Thread Tools
Feb 06, 2013, 06:49 PM
BOHICA!
Mike Warren's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by Downwind3Zero
Do you know what the holdup is Mike?
Chris
Parts suppliers? Rainer can't build fans if the supply chain breaks down....
Sign up now
to remove ads between posts
Feb 07, 2013, 02:26 PM
Registered User
So is the tamjet shroud and tailcone worth the expense? I know cooler running temps are better all together, and it makes a nice little pod to hold the esc (if a 120hv ice2 fits), but other than that, whats the benefit of it (other than draining my wallet another $150 for two)?
Feb 07, 2013, 03:25 PM
The best in EDF since 2005
Extreme_RC's Avatar
You are better off with the ESC heatsink in the inlet duct in front of the fan, it stays cooler and the wire lengths balance out much better, sticking it behind a hot motor with very short leads forces you to extend batt leads more than is necessary.
Feb 07, 2013, 03:47 PM
Registered User
There is no inlet duct infront of the fan... And the batteries are literally located RIGHT beside the fans
Feb 07, 2013, 04:21 PM
3DHOG
jcdfrd's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by invertmast
So is the tamjet shroud and tailcone worth the expense? I know cooler running temps are better all together, and it makes a nice little pod to hold the esc (if a 120hv ice2 fits), but other than that, whats the benefit of it (other than draining my wallet another $150 for two)?
I always talk to my models, they tell me where the components need to go to achieve cg without adding weight. that said I prefer esc in the tailcone for superior cooling, tams upgrade also adds a heatsink to the motor which improves motor cooling also, airflow/airspeed is greater behind the fan so better cooling is realized. esc's can fail and do fail, containing it in a carbon fiber tube with 200mph airflow around it can contain an esc fire and most of the time save the model from catching fire.

Quote:
Originally Posted by invertmast
There is no inlet duct infront of the fan... And the batteries are literally located RIGHT beside the fans
so open ducting? that would pretty much settle it for me they would be in the tailcone and would move the batts foward a little bit if needed away from the fans
Feb 07, 2013, 05:05 PM
Registered User
Quote:
Originally Posted by jcdfrd
I always talk to my models, they tell me where the components need to go to achieve cg without adding weight. that said I prefer esc in the tailcone for superior cooling, tams upgrade also adds a heatsink to the motor which improves motor cooling also, airflow/airspeed is greater behind the fan so better cooling is realized. esc's can fail and do fail, containing it in a carbon fiber tube with 200mph airflow around it can contain an esc fire and most of the time save the model from catching fire.



so open ducting? that would pretty much settle it for me they would be in the tailcone and would move the batts foward a little bit if needed away from the fans
I guess you could consider it opening ducting... The inlet ring is modified and then epoxied to the inlet:



Battery placement: the fans are only about 3 to 4" on either side of the edges of the batteries, and by the time you do a series harness, there is excess wire to work with.


Already had one esc fire in this model on a 6s setup, not really wanting to repeat that:
Feb 07, 2013, 05:22 PM
3DHOG
jcdfrd's Avatar
lol!!! thats about as open as it gets........dude that airframe is yelling at me "PUT THE ESC"S IN THE TAILCONE" hahaha thats what I would do for sure
Feb 07, 2013, 05:56 PM
Registered User
Alrighty... 100% fsa is no problem on this model
Feb 07, 2013, 09:01 PM
Pursuit of Happiness
Ron101's Avatar
I have heard from many not to put the ESC in the tail cone because of the hot motor....
When I read my temps the ESC stays much cooler in the tail cone. I've done it both ways and have success with each, but I like the tail cone better, never thought of the fire issue that another plus in my book.

Look to BVM and Tam Jets and see where the ESC is.... tailcone
these guys lay down flight after flight so not sure how that could be a bad place

I'll have super long leads in my F-18 but feel the benefits out weigh the long leads.. I will have a bank of caps for each fan and will check my ripple
Feb 07, 2013, 09:02 PM
Registered User
Jetnfast's Avatar
+1 Tailcone!
Feb 07, 2013, 09:12 PM
Registered User
OH man ron.. now you opened another can of worms... Caps... wonder if they are really necessary on 12" of battery leads total...at most..
Feb 08, 2013, 02:42 AM
TeamSiam

Inlet rings and stuff


Hi caps,

Mike already posted it. I run out of carbon tubes for the shroud, but they are already here in Graz at FEDEX.
So i will get them today. Then the production can start again.
Inlet rings. Yes, the are made specailly for the JF-90 and JF-90V2 (same shroud)
So i*ll send a bunch of them to Mike today. Rest of the fans will follow next week, have to canfugurate them.

Sorry for the wait, but if the suppliers are lazy, i'm in the same troubles as all other little companys like HK

Best greez from Austria,
Rainer
Feb 08, 2013, 03:58 AM
2017 EDF Jet Jam, June 15-18
Robert Belluomini's Avatar
Funny!
Feb 08, 2013, 08:07 AM
Just having fun before I die!
BadLemon's Avatar
This is happening world wide all suppliers and manufacturers are running lean inventory and most build on demand after the order is placed.
Feb 08, 2013, 10:05 AM
3DHOG
jcdfrd's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by invertmast
OH man ron.. now you opened another can of worms... Caps... wonder if they are really necessary on 12" of battery leads total...at most..
the caps on the esc are designed to handle 12in of wire between batt and esc, 6in on the batt and 6in esc leads. you will be fine, no caps needed for your install


Thread Tools

Similar Threads
Category Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Sold ESM 80" T-28 Trojan Electric w/ Sound + Smoke realdeal Aircraft - Electric - Airplanes (FS/W) 10 Oct 06, 2011 01:15 AM
Sold brand new never used power 90 e flite brushless motor Jakedizzle Aircraft - Electric - Power Systems (FS/W) 0 Sep 12, 2011 10:07 AM
Discussion My prop is hitting the sound barrier... OR... tom66 Power Systems 11 Aug 13, 2011 12:54 PM
Discussion Wemotec Midi vs Stumax 90 - Sound Comparison dro56595@bigpo Electric Ducted Fan Jet Talk 36 Jan 09, 2011 08:12 AM