This thread is privately moderated by Pitstop000, who may elect to delete unwanted replies.
Oct 27, 2011, 05:40 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by johnfh
Thank you for the reply, obvious there was a communication gap.

You have my number
"I "still" want to fly all year long, not just at events, I also don’t want to practice alone, it’s no fun and without good critique, you never get better. And at this point, I wouldn’t even know what to practice. I’m not interested in winning the Nats, but flying with a purpose instead of just wasting fuel sounds a lot more fun.”
John,
I’ve been following your posts with interest; your situation is about where I was a year ago. I suddenly lost interest in boring holes in the sky when I found the classic pattern movement here on these forums. But I quickly discovered that if you don’t live in the Southeast there is virtually nothing on the classic pattern RADAR in your area, the kit manufacturers are a small cottage bunch and period correct engines and parts are all barn-finds that people toss up on Fleebay or sell on these boards. Outside of the Southeast classic pattern flyers and groups are nonexistent except for Paul in the Northeast and a small but extremely handsome group in the Southwest. Both groups are just now starting their grass root efforts to link flyers and schedule meets. It’s not going to be easy to locate people parts and planes but we can sure use your help to grow this in your area.
Thanks and Welcome to Classic Pattern!
Eric
to remove ads between posts
Oct 27, 2011, 06:12 PM

Cpa

Eric,

There has been over 10 classic pattern events thru out the US... yes most in the southeast, but other area's also , coast to coast... 2012 calendar ihas started to come alive with contest in GA,MN,TX so maybe one in your area ?

well building season should be fun...

scott cpa#2
Oct 27, 2011, 06:29 PM
Service First
Eric
Thanks for the welcome, it 's interesting to find out just how small a following it has considering some of the planes are drop dead gorgeous and they don't have to be all that expensive or complicated if you don't want them to be. I thought it would be a lot more popular.

I have noticed that kit manufacturers in general are a dying breed, a quick look at tower shows that, 1 page of 60 size kits, 6 pages of arf's and rtf's.

One thing we need to figure out is how to get people to actually want to build models again. How did watching tv become more fullfilling then creating something with your hands?
When I started looking at the different planes available, my eyes lit up and I saw piles of balsa dust everywhere, and was looking forward to peeling Tite Bond off my fingers.

I'm going to make my best attempt to learn the flight manuvers with what I have for now, and in the process finalize a plane to build so I have something proper for spring.
Maybe if more of these pretty airplanes start showing up around, more people might notice them.

* I just noticed the new WRAM show ad, has anyone checked with them about providing booth space to local groups?*
Last edited by johnfh; Oct 27, 2011 at 07:08 PM.
Oct 28, 2011, 12:28 PM
John,
I’m sure Scott is right and it’s not that bleak; I’m just giving my perspective that is probably skewed with a little geographical frustration (and maybe some constipation). The planes are what attracted me also. I grew up watching these but was never in the position to own one or compete. Getting into it I figured I could just buy, build and fly but it’s not as easy as that. Plus we all narrow our scope to fit our tastes and that makes it even harder. The Eureka-type short kit manufacturers sound like the best place for your taste. I’m sure you could get a screaming Troublemaker out of a box of balsa in no time. And that’s a good choice because it’s kind of a ‘tweener’. It’s SPA legal but would also be a good CPA ballistic piped / retract ship.

Those are the two general philosophies in vintage pattern now, SPA and CPA. They are also real organizations but I’m just using them as labels.

Senior – Older models, no pipes, no retracts. Flying; it’s more about the competition than being faithful to the models.
Classic – Any vintage pattern plane, piped ballistic types encouraged. Faithful representations valued. Flying; loose competition and classic meets.

The Senior Pattern Association is a large organization that’s been around for long time. They have a strict set of rules – no pipes, no retracts, no electrics and an approved list of models period. BUT, and this is a weird but… They allow 4 strokes?? This lead to the approval of wild deviations in airframes to accommodate. So give your short nosed, big propped, stretched tail dragger creation an approved name and then you might be able to compete with some very serious pilots.

The Classic Pattern Association is a start up that blended-in the old Ballistic Pattern Association. This is the group I gravitate to. The rules haven’t gelled yet and they may never, oh well. Right now everybody is having fun gathering groups and promoting events in their areas. They range from meet-n-greets to pattern competitions with trophies. These guys all appreciate original models and equipment and faithful recreations. But nobody is too proud to thrash some Tower Kaos ARF’s for fun or training.

Like I said this is just my limited perspective and at this moment my perspective is the back of the toilet door.
Ain’t iPads great!
Eric
Oct 28, 2011, 01:47 PM
Raised on 80's Pattern
Quote:
Originally Posted by edh13
... and maybe some constipation...
my perspective is the back of the toilet door.

Eric
Eric,

Hope everything came out alright!

Doug
Oct 28, 2011, 01:48 PM
KM6UBL
Quote:
Originally Posted by edh13
John,
and a small but extremely handsome group in the Southwest.!
Eric
Oct 28, 2011, 02:30 PM
Service First
I noticed that too Vertigo II, I just figured he was talking about the planes.

I downloaded a set of rules from CPA, just to get it straight so as long as its a pre 92 or so pattern design it is good for "Classic", and for Senior it has to be on the list.

A short kit is probably the way to go to save a little time, I'm looking at a couple of the glass fuses available, I can cut foam cores. Although just the term "Classic" is sort of pushing me to all built up. I'll even have time to sort out the retracts because I have to fly gear down till I get out of novice anyway.

It's nice to see there are events to attend, but for me events are to few and far between(I live less than a mile from my club field, I get spoiled), and it would be nice to have a local sort of thing on a regular basis, like every other sunday someone host a mini event or practice at their club. And for CT folks most clubs are not much more than an hour or so drive for most.

I have always thought some sort of guest privilage between local clubs would help bring more people together.
Oct 28, 2011, 03:24 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vertigo II
Ok so maybe I was exaggerating a little bit...
Oct 28, 2011, 11:36 PM
Paul Pappas,.....AMA....L42520
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by johnfh

* I just noticed the new WRAM show ad, has anyone checked with them about providing booth space to local groups?*
So John are you getting a booth? $450 I think will do it.
Oct 29, 2011, 12:10 AM
Service First
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pitstop000
So John are you getting a booth? $450 I think will do it.
A booth would require someone or something to represent...
Last edited by johnfh; Oct 29, 2011 at 12:16 AM.
Oct 29, 2011, 01:13 AM
Raised on 80's Pattern
"Can't we all just get along?"

Rodney King
Oct 29, 2011, 02:01 AM
Don't worry, Doug. This is just how these east coast guys communicate with one another. I lived in New York a couple of years when flying C/L Stunt and it was the same thing. They all show up and have a good time at the contests, while shouting insults at one another!
Chris...
Oct 29, 2011, 07:03 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by stuntflyr
Don't worry, Doug. This is just how these east coast guys communicate with one another. I lived in New York a couple of years when flying C/L Stunt and it was the same thing. They all show up and have a good time at the contests, while shouting insults at one another!
Chris...

Anyone for a dose of Ceeees'

Oct 29, 2011, 07:57 AM
Service First
Nothing to do with getting along or insults. Pure economics.

I don't currently belong to a group or organization that would benefit from a booth at WRAM or doesn't already have one.
So investing money or time for a booth would be counter productive for me.

If I was however, a memeber of such a group, and 5 or 6 fellow members wanted to participate in such an adventure, it would probably go along way to bringing new people to pattern, and probably make the organization a little stronger too, that working towards a common goal thing.
Oct 29, 2011, 12:40 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by hook57

Anyone for a dose of Ceeees'

No thanks.
Chris...

Quick Reply