Sep 12, 2003, 03:31 PM
Thread OP

MIG-21 FishBed

Okay i know it looks like crap ( my 1st plane ) now but it was a fast job, wanted to see what it would look like. When i go to build it will look better and more de-tailed. The tail is not the same or the wings but close enough for me.

40 inch wings
30 1/4 fus.
18 oz ( added weight to it just as if radio,battery,motor,etc was in it)(when i go to build it 18oz is the weight i'm going for)
( no radio,battery, or motor in it yet )

Did hand toss it just to see if it would fly, it did about 45 feet C.G was a little off but not much. Went to hobby store total price to build jet was less then $20.00 bucks. This one was made from cardboard and some other stuff I had at home.

Like I said it was a rush job but what do you think ?
here are some pic's
to remove ads between posts
Sep 12, 2003, 03:37 PM
HEY!!!

Stop teasing us and show us the Fishbed!!

Bruce
Sep 12, 2003, 03:46 PM
Thread OP

pic3

pic
Last edited by leesops; Sep 12, 2003 at 03:52 PM.
Sep 12, 2003, 03:47 PM
is that a mosaic?
Sep 12, 2003, 03:53 PM
Thread OP

pic

pic
Sep 12, 2003, 04:41 PM
Permanently Banned
Is that the new BVM prototype?
Sep 12, 2003, 05:47 PM
Big gov never Works
Whats the red thingy?
Sep 12, 2003, 05:53 PM
...AAwwww...That's were my kid left his jumbo red Crayola...LOL

Bruce
Sep 12, 2003, 06:04 PM
Big gov never Works
I can't visualize that being ant more detailed..
Sep 12, 2003, 06:09 PM
It wasn't me...

Re: MIG-21 FishBed

Quote:
Originally posted by leesops
Like I said it was a rush job but what do you think ?
here are some pic's
Spend more time. You can do a job well or fast, but not both.

Dan
Sep 12, 2003, 06:29 PM
It looks like a toilet paper tube with cardboard wings and a crayola stuck in it. Dreadful... if the name Mig-21 wasn't mentioned ... I woulda never guessed.
Sep 12, 2003, 06:32 PM
Permanently Banned
There is an old film industry adage:
Good, fast, or cheap. Pick two, and only two.

Anyway, seriously, it's YOUR model, good for you, you scratch-built a model, and it flew. Nothing wrong with that!

I'll have you scale snobs know that he has created an EXACT scale model of a Mig21 airfield decoy dummy that was made out of bamboo and used by the North Vietnamese Air Force to decoy USAF aircraft into wasting their bombs on bamboo dummies. From 3000 feet and 600 mph in a 7g dive, nobody could tell, and a lot of bombs were thrown at these quickly made, disposeable "aircraft." The OP has totally NAILED the subject, it's uncanny.
Sep 12, 2003, 07:14 PM
IAMCANADIAN
Your right it does look ... uh .. well you did say it.
For slamming together a 'prototype' to test a design try that Fan Fold Foam the guys on the foamy forum gush about. Wish I could find some here in canuck land. I hear depron sheet is great too. In fact I built an Se5 from Meattrays, egg cartons etc. It also looks pretty er. unfinished but it's close to scale and I may do a fine scale version in Balsa/tissue.

Hmm.. Getting me thinking about that Avro Arrow I keep dreamin of.
Sep 12, 2003, 07:46 PM
Carbon fiber is our friend
I think it's a start.

Since you're new here, we don't know what your experience with models has been. Maybe this is the first thing you've ever tried to make fly. At least you are trying.

Carboard isn't really a preferred material for model airplanes, especially jets. Just keep going and try to make every "next one" a little better than the last.

Oh yeah, don't be afraid to ask lots of questions, but expect honest answers when you ask stuff like "how does this look?"
Steve C
Last edited by Steve C; Sep 12, 2003 at 07:51 PM.
Sep 12, 2003, 08:36 PM
If you are happy (and it sounds like it) who cares what the rest of us thinks!

A good friend of mine asked me years ago how do I make model look scale? I told him it is all math....take measurements off a drawing, multiply it to the size wanted. Draw it as it appears and its location on the original. He always thought it was because I could draw a lot better than he could. 3 months after I told him this he started to make me nervous with the quailty of his projects (some clearly better than mine) . He was an excellent designer and builder, then he got married and dropped out of the hobby. I was both happy for him but also sad. <end rant>

I would say, you made it fly and a LOT of people can't do that, even more would never even try to build something that wasn't in a box with step-by-step instructions. You are headed in the right direction.... keep going.

Quick Reply