Sep 18, 2011, 08:13 AM
Thread OP
Question

Next step from 3-channel coaxial

I've been playing with a friend's 3-channel coaxial, and the FMS and HeliSimRC sims. I want to buy my first machine. Is it viable to go to the mSR or do I need to start with an mCX first? I would like to avoid that step if I can.

Nomad
to remove ads between posts
Sep 18, 2011, 09:03 AM
Before Oblivion
I went this route

http://www.myrcmart.com/rc-helicopte...-c-45_193.html

Cheap, does a great job as 4ch trainer and it's tough, can't break it.
Read the thread in micro helis
Sep 18, 2011, 09:55 AM
Thread OP

Thanks

I'll check out the thread, although I did have something more substantial in mind.

Nomad
Sep 18, 2011, 05:09 PM
Before Oblivion
Blade MSR is not more substantial, they are both in the same class of heli, only you pay less for the 9958. Have not flown the MSR but the 9958 flies well I don't think you'll be disappointed.
Sep 18, 2011, 05:59 PM
Fly Runaway Fans
Unless your wind is always high, no need to confine yourself to indoor. Blade 120SR flies admirably in breeze once you get the hang of it. A little large to maneuver in living space but can practice hovers and arcs. Once I got it, I sold or gave away all my 3chs.
Sep 19, 2011, 12:28 PM
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by olof
Blade MSR is not more substantial, they are both in the same class of heli, only you pay less for the 9958. Have not flown the MSR but the 9958 flies well I don't think you'll be disappointed.
Olof,

Thanks for the tip. This from the website that you linked to:

"Please do not compare the quality of this helicopter with other famous and expensive brands, and do not purchase this helicopter if you are after the quality has to be (or close to) as good as famous MSR or Trex 100 (price more than a double & double) because this helicopter might not be suitable for you."

I'm thinking parts might be an issue.

Regards,

Nomad
Sep 19, 2011, 12:33 PM
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by arbilab
Unless your wind is always high, no need to confine yourself to indoor. Blade 120SR flies admirably in breeze once you get the hang of it. A little large to maneuver in living space but can practice hovers and arcs. Once I got it, I sold or gave away all my 3chs.
Arbilab,

I like the 120 SR. It's the same size and weight as the thing I've been playing with. The two things that stop me from buying it are:

1. The next step after mSR/120 SR will be the mCP X. The mCP X is smaller than the 120 SR. I don't want to go down a size after SR.

2. I plan to spend the winter flying indoors. The smaller size will be easier on the wall and furniture.

Thanks for the tip.

Nomad
Sep 20, 2011, 12:17 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nomad57
Olof,

Regards,

Nomad
http://www.myrcmart.com/great-wall-g...1_194_195.html

Full spares backup bloody cheap as well
Sep 20, 2011, 03:31 AM
Before Oblivion
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nomad57
Olof,

"Please do not compare the quality of this helicopter with other famous and expensive brands, and do not purchase this helicopter if you are after the quality has to be (or close to) as good as famous MSR or Trex 100 (price more than a double & double) because this helicopter might not be suitable for you."

Regards,

Nomad
Well I can only go on first hand experience I have had this heli for a couple of weeks and crashed it a lot and nothing has broken so far.
It has been flown indoors on hard wood flooring just learning to hover, but it will get away from you and gather speed and momentum but as I say nothing broken so far, maybe just lucky. It is super stable in flight but obviously has full 4ch controlability. Good for me to learn on, for next to nothing cash. I don't regret it for a moment. Rather spend $29.90 on something which at the end of the day is transitional to CP Heli. Already looking to get Walkera Genious CP.
Best regards Olof
Sep 20, 2011, 03:34 AM
Before Oblivion
PS
Parts seem to be in abundance I have got loads really cheap, but doubt I'll use them.
Sep 20, 2011, 09:08 AM
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by olof
Rather spend $29.90 on something which at the end of the day is transitional to CP Heli. Already looking to get Walkera Genious CP.
Best regards Olof
I would love to spend $29 on it. Trubble is, it's $29, plus shipping, which to Canada is another $30 or so. If they send it any other way than through the mail, then comes a brokerage charge of $50. Now I have a machine for $109, which I can buy at an LHS for $88.

I considered a Revell proto max at $88, but then I need an extra battery, $12, a charger $22 so now I'm up to $122. With four batteries, it's $148.

The mSR is $139, but comes with a four-port charger and two batteries. I can have four batteries for $149 total. The little bit extra seems worth it, when I consider all factors.

If all I wanted was the basic machine with one battery, the cost can range anywhere from $60 to $110, and I still don't have the E-flite 'quality' and support.

The page you linked to says that they ship via 'EMS', whatever that is. It would be helpful if I knew what EMS is. Anything that doesn't come through Canada Post incurs a heavy brokerage fee.

Regards,

Nomad
Sep 20, 2011, 10:58 AM
Before Oblivion
EMS is China Post's Express Mail Service, I didn't opt for that and it still got here in less than a week.
Yes shipping is on top of that $29, I'm in the UK so shipping is about $20 plus its very rare to get charged import tax, I never have, I think theirs a limit on monetary value over which they start to care. In the UK it comes to me via Royal Mail ( normal postal service)
It shouldn't be $30 dollars shipping you can check this when checking out before paying, you don't have to pay if you don't like it!
We don't get any sort of brokerage charge here. For me the whole package cost me $49 a massive saving on an MSR from LHS which would have been more than double that.
I have checked out MSR at my LHS and I don't think they're any better to be honest.
Sep 20, 2011, 01:09 PM
Owner1
Just bought mine today. To the U.S., with spare parts and 3 extra batteries, it was $58.63.

Owner1
Sep 20, 2011, 06:10 PM
Excited Noob
If you are going to get the mcpx and i recommend it...you have to start thinking about a good radio. If you buy the radio now and get bnf msr they are only $99 dollars and you get everything the rtf has minus the radio.

I went dx6i and msr bind to fly then i got the mcpx bind to fly as well.

Not knocking the other advice you have had here but i thouroughly recommend the msr.
Sep 20, 2011, 07:36 PM
Thread OP
After making more more inquiries in another forum, of the distributor's tech rep, and my LHS, I have come to the same conclusion. I will probably be getting the mSR. The parts support is good, and my LHS supports it. A $58 heli isn't going to be very satisfactory if I have to get parts from halfway around the world.

The mSR has a pretty good reputation. It is a known quantity, even if it isn't perfect. I doubt that many, if any helis are perfect.

I won't be getting the DX6i just yet, until I know whether or not this hobby is going to be for me. Also, the BNF mSR is no longer available, nor is the AO.

Nomad

Quick Reply