Sep 08, 2011, 04:26 PM
Haul ass! Turn left sometimes
Thread OP
Question

HK F-14 fan,motor,esc question. Plus a GREAT buddy code for motors posted

Hey guys. I will have soon in the mail a HobbyKing F-14 from the awesome Flash! the flying weight is about 1400-1500g. with the heavy 4S battery. And after saving up I will have some new fans and motors for a upgrade to the plane. https://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...arehouse_.html

The Motors----

The motors are HK2836 EDF Outrunner 3800kv for 64mm

Specs:
Kv- 3800
Dimensions: 75 x 28mm
Shaft diameter: 3.0mm
Shaft length: 10mm
Voltage: 14.8V
Weight: 97g
Output Power: 520w
Max current(<60s): 35A
RPM/V: 3800
Thrust: 1100g(38.8oz.)
Recommended model weight: 600-800g
Recommended model fans: 64mm Fans

The fans----

The fans I have are Cyclone Power Turbojet 64 64mm Ducted Fan (3.0) I will be modifying these to fit in place of 60mm units. And enlarging the intakes or using cheater holes.

The 6 blade is what I am going to try first.

The Battery----

The battery planned is a 4S ZIPPY Flightmax 4000mAh 4S1P 40C.

<<<The QUESTION>>>

My question is, What ESC would you guys recommend?

I would prefer a non BEC Opto ESC and plan on running a separate 5A UBEC unit that is very small. I want the dedicated UBEC for the reason of if a ESC goes out, I can still try to control the craft.

Any advice on the amperage needed for these two motors with the shown fan setups? I need to stay in a budget. So e-flight,castle, any expensive ESC is out of my league, or I would just go order some of the Castle ESC and be done with it.

I am going to be ordering the ESC from HobbyKing, or someone who has a pair of good used ones to sell here on RCGroups. Hint,Hint!

Thanks all!

H-V-A
Last edited by MiG-3 Reno Rocket; Sep 10, 2011 at 12:03 PM.
to remove ads between posts
Sep 08, 2011, 04:39 PM
Tin Can Sailor
according to the motor specs each will draw 35 amps. so a 40 amp would be minimum. i like some cushion so i would go with 2 50 amp esc's. try hobby partz or value hobby and see what they have. prices are good and they are in the states so faster service. keep us posted, i've been looking at this bird.
Sep 08, 2011, 05:20 PM
Thread OP

You bet!

Quote:
Originally Posted by seadog985
according to the motor specs each will draw 35 amps. so a 40 amp would be minimum. i like some cushion so i would go with 2 50 amp esc's. try hobby partz or value hobby and see what they have. prices are good and they are in the states so faster service. keep us posted, i've been looking at this bird.
You bet! I am excited to see this bird in the air! Flash glassed the whole airframe and I'm going to be doing the finish building. Thanks for the advice my friend. Soon as I can I'll post pics of it start to finish. By the way Flash if you read this, thanks for the feeling of being a kid again!
Sep 09, 2011, 03:30 AM
Tin Can Sailor
no problem. i would also like to see what this motor can do. i ordered the 3500kv version for my hobby king blue angle f-18. plan on sticking a 4s 2200mah 40c battery in with it. the stock set up was just enough to get you in trouble. i have the 55mm f-14 which is getting an upgrade also, but bigger is usually better and this 64mm bird has been on my radar.
Sep 09, 2011, 05:36 AM
Check HKs site, they have some under spec'd suppo 50 amp escs for 10 dollars each (the red brick or HK 50 amp). They're pretty good and even on 7s for 50 amps they don't heat up and keep there wattage.

You'll need a BEC which isn't a bad thing with this plane...

Get good speed on take off with the wings out if there's a breeze
Sep 09, 2011, 05:46 AM
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by erh7771
Check HKs site, they have some under spec'd suppo 50 amp escs for 10 dollars each (the red brick or HK 50 amp). They're pretty good and even on 7s for 50 amps they don't heat up and keep there wattage.

You'll need a BEC which isn't a bad thing with this plane...

Get good speed on take off with the wings out if there's a breeze
Sweet thanks. Was eyeballing the red bricks. Anthony hand at HobbyKing hinted that an ex e-flight ESC engineer is designing the red bricks.
Sep 10, 2011, 11:25 AM
Thread OP

Here is a buddy code for these motors

Here is a buddy code for these motors. Only good for 5 more days! From today 9-10-2011. Use the below code and get almost $5.00 0ff!

Last edited by MiG-3 Reno Rocket; Sep 10, 2011 at 12:01 PM.

Quick Reply