Sep 17, 2011, 07:29 PM
Thread OP
Discussion

Herr "Alien Aircraft" Taylorcraft Build

Not really a build but I am almost ready for covering. This is a Alien Aircraft design and a good quality kit. The build is straight forward and the balsa is excellent quality with accurate laser cutting. Will all these laser cut kits it is a little difficult to build using my favorite wood glue so I finally converted over and used CA. I tack glued everything with thin CA and went over the major stress areas with wood glue fillets. I probably could have used wood glue, but man between the clamps and dry times it would have taken sometime to build. I started this build yesterday morning and new she is ready for covering minus a final sanding. The only modification I made was to sheet the nose instead of leaving the stringers. I am impressed with this kit and now I am going to order the newly released Pt-17 Stearman from Alien Aircraft.
http://www.alienaircraft.com/k306.htm
to remove ads between posts
Sep 17, 2011, 07:58 PM
The Herr kits are outstanding. I have built four of them and they all fly great. I will be ordering the PT-17 as well.

Ed
Sep 18, 2011, 08:06 AM
road wart
looks nice
Sep 18, 2011, 09:11 AM
Scigs, Whew, you started yesterday morning and you're ready for covering? Nice work. I'd say that's as fast or a faster build than some ARF's! Good to hear the kits are well engineered and balsa is very good. Looks like one could almost build these kits w/o plans as the laser cut wood fits together tight. Got my eyes on these kits as well.
Sep 18, 2011, 10:06 AM
Thread OP
I too was surprised how fast she went together. Like I said I normally build with wood glue so this was a shock to see her go together like a puzzle using CA. I just ordered the Pt-17 Stearman from Alien Aircraft and will post more pictures of that build. I bet they put ARFs together pretty quick especially if they are laser cut. I only have one ARF kit that was given to me as a present and looks like they just tack glue everything with CA. I have seen other ARFs at the flying field after a crash and same-thing tack CA with no reinforcement. Now I am not saying anything bad about that since the crashed planes had the joints intact still.
Sep 18, 2011, 10:51 AM
When I build a HERR designed kit I have to force myself to slow down. If I don't do that the pleasure of the build process is far to short.
That's how good his designs are.

BM
Sep 18, 2011, 10:58 AM
That may be true of these new Alien Aircraft kits, but I'd have to disagree with you on one kit in particular. The old Aqua Star seaplane required much fiddling and modification to get it to work right. I converted it to electric and finally gave up on it after many failed attempts to take off from water. I'm a seaplane nut so I only have so much patience for messing around, trying to get it to work. I want to give Tom Herr another chance as I have my eyes on the Herr Dragon Seaplane through Alien Aircraft. A thread has been started, but no flying info I could find as of this moment.
Last edited by Fast Freddy; Sep 18, 2011 at 11:04 AM.
Sep 19, 2011, 09:03 PM
Thread OP
Started covering today, using Monokote Jet White and Insignia Blue. I really like the look of Monokote so I don't mind the weight penalty vs a lighter film. I will finish covering on my next day off. I covered the bottom wing with one piece of Monokote and the top wing with one Piece, also added some washout in both tips.
Sep 19, 2011, 09:23 PM
road wart
who stocks these kits?
Sep 19, 2011, 09:49 PM
Racie, www.alienaircraft.com
Sep 19, 2011, 10:50 PM
road wart
thankyou
Sep 21, 2011, 11:44 PM
Thread OP
The covering is all done and now I just have to paint the struts and cowl and put her together. I also received my next build from Alien Aircraft today, the Pt-17 Stearman, I must say this kit has a lot of wood.
Sep 22, 2011, 10:31 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by scigs30
I also received my next build from Alien Aircraft today, the Pt-17 Stearman, I must say this kit has a lot of wood.
Excellent - I have one on the way too for an eZone review. Can't wait!

Mike
Sep 28, 2011, 01:19 AM
Thread OP
Been busy at work once again, but I was able to break time away and almost finish my Taylorcraft. Everything is complete except the final coat of LustreKote on the cowling and struts. I found a Rimfire 300 that should work perfect except I had to change the motor mount a little to accept the Rimfire. Even with using Monokote I believe I will be at the 16 oz mark ready to fly. When the paint dries I will take some more pictures, but in the mean time I will start on the Alien Aircraft Pt-17, pictures and new post to follow.
Sep 28, 2011, 12:27 PM
Scig,

Nice work on that Taylorcraft, it sure looks sharp. Nice pinstriping too, it really sets the plane off.

I have my eye on that PT-17 too. Please report progress if you dont mind, it is certainly appreciated.

Herr and Alien kits are very enjoyable kits. They are really well thought out and engineered. Kudos to Tom Herr.

Dan

Quick Reply