Sep 11, 2011, 05:39 PM
Question

How to grease flex shaft correctly?

Hello Guy's. I have recently purchased a flexi shaft kit for my boat.

So my question is? how should I take care for my shaft to prevent excess heat resulting damage, like rotorkilla had recently. I have a Teflon liner in my shaft, so can I just spray whole shaft and its parts with WD40 or I need some special grease
to remove ads between posts
Sep 11, 2011, 07:07 PM
Steps? What steps?
WD-40 is not a good lubricant, it is a solvent/water remover. The most common cable lube is some kind of marine grease - I'd recommend using an R/C boat-specific product like those by Prather, GrimRacer, etc.

The cable should be fully coated before each day of running, then the cable must be removed after each day, wiped/dried off, and NOT stored back in the boat's stuffing tube! Otherwise it will rust and eventually break.

Sep 12, 2011, 12:15 AM
What? Don't leave the flex shaft in the tube?

This the first time I have ever heard this being done.

The flex shaft in my K & B outboard has been in the leg for the past 10+ years without removal OR re-greasing & it doesn't have one spec of rust.

I also never remove it from my Genesis & nobody here has said to do what you suggest Zozer.

Am I missing something here or does everybody do this?
Sep 12, 2011, 04:16 AM
Redneck Injuneer
I pull mine after every day of running, wipe it down and store it in the hull of the boat until within a day or two the next planned running. Then I grease them up and reinstall them in the tube.
Sep 12, 2011, 04:54 AM
See above.
Sep 12, 2011, 05:34 AM
Don't waste your money on "special" grease, for the same price as a little tub you can buy a 1 pound tub of water resistant grease, I paid 4.99$ for the last tub I bought.
BTW I'm almost positive the Grimracer grease is just automotive CV joint grease, looks, smells and feels the exact same.
90w gear oil is also a good lube, some people use a mix of the two.
I usually pull the shaft at the end of the day and leave it out, just makes me go over the boat before I take it out next time.
Sep 12, 2011, 06:03 AM
As I can see replies are different. Some doesn't take their shafts out at all some every time.. So the Teflon liner is not enough, with a small addition of lubricant?
Sep 12, 2011, 06:44 AM
You too Bill?

Why didn't anyone tell me this before??

Geez.
Sep 12, 2011, 08:25 AM
I've run nitro boats since the late 70's . I always take the shaft out after a day at the lake , wipe the old grease off then spray it with wd40 or a like product , regrease with marine type grease reinstall it , and I haven't used a Teflon liner as all they do is cause added friction . I always regrease after a heat race because most of the grease is washed out after one run . Just my opinion .
Sep 12, 2011, 09:16 AM
I never use liners either, pulled the one out of my Motley Crew before the first run. Started that way in the 80's and never had a problem. I have seen drivelines explode when the teflon liner melts and wads up.
I just have a after run maintenance routine I've been using for years. Everything gets a good once over, I hate losing a days running due to something I should have noticed at home where I have the tools and time for any kind of repair.
Esc, fail safe, bushings, linkages, seals. All that stuff is checked at home when I re install the drive shaft the night before boating.
Then I just have to grab the boats and head out the door knowing they'll run.
Sep 12, 2011, 11:47 AM
Teflon lines are useless, just remove the shaft after each run or every couple of runs, wipe it dry with a clean cloth, then smear grease over the shaft and i then use a syringe to apply grease into the end i will insert the shaft into. I then insert te shaft while spinning it to work the grease i syringed in down the tube.
Sep 12, 2011, 01:06 PM
RELAX. You'll live longer
Most of my boats have a teflon liner but a couple don't. I cant tell the difference really. I've never had a problem with the liners overheating or binding up.
But like most others I remove the shafts, wipe them down & store them in the boat. Then regrease & install on the next race day. If the boat does more than three runs in a day, I will regrease it after the third run.
Sep 13, 2011, 06:41 AM
I've read somewhere, must be OSE or so, that when you buy a flexyshaft and stuffing tube that you must buy a thinner diameter stuffing tube if you intend to run it without a liner. Now I read here that some of you remove the liner, effectively making the stuffing tube a liitle oversized. Are there no negatives when its removed?
Sep 13, 2011, 07:06 AM
There's more space for it to whip, and also for water to come up the stuffing tube. It won't necessarily be a problem, but it could.
Sep 14, 2011, 11:48 AM
Wave Riding Vehicles
i do as many have staighted with grease but i purchased a boat along time ago and it was used for racing and the shaft was greased with a mixture of 50w motor oil and something else, i cant remember what but ive never greased that shaft again,, it is always oily when i pull it out to check it !!!!!! wish i could remember what the mixture was i cant even find 50w motor oil and i work in a shop..