Apr 14, 2017, 10:23 PM

crash pic

Here's how I found it about a 1/4 mile away..... at least it wasn't raining.
to remove ads between posts
Jun 27, 2017, 08:04 AM
KM6UBL
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vertigo II
If you are interested, then step up and make it happen. If you are waiting for someone else to do it, You are in for a very long wait.

Robert

Quote:
Originally Posted by gobigdave
Really? No wonder there isn't much interest with responses like that.

I was simply interested in the answer to a valid question. No need to snap back like I need to go setup an event because I'm interested in whether anyone is still flying classic pattern in the area. I know I'm the only one at my club (and the other nearby) interested in classic pattern. Before anyone steps up, it would be nice to know if anyone is even interested in the area.

As a director, I would expect a response a bit more accommodating of a simple question. Maybe if we can find some others in the area, we can make it happen.
Sorry Dave, the response wasn't meant to be terse, but factual. I get many questions as to where the events are,etc but no one wants to help. One day events have been key to success out west. It does not have to be the NATS, even a friendly "fly-in" can be an overwhelming success. We are having eight events out here this season. But the fact remains that folks have to step forward and make it happen.

The SPA is a good example that it can happen. They have some dedicated folks, and they have a great time. It can be hard to get a club to close the field for a day or two for an unknown quantity. But if you can point to others success, it can help open the door. We have an annual event at a club that have 400 members and only allows two events a year. Ours is one of them and they ask us back every year.

Classic barely exists within the greater R/C world. It will need to reach some unknown "critical mass" before it become self sustaining.

So saddle up, and rally a couple of friends. Uncle Classic needs YOU! And please feel free to reach out, I will help in any way I can.

Robert
Apr 29, 2018, 07:13 PM
Tom
Robert, I have been lurking here for almost a year. In that time, after reading your responses, I can back you up that you replied too quickly without thought. You are a great advocate for this hobby and you made a mistake. It's hard to understand intent through text.

BUT!.......

Curiously enough, since it became a "warm" topic..... It made me think. I am going to put out feelers for a fun fly here in NY. I will talk to the club about it. We only have 1 or 2 pattern flyers but what better way to get people interested. Pattern NEEDS new blood. Many want to try, but scared of the pressure of competing.

Thinking Fun Fly. Scoring if wanted and ranking available at end. Low entry. Will ask around nearby clubs and cities to try to see if I can muster interest. If enough interest will work on sponsorship.

So in effect, thanks for making the topic "warm". Made me think.

Tom
Apr 30, 2018, 09:26 PM
I've been talking up classic pattern for a while now, but around me I've only found one other guy at the local clubs in the area that used to have a Chaos. Note, I said "used to." It unfortunately was re-kitted.

I'm hoping that things will change when I finally maiden my Curare. Can't do it yet because the field is way too wet.
May 11, 2018, 04:43 PM
Tom
So a friend from neighboring club is having an event here in Upstate NY! I'd like to post this if it's okay.

Tom
Jan 13, 2019, 11:23 PM
Just signed up.

Quick Reply