Feb 14, 2014, 12:51 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Julez
Active freewheeling is great. I get a 10% higher system efficiency by using it.
Swapping a Turnigy Plush against an YEP makes a noticable difference.
I had a YEP. they have a very good firmware, but are poorly filtered. I had to replace it with a Hobbywing Platinum. much better. the platinum is perfectly filtered.
to remove ads between posts
Nov 30, 2017, 10:10 AM
home of the best antennas
Quote:
Originally Posted by sneu
Alan designed the 9 phase controller for his solar plane--the typical model plane controllers/motors have very poor "turn down ratio" efficiency. Might be 90+% at 1000 watts but 50% at 100 watts--clearly not suitable for a long duration plane that needs 1000 watts at takeoff, but spends most of the flight at cruise of 100 watts. The 9 phase controller was a solution to the problem. The motor sees only a clean sine wave of varying voltage--it does not have to deal with the PWM from the controller--that is handled with some special high frequency transformers. The result is much improved part throttle efficiency.

Things have progressed since then and there is a new design that has a good chance of finding its way in to the hobby world. It has the advantages of the earlier 9 phase but is a simpler design--about the same foot print as the hobby controllers we have now.

Steve Neu

Sorry to be answering such an old thread, but I am working on a solar powered plane, and I was wondering if it's possible to lay my hands on a sample of the 9 phase brushless controller in question , that's for personal use and not for commercial use of course, or if you could indicate what is the "new design" Steve refers to in the above post 6 years ago.
Nov 30, 2017, 08:09 PM
Not sure if this will help but there is a discussion in the high performance section on F5E that has code for several MPPT's that may help your project.

Quick Reply