Oct 09, 2011, 09:23 AM
Well, things are progressing on my new boat build. I have the mast and booms done (I like to add extra adjustments on mine for more control of sail shape) and I've constructed a new adjustable boom vang from a design from a man in Arizona (Jim Ball). It is a spring loaded simple bowsie adjust design made from parts obtained from the local hardware store (in this case, ACE Hardware). All together it costed about $11 and is completely class legal, as it utilizes the stock ball ends and balls on the boom. I'm anxious to give it a go at the pond and have installed it on my old boat to do so at the next opportunity.

Here's a picture. The design will be featured in an article by Jim Ball in the next Seawind Express newsletter, due out in the next month or so.
to remove ads between posts
Nov 27, 2011, 10:20 PM
Yosef Sailor
Boomer,

I wanted to pass on a new find regarding hatch sealing.

I, like most are planning on changing the hatch to a clear plexiglass with a closed cell foam with thumb screws. However, during my travels to Germany, I asked the guys over there what they use to address the hatch issue on the Seawind. He showed me some putty they use with the stock hatch and they never get water penetration.

When I got back home, I was researching online some items to add a new outlet in my garage when I came across a product called Duct Seal. It is a putty that stays pliable and does not harden. It can be found in the electrical dept of any hardware store. It is grey in color and comes in a block roughly 1"-1 1/2" thick x 2 1/2" W x 5" long. Approx $2.75 per block.

I took it home and pulled out stock hatch and my plexi and rolled out about a pencil size diameter roll and applied to the hatch completely around the underside edge. I then pressed it onto the plexi and just like the foam, you can see when you have a good seal.

Just to test the water tightness, I sprayed it to death with the water hose while looking through the plexiglass side and nothing penentrated.

To remove, you would simply pull it off and remove any remaining putty from the plexi/hatch and the boat. It is reusable and does not lose its tack.

I still like the look of the plexi hatch cover and will keep the thumb screws and foam, but will definetly use the putty to seal everything up.

Anyway, just thought I would pass this on.

DW
Nov 27, 2011, 11:14 PM
Boomer1
DW
Another possible application might be on the rudder well covers on the Seawind and my Yamaha. I have been using very thin two sided tap, which works pretty well. Might be able to get a thinner gasket out of it.

Thanks for the tip!
Boomer
Nov 28, 2011, 12:30 AM
Big Boats Rule!
When I built the SW for a friend I was a bit put off by the high cost of the plexi hatch. I figured the weak link with the stock hatch was how flimsy it felt. I made it much stiffer by CA'ing a couple of carbon tubes to the underside of the hatch. So far it has worked well. I have not tried the water hose test, but my friend has been sailing all summer with no complaints.
Your duct seal sounds a lot like the old 'Rope Calk' that was around for a while. Same type of properties. The idea was that you push this sticky rope into the cracks in your windows, etc, for the winter, then pull it out in summer.

Dave
Nov 28, 2011, 01:16 AM
Yosef Sailor
Quote:
Originally Posted by boater_dave
When I built the SW for a friend I was a bit put off by the high cost of the plexi hatch. I figured the weak link with the stock hatch was how flimsy it felt. I made it much stiffer by CA'ing a couple of carbon tubes to the underside of the hatch. So far it has worked well. I have not tried the water hose test, but my friend has been sailing all summer with no complaints.
Your duct seal sounds a lot like the old 'Rope Calk' that was around for a while. Same type of properties. The idea was that you push this sticky rope into the cracks in your windows, etc, for the winter, then pull it out in summer.

Dave
Dave,

Sounds very similar.

Duct Seal is originally made to place around the flex hose carrying wiring going into a power box outside. It is water tight and easy to work with.

Like anything, time will tell. I still have the plexi, foam and thumb screws just in case. Most likely will make one just to have as a backup.

I figured at $2.75 for enough to outfit a whole regatta and then some, I can always use it around the house.

Take care,
DW
Nov 28, 2011, 02:26 AM
Boomer1
Dave
I was taken back by the price of the hatch upgrade at first, but after speaking to the fellow that makes them, I understood his pricing.

The materials he uses are top notch and his machine work is as well. The first one wasn't as much as the one I just got for this project. He has raised his prices so he makes some profit. If you take the time to cost the thing out and add his labor and factor in some overhead for the machines it takes to make his version, he isn't making a lot on each one. Not to mention there isn't a lot of volume there to help him reduce the cost.

I fixed my original hatch so it wouldn't leak, but I like the custom aspect the one I have. I could make one but it wouldn't be as precise.

Hoping to have the boat painted this week if time and the weather permits.

Boomer
Dec 09, 2011, 09:15 PM
Kimo
At seawindrc.com the admi. had a talk with a rep from US Kyosho and was told that there will not be any seawind kit sent to the US untill early 2012. Then est. cost will in the $450 range due to the cost of materials going up.
Dec 09, 2011, 10:53 PM
Boomer1
Heard the same thing. I have seen prices go up on those stores that have kits. Glad I got mine when I did!!
Not sure how they can justify that kind of increase on an ABS kit. Wonder how they will sell at those prices.
Time will tell.

Boomer
Dec 09, 2011, 11:20 PM
Actually,
I think it has to do with the value of the dollar compared to the yen, not the cost of materials--at least that's what Mike Eades said I think.

Either way, it really stinks. We've been pretty spoiled--the price of the kit didn't go up for several years and then it goes up this much, which is a hefty increase indeed.

Andy
Dec 13, 2011, 05:59 PM
Kimo
Not sure if the price increase is because of the money exchange rate or materials cost or maybe a little of both. The Seawind is a good boat but not too sure how well it will sell at a large increae in kit price. There are other boats that are rts at the same price.
Dec 13, 2011, 06:06 PM
Kimo
I was lucky as I stopped by the pond a and an older sailor was selling his 5 seawinds with radios for $100 to $200 each so I jumped on it and brought one. I haven't had a chance to sail it yet so do not know how well it was built but am sure that it will sail good, after all he build 5 seawinds not counting other boats that he was selling. Like Boomer I'm glad that I stopped by while he was there.
Dec 13, 2011, 06:44 PM
Boomer1
Heck, I'd buy another one. Can you find the guy again??

Boomer
Dec 13, 2011, 08:13 PM
me too
Dec 14, 2011, 03:59 AM
Kimo
Wish that I could but his daughter moved him some where and no one at the pond knows where he is. At that price I was thinking of buying his last two boats.
Dec 15, 2011, 11:33 AM
Boomer1
Hey Rolo
Just an update on my Seawind project. I have completed the first coat of automotive primer, block sanding it and will be ready for the color in a day or two.

I has been a bit chilly here, in the mid 30s and warming up to the high 40s to the low 50s, so I have been waiting to apply the color until the weather warms up a little.

May be another week - depends on the weather - Like to get it finished so I can go sailing with it.

I just finished a quick build on a V 12 - wanted something to sail when the wind is too light for my 1M boats.

Also I got a boat new to many, called a Blackstar 36. These boats are built here in the US by a very nice fellow, Chris Lones. He builds a bunch of boats starting at Footys, with the 36 being the largest in his offering.

There is a thread on this forum that has more information on these boats if you are interested.

We brought a new home, and so we are packing which is a real pain. I will have dedicated hobby room at the new house - looking forward to that! How you doing?

Merry Christmas

Boomer

Quick Reply