Good luck!

D
It is available in either solid red or solid white.
Oct 11, 2011, 03:24 PM
This one does seems to like to be flown fast with very small throws. The manual confirms this:

"CAUTION: The throws appear to be small. However, the model has been extensively flown and tested to arrive at the throws at which it flies best. Flying your model at these throws will provide you with the greatest chance for successful first flights. Increasing the throws can cause the plane to be very
difficult to fly."

Elevator: 3mm - 6mm
Ailerons: 3mm - 5mm

I typically take first several flights on any plane easy on both e&a just to ensure no surprises...especially on this one since they're small to begin with. More than likely I will have to bump up my expo higher than normal to account for this.
Oct 11, 2011, 05:24 PM
Yep quick is what it will be about.
Oct 11, 2011, 05:56 PM
Visitor from Reality
Quote:
Originally Posted by P-51C
It is available in either solid red or solid white.
WOW! A readymade with a choice of colours.

Am amazed

D
Oct 13, 2011, 09:26 AM
Here's a the latest update. It's nearly ready. See pics below. Since I can only get to this in the evening, pics may look a little darker due to lighting I used in the house.

Remaining components:
  • Propeller
  • Pilot
  • canopy
  • design pattern
  • throw calibrations

ARF installation has been relatively run-of-the-mill with exception of:
  • Minor shaving of the fuselage had to be done to accomodate wing and ailerons movement (see pics below).
  • Provided servo screws were a little too big. I had to use smaller servo screws to not damage the plane.
  • Linkage fron servo to tail, rudder and wings requires more time than initially thought. Alignment and screwing in the screws took some time.

Impression so far:
  • I like the quality of the plane.
  • Nice color and clean lines
  • While taking the pics, the wing reminded me of TH P-51D so I brought it down for a quick comparison and they look very similar with slight differences.

I hope to finish remaining components tonight as time permit so I can maiden her early Friday evening/early Saturday morning.
Oct 13, 2011, 09:17 PM
Visitor from Reality
How's the CG doing? With the battery that far up front, you'll have to balance it with one size/type of pack and just use that for flights. Changing the pack for one of different weight will affect the CG.

An idle thought, though hopefully you're ahead of me. If the battery is loaded from the underside, use Velcro for its full length and use a double sided Velcro strap to secure it around the pack and battery tray - gravity works real well downwards, where the pack is pointing.

It looks a lot better than my Electrifly DR1 as a flying prospect...

If you look at a real P51, they had a fair amount of dihedral too.

D

Quick Reply