Jun 12, 2019, 01:44 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crashbound
How about an old Carl Goldburg Electra. Guy had it for a few years and gave it to me, someone gave it to him who got it from someone else. So I'm the fourth owner of the kit, and I built it. Pretty sloppy kit by today's standards with CNC or laser cutting. The old girl wanted to fly! Kit was probably 35 or so years old, moved various times, the balsa smelled musty like an old book. She is a pretty good flyer but designed around an old heavy can motor and huge battery packs. Required 3 ounces of lead in the nose to balance.
I currently am in the middle of whacking off the nose & extending it by a couple inches to balance without that extra lead, & maybe even go to a lighter battery.

Attachment 11720589 Attachment 11720591
Since this thread popped back up. To follow up, I did extend the nose of that old Electra, eliminating the plastic cowling and the plastic canopy. I built a sleeker battery hatch and was able to eliminate the 3 oz of lead up front. The end result aesthetically is elimination of the stubby, pig-snout looking nose to something a little more pleasing and traditional looking. She looks more like an electric Gentle Lady now. I also changed the hinging on the flaps that I added to give them easier movement. She flies great and balances well with a 1300 lipo. Full flaps brings her down like she's riding an escalator.

Name: IMG_3432.jpg
Views: 23
Size: 1.77 MB
Description: Previous/original with the short nose & plastic cowl Name: IMG_4128.jpg
Views: 33
Size: 1.44 MB
Description: Not a great view but the new version with extended nose.  (Among her sister ships the Yellow Jackets)
to remove ads between posts
Jun 23, 2019, 09:40 PM
Steve Neill

Aquila scratch build from planes

This was a lot of fun and a lot of work to do from plans. I couldn't find a kit.
She flies great as was to be expected. First flight was a windy day but she's kind of heavy with the glassed fuse. I covered it with cloth and west systems epoxy.

Of course Mary missed the landing but it was uneventful.

(3 min 39 sec)
Aug 18, 2019, 05:33 PM
I'm All Thumbs
...So Tom, I clicked on your web link in your RCG profile page & was presented with this very suspicious page inviting me to update my flash player (which I did just 2 days prior).
Thought you would want to know.
Great to hear your kitting/cutting again.
Skies
Jay
(http://tqziy.clockjune.pw/hyllkjit/c...e/?n=692654017)
Aug 18, 2019, 06:32 PM
Steve Neill

Sig Riser

Newly built. Flies great. Full size servos and all kit parts were used. A lot of bang for the buck.

Now I need to get one of those retro Kraft radios converted to 2.4. That's so cool.
Aug 20, 2019, 06:48 PM
Its what happens when someone stops using an URL to monetize the link I suppose. I wish I had control over that but I've found that Etsy offers a great platform with excellent SEO and marketing tools that is quite simple and elegant to use. So here I am now:

https://www.etsy.com/shop/NewPrairieWoodworks/

Thanks, look forward to hearing from you Jay and thanks for the encouragement. I will be listing the Challenger and Aquila redux later this evening possibly or at least the end of the week after going through current orders and shipping.

Tom

Quote:
Originally Posted by AirBornOne
...So Tom, I clicked on your web link in your RCG profile page & was presented with this very suspicious page inviting me to update my flash player (which I did just 2 days prior).
Thought you would want to know.
Great to hear your kitting/cutting again.
Skies
Jay
(http://tqziy.clockjune.pw/hyllkjit/c...e/?n=692654017)
Aug 20, 2019, 10:38 PM
Sagitta Fanboy
Quote:
Originally Posted by mmartin55
Its what happens when someone stops using an URL to monetize the link I suppose. I wish I had control over that but I've found that Etsy offers a great platform with excellent SEO and marketing tools that is quite simple and elegant to use. So here I am now:

https://www.etsy.com/shop/NewPrairieWoodworks/

Thanks, look forward to hearing from you Jay and thanks for the encouragement. I will be listing the Challenger and Aquila redux later this evening possibly or at least the end of the week after going through current orders and shipping.

Tom
Aren't the rights to both designs held by Skybench?

Quick Reply