LiPo batteries feel squishy - RC Groups
Shop our Airplanes Products Drone Products Sales
Sep 14, 2011, 09:30 AM
Discussion

LiPo batteries feel squishy

Hey all,
I have two "GE Power" 860 mah 7.4 volt packs that feel kinda squishy, like there's air under the red shrink wrapping. Is this normal? My stock battery that came with my UFLYS is not this way and neither is my "Blue" Lipo pack. I read that if LiPo's expand, that it's BAD - what ever that means. I just don't want to burn the house down. my wife would do bad things to me.

BTW, i wacked it hard into terra firma this AM after a gnat flew in my eye. Blades, flybar, one tail strut gone, maybe bent main shaft. was having fun too.
to remove ads between posts
Sep 14, 2011, 09:37 AM
How high does it go?..duh
Its puffed, bin it. (Bin it after dropping it in a bucket of water for several days)
Sep 14, 2011, 03:28 PM
Really? it's not bulging or anything, just feel like there a small piece of foam under the shrink wrapping and the power is superb????
Sep 14, 2011, 05:35 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by PonyBoy1973
Really? it's not bulging or anything, just feel like there a small piece of foam under the shrink wrapping and the power is superb????
Seriously bin it - its just not worth the risk

R/C Airplane Crash - LiPo Fire JustGoFly Safety Message (2 min 18 sec)

Regards David
Sep 15, 2011, 09:12 AM
OK, i will. I guess I wont be buying anymore GE Power Batteries from WOW Hobbies any more. GRRRRRRR these still look brand friggen new! GRRRR
Sep 15, 2011, 11:12 AM
Heli collector
Quote:
OK, i will. I guess I wont be buying anymore GE Power Batteries from WOW Hobbies any more. GRRRRRRR these still look brand friggen new! GRRRR
From what you say I don't think they are puffed up.. I wouldn't throw them away but I would keep a eye on them and store them in a safe place.. As you should do with all LiPo batteries..
Sep 15, 2011, 11:16 AM
OK, here's a pic. Don't know why I just didn't do this in the first place...
Sep 15, 2011, 11:22 AM
Quote:
OK, here's a pic. Don't know why I just didn't do this in the first place...
thats starting to puff but I have seen worse - thing is with lipo's is that the material cannot be exposed to the air or they are a fire hazard - once they start to puff that airtight skin stretches and is more easily punctured.
there is a video somewhere where a guy gouged one with a nail on a stick and it just went up like the last video I showed you.

Regards David
Last edited by Hellraser; Sep 15, 2011 at 11:31 AM.
Sep 15, 2011, 11:33 AM
OK, thanks for the input. I'm going to send an email to WOW, along with this pic and let them know. they have been used very gently. frap
Sep 15, 2011, 12:03 PM
Quote:
OK, thanks for the input. I'm going to send an email to WOW, along with this pic and let them know. they have been used very gently. frap
Its always worth asking but lipo's usually tend to puff if they have been abused so you may well get the question "what have you done to cause it"

Regards David
Sep 15, 2011, 12:46 PM
k, just learned my lesson then, no more GE Power...
Sep 15, 2011, 11:34 PM
Who is GE Power anyway?

Rhino, Turnigy, Zippys Flightmax
Sep 16, 2011, 09:33 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ceros007
Who is GE Power anyway?

Rhino, Turnigy, Zippys Flightmax
Dunno, but I got them from WOW Hobbies.

I peeled back the red shrink-wrap label, and the little white tape that's under it, exposing the silver wrapping of the battery. it's definatly puffy under there. Tossing them, not gonna chance it.

Does anyone know how to properly dispose of LiPos?
Sep 16, 2011, 09:45 AM
Quote:
Dunno, but I got them from WOW Hobbies.

I peeled back the red shrink-wrap label, and the little white tape that's under it, exposing the silver wrapping of the battery. it's definatly puffy under there. Tossing them, not gonna chance it.

Does anyone know how to properly dispose of LiPos?
Discharge them as low as you can then stick them in a bucket of salty water for a few days is the general practice.

Regards David
Nov 05, 2017, 08:37 AM
I got this really cool RC car and in the first week of using it the battery puffed up! What a waste of $400!