Sep 13, 2011, 07:42 PM
RC Adddict
Keiths WWII Birds are up on his site Here He also has a P40 coming out in a bit as well . They sound like really nice builds
to remove ads between posts
Sep 14, 2011, 10:39 AM
roadawg27
Thread OP
loving these ideas guys...but I'm not skilled builder...would be intetested in taking that on in the future though....thanks for all the input and keep em coming
Sep 14, 2011, 12:41 PM
Watt Waster

New Scratch Builder Projects and ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roadawg27
loving these ideas guys...but I'm not skilled builder...would be intetested in taking that on in the future though....thanks for all the input and keep em coming
I can understand the desire to start simple when first getting into scratch building, so ... how about the idea of a simple delta? It is just a little more than gluing two pieces of foam board together and adding RC gear. One idea that is a great way to get into scratch building is to make a larger copy of a paper airplane. Yes, that is what the design is, a large paper airplane delta, like the one you use to fold out of paper and throw around. The foam will only cost you $1 plus tax for a basic thin foam park flyer (TFPF), unless you want a much bigger one. I recommend starting with the one sheet delta flyer since you can recycle gear from just about any foam flyer with a wing span of 16"-30", unless the gear came out of a inducted fan jet model. Of course you have the option to purchase a $10 motor, $12 ESC, and a $8 battery pack (plus shipping) for new gear.

I am assuming you already have a good RC set, but might want to purchase another receiver for the transmitter. I have been using Spektrum RC gear due to lower cost for used and the fact Hobby King offers compatible receivers for less than $30. Normally the HK receivers work well and bind easily to almost any Spektrum transmitter. That means I can put together another TFPF and make it ready to fly for less than $70 for gear and a few dollars more for the foam and miscellaneous. Hard to beat that deal with other brand name RC gear, which causes me to wonder why the other brand names don't try to compete. A few have started to come out with micro receivers, so in time there will be more choices for those of us that like to fly the smaller TFPF that also do well as an indoor flyer. There are lots of indoor flyers available for $150 or less, but most of them cannot be flown outdoors unless the wind is very, very calm.

So, ... What do you think about making a simple delta flyer? There are many styles to pick from and most of them have build threads in RC Groups. I am having trouble finding a thread dedicated to Faux Paper Airplane flyers, so I am working on making a mini-build thread for those new to scratch building and want a simple project of low cost. What you want to do is take the paper off of both sides of the Readi-Board you can buy at a Dollar Tree store. The paper comes off way too easy to leave it on, and the foam board will loose a significant amount of weight with the paper off. You can then learn how to put packing tape on the foam to strengthen it without adding all that much weight, or you can leave it naked. A lot of Readi-Board simple foam board designs fly naked, but have a little marker color to make it easier to tell if it is upside down, or turning. The key is the very low weight makes it possible to use cheaper, lite weight RC gear.

When you want to do a bit more than glue two flat pieces of foam board together, you will probably want to learn how to form Readi-Board into various shapes common to RC flyers. If you are interested in the simple delta flyers, you have a few choices; use the word "delta" in the search engine for RC Groups (above), or start making gliders big enough to convert into an RC flyer. That is what I am presently doing as I prepare to make a Faux RC Paper Airplane. I have seen some RC Paper Airplanes on Youtube, but they are actually made from foam board and look like paper airplanes much bigger than we use to make. I am working on a few designs that are easily made from one sheet of Readi-Board to keep things cheap and easy. Let me know if you are interested, or have decided to do one of the simple delta flyer projects already available in the build threads.

RC "paper airplane" Design (4 min 50 sec)

RC Paper Plane (1 min 8 sec)

rc paper airplane (0 min 38 sec)

Rc paper airplane (3 min 58 sec)

As you may have guessed, there are more Youtube video on the simple delta dart design. What I am having trouble finding is smaller versions that would be really cheap to make and fly. In the mean time, consider a few RC Group threads of simple delta designs. There are also some down right silly simple Pizza Box Flyers (PBF) you may want to consider.

https://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=867083

https://www.rcgroups.com/forums/show....php?t=1340980

https://www.rcgroups.com/forums/show...postcount=1105
Sep 14, 2011, 06:53 PM
AMA 937634
Stevens Aero has a section on their site called "Toon Scale" but there aren't any warbirds there. http://www.stevensaero.com/ToonSCALE-p-1-c-310.html

So, this wasn't really what you were looking for but I thought that I'd throw it out there in case anybody else was looking for products along these lines. These might be the perfect kits to start with if someone was trying to improve their building skills.

-Mike
Sep 14, 2011, 08:15 PM
roadawg27
Thread OP
TsAvah...bought me some foamboard...now I gotta figure out which design I wanna go with...ill keep ya posted
Sep 15, 2011, 12:25 PM
Kamikaze Ace
Deltas can be as simple or complex as you want. That's what is so fun about em.
Here's one of my one offs, never seen another like it, perfect for Halloween, the "Flying Coffin".

Oh and before I forget, pick up the November 11 issue of Fly RC mag, has plans for 2 cartoon scale jets, a Mig 15 and F-86 Sabre.
Sep 15, 2011, 04:45 PM
Watt Waster

More About Cartoon Flyers and ...

You might have missed it, but in post #7 of this thread there was a link to sparks website where he offeres his works of art, which includes the Mig-15 and Sabre jets. The magazine article was his and was about his first "fattie" jets. I will post his site again just in case some folks are interested. If you watch the video in post #7, while on Youtube, you should see links to his other efforts and may be able to get to his Youtube channel to see more.

http://parkflyerplastics.com/cart/in...1&keyword=toon

He also has a build thread on the jets and his lastest work of some of the WW2 fighters that tend to be the most purchased kits. I suppose that is why all the kit makers offer the same WW2 models and add a few others once they become convinced there is a market for them. I do confess I tend to like the WW2 fighters also, but I am starting to take a shine to the early jets up to the Korean War and a bit after. I have been giving a keen eye on the threads of sheet prop-in-a-slot jets lately. They look like easy builds and great flyers from the shared video.
Last edited by Tsavah; Sep 16, 2011 at 01:18 PM. Reason: spelling ...
Sep 16, 2011, 11:09 AM
roadawg27
Thread OP
Dl plans for a f18 profile foamie and cut it out yesterday...now just gotta find time to get it put together...lol
Sep 26, 2011, 02:00 AM
Electric Coolhunter
Keith Sparks from parkflyerplastics.com had all his great little cartoon scale warbirds at the DEAF electric event in Dallas this past weekend...here are some group shots.

While not ARF kits, they are VERY easy to build. They come as semi kits with all the molded plastic parts and you do have to supply depron and cut out some depron airframe parts....still extremely easy to build.
Latest blog entry: My 2022 event schedule.
Sep 26, 2011, 02:36 AM
Watt Waster

The Sparky Planes and ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thomas B
Keith Sparks from parkflyerplastics.com had all his great little cartoon scale warbirds ... While not ARF kits, they are VERY easy to build. They come as semi kits ...
Indeed, he does have some interesting "fat", or cartoonish RC flyers in short kits. I purchased the Miss America P-51, but I suspect there is no difference between the other P-51 kits since you provide your own foam board and paint. I'm not so sure I like the thin molded plastic parts and wonder how they will hold up with a hard belly landing, but ... and this is an interesting option ... you can enlarge the plans and do an all foam version.

I took the plans to the nearest town and had the folks make the plans as large as they could on one sheet of paper. I think it came out to almost 200% bigger. Now to get serious about construction! I will use common scale paper airplane model construction methods, but in thin foam board, which should yield an all foam version. Of course that means I won't be able to use the cheaper, less powerful (lower watt) motors. Depending on the final weight, I will need at least a $20 motor.
Sep 26, 2011, 09:19 AM
Electric Coolhunter
The cartoon warbirds were holding up great on Saturday at DEAF in the gusty winds. I saw the Me-109 take a cartwheel on landing with zero damage. A number of the models had spme abrubt arrivals due to the wind.

The models are so light that they will hold up well. The plastic parts save a lot of work in creating compound curves from depron and will get the job done.

The only difference between the Miss America and the warbird P-51 is that the Miss America comes with a cartoon blower assembly from a car and a different dog shaped pilot assembly.
Latest blog entry: My 2022 event schedule.
Sep 26, 2011, 09:24 AM
Electric Coolhunter
Double post...
Last edited by Thomas B; Sep 26, 2011 at 09:26 AM. Reason: The dreaded double post

Quick Reply