Shop our Airplanes Products Drone Products Sales
Sep 13, 2003, 10:51 PM

SS First Steps and First Flight?

I spent most of the afternoon trying to sort out CG on my SS-- Read various threads looked at Slowriders gerat images and decided I would move the wing back -- it balanced, but the wing seems to far back from the front of the aircraft. I am frustrated with the CG issues, so I just gbit the bullet,left the wing where it balanced and took it out on the lawn and it did a decent glide, althoug it did bend the prop shaft when she "landed."

Next, I decided to set up the servos - it was mostly trial and error but thank goodness for the Dubro connectors on the servos that metalworker recommended. After an hour of playing with them I relalized that I had put too large a control horn on the elevator and it would not allow the rudder enough movement. this may be related to using a type of CA glue that ate through the foam elevator so I had to patch that and move the control horn back, but still it is the tall one and after she was glued tight in place and THEN i decided to work on the servos, I realized the problem. So I adjusted the servos to the point I thought I would have enough control.

Did a pre-flight with the radio -- control surfaces seemed to work and the prop did spin. Took her out and cast her off and she flew pretty level till she hit the fence.... the prop broke. I changed the prop took her out again, and this time as I cast her off the rudder did not seem to move enough -- I think it was binding on the elevator control horn -- and she crashed again. Another prop replacement and she went into the air again, but this time something was not quite right and she went straight up then straight down. The prop did not break this time.

Tomorrow I am going to try to modify the control horn on the elevator -- the one that is epoxied tight -- and see if I can get more movement out of the elevator and the rudder.

What can I say, it is a learning experieince.....
Last edited by hotwheels; Sep 13, 2003 at 10:53 PM.
to remove ads between posts
Sep 14, 2003, 07:21 AM
Night Flying
It is important to check C.G. after a crash. The wing can slide forward some on impact. The servo mounts can also move, altering trim. A look at the tail can verify this ( up elevator + left rudder )
Sep 14, 2003, 04:15 PM
Hotwheels,

I'm only a few steps ahead of you but flew some enjoyable flights today even with too much wind. I even "landed" reasonably well i.e. no damage.

Concerning servo horns: I discovered that I needed to insert the ez-connector into my rudder horn pretty close to the rudder itself (i.e. 3/8 inch or so) in order to get the rudder throw I think I need.

The elevator, on the other hand, was connected out at the end of the horn, otherwise the elevator would have hit the rudder at full up position.

Just keep plugging. You will get there soon!
Sep 15, 2003, 11:02 AM
Quote:
Slowriders gerat images
Which thread was that ? I can't seem to find it.
Sep 15, 2003, 04:27 PM
https://www.rcgroups.com/forums/show...hreadid=150780

Mr. Speed,
I cannot quickly find slowriders images but it was a post in the parkflyer forum. If you do a search for his posts I think you will find it -- it was in the past week or so. The thread above also has some good images for assessing CG and placement of items on the Fuse.
Sep 15, 2003, 08:21 PM
Think I found it.
https://www.rcgroups.com/forums/show...hreadid=149299
Sep 17, 2003, 05:49 AM
Quote:
Originally posted by Ron H
It is important to check C.G. after a crash. The wing can slide forward some on impact. The servo mounts can also move, altering trim. A look at the tail can verify this ( up elevator + left rudder )
Omce the CG is worked out screw the wing mounts down and place a drop of thick CA on the edge of the servo mount. ( I think the CA thing is Boomers idea )
Dont forget the dowel through the fuse before screwing down the mounts.
Sep 18, 2003, 12:59 AM
Drunk Pilot

Very Excited!!!

I just put my SS together... yesterday the construction, today, the electronics (soldering connections to ESC, battery and motor) I put everything on and tested CG.. looks good.. little tilt forward as some suggest. I plugged everything in, works like a charm. Switched the control horns on the servos to get enough distance... used the largest that came with my HS-81s for the rudder and the second largest for my elevator.... very exciting! I put the control wires on and checked the amount that it moved.. as much as I can get or need. Then, I plugged it all in.... my elevator worked, the rudder worked AND my throttle worked.... I taxied it around my front room and scared the crap out of my cat. He's not too hapy with me.. haha... Anyway, not that anyone cares but I'm just pretty darn excited. All i have left to do is mount all my hardware, receiver and ESC... everything else is good to go. I'm EXCITED!!! Now I just hope we don't get any rain or wind.

w00000t!!!
jason
Sep 18, 2003, 08:42 AM
Quote:
Anyway, not that anyone cares but I'm just pretty darn excited
Heck yeah we care !

I am waiting for my 2nd ss to come in the mail. This time I am going to reduce the throws to minimum. I don't have a radio with expo or dual rates. If you're new to flight it's very easy to overcontrol the plane.
Sep 18, 2003, 01:27 PM
It's the last plane honey
Hey Jason,

Go get'em!!

Let us know how the maiden goes, Good Luck!

Andy
Sep 18, 2003, 03:12 PM
Drunk Pilot

Uh-oh!

MrSpeed, you said that it's easy to over control a plane if you don't have dual or expo on your Tx.. I do have these, is this something I should be using? I have the Hitec Flash5x Radio. Which channels should I use it on? All 3? Throttle, rudder, and elevator? or just the throttle? Looks like I'm grounded for a while here.. we are having thunderstorms with winds for the next several days. :-( shucks!

-jason
Sep 18, 2003, 09:01 PM
That comment was based on my theory and not a proven fact.
It seems like there are a lot that would disagree with me.
https://www.rcgroups.com/forums/show...xpo+slow+stick

When I built my first slow stick I seem to remember the throws were pretty maxed out. The elevator almost touched the rudder in the up position. I would always overcontrol the plane. Would it be better to learn how to gently touch the sticks to control the plane ? Heck yeah. But I say let me go through a few battery packs first.

My next SS I'm going to build with minimum throws, which I believe is the hole closest to the servo and furthest out on the horn. My radio is a Focus 3.

The expo would be applied to the rudder and elevator only.
The exact amount I could not even guess.

Seriously, don't listen to me. We'll see if others chime in.
Sep 19, 2003, 01:12 PM
I am not fan of Dual/Expo for any aircraft. I like to fly my planes with the feel.
I like to relate it to a vehicle with power steering. Its lame and u have no feel for the road.

If u use Dual/Expo I think u take the personality away from the aircraft...sort of numb it down. Much like placing a governor on a Ferrari .

The SS does need a larger rudder and the control wire on the the rudder needs to be moved as close to the rudder as possible. The elevator does touch the bottom of the rudder and should be fixed to prevent this. Something I have yet to do.
I am thinking I need a new SS and use the old old one for experimenting.
Sep 20, 2003, 08:13 AM
Drunk Pilot

My First Flight

Well, I just got back from my first flight. Wow, that was fun. I've never flown before so it was pretty exciting and quite interesting. Here's what happened:

I woke up at the butt crack of dawn, not even light out yet so I could get the calm weather. From what I could tell, no wind, and 43-45 degrees (gotta love Minnesota) I went out to the local school because they have several soccer fields and open fields. I was hoping it would be big enough so I wouldn't hit anything. Again, in fear I was hoping I would pick large enough of a place so I don't crash and have major repairs.

I charged my battery over night (8 cell 800 mAh 9.6V) so I had a good charge. I took the plane (GWS Slow Stick) out of the car and put the wing on it. I was getting quite excited.

After the wing was on and in place I checked the CG to make sure nothing changed on the 5 min trip over in the car. Perfect, nothing wrong. Tilted down in the front ever so slightly. I pulled out my radio (Hitec Flash 5) and turned it on. I plugged in my battery and my servos (HS-81s) made their start up sound and my ESC (GSW-600) had the red LED on stating the throttle is at zero. All things good. I tested Channel 1 and 2. Working. Gave it a tad throttle, the prop spun. Turned off the throttle and ran away about half the soccer field.. It was twitching like a dead chicken. I extended my radio antenna and the twitching subsided. I walked away a bit further and a little twitching but not bad.. I had to point the radio at plane to make it go away completely.

I walked back and picked the plane up and hand launched without any throttle. It glided nicely but to the left. Gave it some trim and ran out, picked it up again, did the same. I did this several times until the glide was nice and straight. I had to give a little elevator to keep the glide longer so I could get the trim of the rudder worked out. After I was happy with how straight it was going I ran out picked it up again and ran over to the corner of the field and pointed it in the path with the longest flight before a tree, goal post, or house. I had A LOT of room.

The plane sat waiting for my command. I throttled it up and was going to just let it take off using just half throttle (as suggested on this board.) I put it up to half throttle and it didn't move. I gave it full throttle. Nothing. The grass was too thick and full of dew/frost. I was thinking, "aww crap, now what?" So, since there was a parking lot right behind me, I put it on the pavement and let it taxi out towards the building then turned it back towards the field. I gave half throttle and it wanted to lift off but not enough to pull up. I gave full throttle when it started aproaching the parking blocks at the edge of the field and lot. It gained alttitude and I leveled 'er out. We were flying. I think I put it down in the grass shortly after because I just wasn't used to it yet. So, I decided it was time for just a true hand launch.

I grabbed the plane, gave half throttle and threw it. She flew like a champ. I had to adjust the elevator quite often to get an even flight but she flew well. I did some elevator trimming and a little rudder trimming. I had a couple times where she came down but she wasn't going fast enough to do damage and plus I did give some nice control for landing. I did this several times and then finally I had everything worked out. I had her in the air for maybe 10min or more. I forgot to set my timer on my radio but I ran until the battery couldn't power the engine any more. Glided her in and then went to pick her up.. tossed again, gave throttle and flew in a couple landings to practice my landing with low throttle and low battery. I packed it up and took her home. No damage or anything. The most damage caused was when i was trying to unplug the battery. I almost knocked the rudder off when I was holding it.

The main flight was great. I had it up pretty high but did most of my flying near the ground, maybe 6-10 feet up. I figured that way if I had problems I could just shut off the throttle and let her coast down and she wouldn't get much damage. During the flight I got risky and had her climb a little.. dropped the nose and did a few loops. It was pretty easy to make her loop.
What a great flight! All I have to say is thank you FMS! I played with that simulator for several hours before I took her out. There was only a few times I had problems with control reversal but I soon corrected thinking, "Coming at me, left wing closer to ground push left." And she straightened out right away. That simulator is a life saver for training. hehe. I crashed a ton in that program but not in real life.

The Slow Stick was awesome for just learning how to fly. It flies quite slow and I think I could get bored of it quickly but it's perfect for beginners and learning how to fly. Plus, coming in at $35 for the kit... it's not an expensive screw up if you DO crash.

Anyway, thanks a ton everyone for the help. It made for a successful flight.

-jason
Sep 20, 2003, 03:01 PM
Congrats

U wont get bored of the SS. Next u need to add a camera.