Sep 20, 2011, 07:39 AM
Thread OP
Discussion

First post/First Heli (400/135)/First crash.... not good, please help. :(

Hi guys,

this is my first post, and it's not good. I waited all week to get my FIRST heli. A Lama400/135. I started flying it Friday night, and Saturday... not letting it get any higher then eye level, until I feel more comfortable... Well, my brother came over, wanted to try and flew it for a good 3 minutes, but was not used to the throttle... didn't have enough speed... and it missed the grass and fell about 6 feet to the cement... Popping the back off the fuselage, popping the tail router out, breaking all three wheels off the bottom...

Well, he felt horrible, so he just ordered all new parts... fuselage, etc. We somewhat assembled it to check... and now it just flies in circles on the ground... I don't know what the issue could be, but I've been trying to read about it all morning....

I have the fuselage completely off now, and been trying to see what the issue could be... I did notice I can turn the bottom gear plate with my hand, and the top blades move. I can turn the top plate and and the bottom blades move... Iif I manually turn the top blades, the plate moves, BUT if i turn the bottom blades the plate DOES NOT MOVE. Is this where my issue could be?Huh?

The blades have minor crack, but i don't think this is the issue... Am I on the right track? And what can I do to fix this... Im terribly upset, because I didn't want to take flying lightly, and I was looking forward to flying all week....

Thank you for any help,

James
to remove ads between posts
Sep 20, 2011, 08:56 AM
I'm FAMOUS
The crash probably knocked the head loose from the shaft, and that let the gear come off the far end. Loosen the screw in the side of the head, then push the parts back into placement, re-tighten the screw.

fyi: most new motorcycles are NOT crashed by their owners.

In other words, brother needs to order himself a copter, too, if he wants to fly any more.
Sep 20, 2011, 10:19 AM
Si Vis Pacem Para Bellum!
Quote:
Originally Posted by killbucket
The crash probably knocked the head loose from the shaft, and that let the gear come off the far end. Loosen the screw in the side of the head, then push the parts back into placement, re-tighten the screw.

fyi: most new motorcycles are NOT crashed by their owners.

In other words, brother needs to order himself a copter, too, if he wants to fly any more.

Actually, the brother has bought the crashed one by his actions, so he should just keep it and the spare parts, and then buy a brand new one for element77, that would be the proper thing to do.
Sep 20, 2011, 10:59 AM
Thread OP
Well, he does have one of those Harley Davidson 48's.... The second my heli hit the ground, he thru me keys. haha. I should of kicked it over....

Anywho, i'm gonna unscrew the gears and see if maybe the screw isn't holding the shaft anymore....
Sep 20, 2011, 11:12 AM
Also, check to see if the gears are stripped. You can't tell if the gears are stripped by turning the gear itself as that's directly attached to the head but the motor may not have anything to work with.
Sep 20, 2011, 11:57 AM
"whirlydude"
Quote:
Originally Posted by Element77
Hi guys,

this is my first post, and it's not good. I waited all week to get my FIRST heli. A Lama400/135. I started flying it Friday night, and Saturday... not letting it get any higher then eye level, until I feel more comfortable... Well, my brother came over, wanted to try and flew it for a good 3 minutes, but was not used to the throttle... didn't have enough speed... and it missed the grass and fell about 6 feet to the cement... Popping the back off the fuselage, popping the tail router out, breaking all three wheels off the bottom...

Well, he felt horrible, so he just ordered all new parts... fuselage, etc. We somewhat assembled it to check... and now it just flies in circles on the ground... I don't know what the issue could be, but I've been trying to read about it all morning....

I have the fuselage completely off now, and been trying to see what the issue could be... I did notice I can turn the bottom gear plate with my hand, and the top blades move. I can turn the top plate and and the bottom blades move... Iif I manually turn the top blades, the plate moves, BUT if i turn the bottom blades the plate DOES NOT MOVE. Is this where my issue could be?Huh?

The blades have minor crack, but i don't think this is the issue... Am I on the right track? And what can I do to fix this... Im terribly upset, because I didn't want to take flying lightly, and I was looking forward to flying all week....

Thank you for any help,

James
It's probably spinning to the right, or cw. This is because the 2 set screws in the upper gear have sheared off, and the gear is slipping on the outer shaft. You will need to remove the lower gear, which drives the upper rotor blades, and then remove the upper gear. The tips of the screws may have stuck in the outer shaft mounting holes. If so pop them out, and install new screws in the upper gear for mounting to the outer shaft. You can use any screw that is about the same size, just make sure the screw enters the mounting hole on the outer shaft. You don't want it to penetrate into the outer shaft as to bind on the inner shaft. To know where the mounting holes are in the outer shaft when installing the upper gear look at the set screw location of the collar that is located under the swashplate. There are 3 sets of mounting holes in the outer shaft, and they all line up with one another. (lower rotor hub, collar, & upper gear) You may also want to check the set screws in the lower rotor hub to make sure they are snug.

edit: You should replace the cracked blades with new blades. Just as a safety issue, and because they could cause vibration, and come apart resulting in a crash.
Last edited by flyeraroo; Sep 20, 2011 at 12:11 PM.
Sep 21, 2011, 06:56 AM
Hard enough to take when you prang it yourself, becomes a headache for 2 people when another person does it for you. I guess it would be nice (an ideal situation) if your brother could spring for a new replacement, but that´s for you guys to sort out.
Unfortunately, as with many things, they are never exactly the same again once broken, even if expertly repaired, but repair them we must unless we have enough moolah to buy a new one each time it deep sixes.
Not sure if you have an exploded parts view for reference, here is one for the other 400 models with the fuselage and fake fenestron tail. The mechanics are the same.

http://www.walkera.com/cn/upload/pic...lama400_ex.jpg

There are plenty of experienced guys here who will always help another hobbyist, but all they can usually do is make suggestions of what to look for, as it can be hard to accurately diagnose crash damage issues based on the owner´s description. Sometimes clear photos can be a big help. Just carefully think about whatever is suggested and look closely at what´s involved.
Good luck with it, hope you get back to flying soon.
Sep 21, 2011, 09:53 AM
Thread OP
Well, that's exactly it... I pulled out the gear, and outer shaft... and wouldn't ya know, the micro screws were snapped out, and stuck in the shaft... so order a new shaft, and set of screws....
Sep 21, 2011, 10:31 AM
"whirlydude"
Quote:
Originally Posted by Element77
Well, that's exactly it... I pulled out the gear, and outer shaft... and wouldn't ya know, the micro screws were snapped out, and stuck in the shaft... so order a new shaft, and set of screws....
You shouldn't have to replace the shaft, unless it is bent. The tips of the screws can be tapped out with a punch or even a small nail. The holes in the shaft are not threaded, so the tips will pop out.
Sep 21, 2011, 04:21 PM
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by flyeraroo
You shouldn't have to replace the shaft, unless it is bent. The tips of the screws can be tapped out with a punch or even a small nail. The holes in the shaft are not threaded, so the tips will pop out.
..I hate my life, you're right... oh well, I have millions so 8 bucks, won't kill me. /sarc.

But I did recieve my new fuselage today, and the training set... But, how do I attach the training gear????? Everyone that I've seen, plus the one that was shipped seems like it's supposed to hook thru the landing skids...

Well, my 400 has wheels, how do I do this? Can someone point me in the correct direction???
Sep 21, 2011, 08:16 PM
Never let anyone else fly your craft. RC helis and planes are not cars and their operation is not simple. I am amazed in how much I have learned in 2 weeks and how much physics there is going on with this model helicopter. Better just purchase an S107 for an interested friend and let them play with it and figure if they like it or not. I just started and have already told a few people "no".

Quick Reply