Sep 15, 2011, 06:16 AM
Flippin Multirotors
Thread OP
New Product

Techone 39'' Airfoiled Wing EPP SU-31 From EPPHOBBY.com

Got this one from EPPHOBBY.com. Very little assembly needed,should have it flight ready over the weekend. Heres some pics and the specs for now.

NOTE:The SU-31 is (No longer available) Through EPPHOBBY.com

Fuselage length: 1070mm (42.1in.)
Wingspan: 1000mm (39.4in.)
Flying Weight:650--710g (with battery)
Motor: AT2216 KV 1250
ESC: 30 Amp
Propeller: 10x4.7sf
Servo: 8-12g micro servo*4pcs
Radio: 4/more channel
Battery: 11.1V 1100-1500mAh Li-pg 25C

Techone SU-31 Nanotech 3s 1300mah From EPPHOBBY (7 min 1 sec)
Last edited by Get Real; Aug 10, 2012 at 04:26 AM. Reason: updating
to remove ads between posts
Sep 15, 2011, 06:17 AM
Flippin Multirotors
Thread OP
For future pics and info
Sep 15, 2011, 05:03 PM
Cool! This plane is a new addition to my "to-do" list

Az
Sep 16, 2011, 06:55 AM
Flippin Multirotors
Thread OP
Picked up hs 65mg's and some props and youll need two 12'' servo extensions for the tail servos. Will post auw etc with and without lipo rtf before i fly it.

Current set up:
T-Motor AT2216 KV 1250
Castle 35amp esc
Hitec hs 65mgs x 4
Ar 6110 receiver
Apc 10x4.7 prop

Undecided on the lipo but will try some 20c 3s packs i already have to start.
Sep 17, 2011, 07:02 PM
Flippin Multirotors
Thread OP

Maiden Flight

Had time for one quick flight today. It was bit breezy and i flew another plane earlier in the day but the su-31 flew very well. Difficult to get a good overall feel on the set up and balance etc in windy conditions but it seemed very close from the get go. Did some hovering,torque rolls,flips,harriers,blenders,knife edge spins and regular knife edge etc and all were very stable and will be even better in calmer conditions. Was shooting some video earlier in the day and only got a couple minutes of the flight before the cam ran out of memory but will get some video when i can. Tomorrow its looking like rain all day though . Power was plenty for me with the 20c 1000mah pack and the 10x4.7 but im looking forward to getting some higher power packs and maybe slightly larger capacity and might try a 11x3.8 prop but will wait for calm conditions to check trim and cg better before i decide on what packs to stock up on for it. I used welders glue for the entire assembly and added some epp wheel pants to mine and a skid for added looks,other than that its mostly by the manual and came out to 22.5oz auw with the gear i used. I left off the servo arm extensions and used z-bends and throw was 45 degrees on the elevator and rudder and 30 degrees on ailerons and seemed pretty good to start and i ran 50% expo all around with the dx7. Will post more when i get some more flights in and everything is dialed in but i really liked the plane on the first flight even in less than calm air. Heres some pics from the field,looking forward to flying it again .
Sep 17, 2011, 09:34 PM
IMK
IMK
Get Real, nice write up on the maiden flight.

It would be interesting to see how well it handles heavier packs around the 130 to 140 gram mark (e.g. 1550 3s).
Sep 18, 2011, 09:30 PM
Flippin Multirotors
Thread OP
The 1000mah 3s 20c packs i have are 3oz or 85 grams. Couldnt really say how well the added weight will effect the plane until i get a calm air flight to check trim and cg better and pick up some larger packs to try,im thinking 1300 or so should be a good all around pack and 25c or better should have a nice increase in power though it had plenty of power for me on the 1000mah 3s 20c pack. For the smaller than suggested pack i did push it all the way forward in the slot and used some scrap epp to make a nice block in the slot to keep them from moving aft during high g stuff.

Checked the video from the maiden,turned out to be about 3 1/2 minutes into the flight when the cam shut off,wasnt sure but seemed around 2 minutes or so when i heard the cam shut off . I was comfortable with the plane from the start but kept it high with the wind being a bit gusty at times and got it down lower for the slower stuff then heard the cam go off,I was half asleep from staying up to shoot some vid of some plane stuff for someone in the morning. Today was overcast and almost constant light rain until late afternoon so didnt even attempt to go flying other than in the yard quick with smaller stuff. Will get some more video when time and weather agree.

Techone SU-31 EPP 39'' Wingspan From EPPHOBBY.com Maiden Flight! (3 min 36 sec)
Sep 18, 2011, 11:19 PM
formerly khen
I fly the Tempo with the T2216 motor with 20C and 25C Blue LiPo 1300mAh packs as well as the 35C 1050mAh and 1350mAh Pro-PACKS. That motor really wakes up with the 35C packs. Throw a 11x5.5E prop on there and its just got silly power. I like the stock 10x4.7 prop to though. It gives a bit more braking on the down lines and when you cut back throttle.
Sep 19, 2011, 02:22 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by khen
I fly the Tempo with the T2216 motor with 20C and 25C Blue LiPo 1300mAh packs as well as the 35C 1050mAh and 1350mAh Pro-PACKS. That motor really wakes up with the 35C packs. Throw a 11x5.5E prop on there and its just got silly power. I like the stock 10x4.7 prop to though. It gives a bit more braking on the down lines and when you cut back throttle.

I know exactly what you are talking about the TechOne SU-31 with T2216 is awesome, flew mine with 11x5.5 and Hyperion 1800mAh 35C...hovers at half throttle and it went ballistic going to try 10X4.7 when i get a chance
Last edited by epphobby; Sep 19, 2011 at 03:13 PM.
Sep 19, 2011, 04:06 AM
IMK
IMK
Get Real, nice flying in windy conditions. Thanks for sharing the vid.

Epphobby, I'm glad it can handle larger batteries. I'm planning on getting the same batteries for my Telink planes and was hoping they'd work with the SU-31 also.
Sep 20, 2011, 12:59 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by IMK
Get Real, nice flying in windy conditions. Thanks for sharing the vid.

Epphobby, I'm glad it can handle larger batteries. I'm planning on getting the same batteries for my Telink planes and was hoping they'd work with the SU-31 also.
The Hyperion 1800mAh 3S 35C weight 140 grams or about 5oz and i don't have problems with the CG.
Sep 28, 2011, 12:41 AM
Flippin Multirotors
Thread OP
Got a couple more flights in with the su 31 sunday. Tried a apc 11x3.8 sf prop and it worked very well overall.. a bit less top end but smoother power delivery for the slow floaty stuff and hovering with better punch out. The 20c 1000mah packs im using for now are not up to the task during long uplines and long WOT flight,i'll get some new packs ordered when i can. During the assembly i lightly sanded the underside of the epp hinges for all flight control surfaces for smoother operation with less resistance and may have sanded a bit to much on the rudder(epp hinges usually wear and tear after a while on there own though). During the second flight a full throttle blender tore the rudder hinge,easy fix with a welders glue hinge but this will eventually happen with just about any epp hinged plane out there over time. Looking forward to flying it with better rated packs when i can and power will go up quite a bit over the 20c packs ive been flying it on so far. Something to note for those assembling the plane,the production version servo slots in the tail differ a bit in servo placement shown on the techone su-31 pictured on the site. Ive noticed this one other time where the final production plane was slightly different than the model shown on there site.. was one of there early epp bipes and the drag devices for the ailerons were different then the revised ones used in the final production kits.
Sep 29, 2011, 04:25 AM
Flippin Multirotors
Thread OP
Ordered 3 1300mah 25-50c nanotechs,should be here next week.
Oct 03, 2011, 05:30 AM
Flippin Multirotors
Thread OP
Packs still haven't been shipped from hk.. might be next weekend or later before i can fly it on the new packs.
Oct 08, 2011, 02:29 AM
I've been researching 3D foamie types of planes and from what I can see the Techone and Telect type of 3d planes seem to look and fly a little heavier (less floaty) than some of the other variety of flat 3D foamies like (for example) the Twisted hobby Extra Slick and Vector. Is that an accurate perception and if so then which of these two types of planes would be friendlier for getting started in 3D flying?

Thanks

Quick Reply