This thread is privately moderated by Edge767, who may elect to delete unwanted replies.
Sep 07, 2011, 04:23 PM
AMA 52726
Thread OP
Discussion

Maidened the Spit

The maiden was filled with more excitement than I bargained for, but I can say that the plane is down in one piece and it flew GREAT! So what happened? Well, it all started off normally enough. Control checks, slow taxi with gradual power applied until WOT reached. Tail came up quickly and when I pulled back on the stick, it pulled up way more than I expected. I needed some down-trim to make it fly level (I will readjust the linkages later to re-center trim) and a little trim to the right and then she was tracking straight and true. I didn't use low/high rates, but I will be next time. This is the first plane I've flown that really needs low/high rates as the elevator has A LOT of authority!

As for the flight itself, the Spitfire is much faster than I expected and much more aerobatic. The loops can be VERY TIGHT in this plane and the wings flexed on mine. Speed comes up very fast, but it slows down very fast too. I did some basic aerobatics and then decided to try some gliding to see how slow it could go and to get a feel for it's best glide speed/rate. I then applied power and immediately knew something was wrong; I wasn't getting any power. It seems I forgot to turn on the timer on my transmitter and I got carried away with the time and flew to LVC. This is the first time this has ever happened to me (hitting LVC) and I immediately put the gear down and set up for a landing. Just as the plane was about to touch down, a gust of wind came out of nowhere and put the plane sideways. My heart skipped a beat. Fortunately, my reflexes were quick enough to save it and it touched down nice and gently for a nice roll out. I did scuff the right wing underside near the tip a tiny bit when the wing touched the surface of the road for a split second as I zigzagged in the gusts (which were absent for the first six minutes of the flight!) but the plane came back otherwise unscathed.

All in all, considering my first landing was under duress, I'd have to say it was a success. The plane flies great and is VERY fast. It seems like the power setup for this plane is spot-on. Climbs extremely well and is very aerobatic for a warbird. It also sounds very cool in the air; sort of a whoosh with a bit of a growl from the prop.

I am very happy with this plane. Where the Jug feels a bit more firm in the air, the Spitfire feels like it just wants to dance. Nimble and quick, the Spitfire can turn on a dime. Rolls are quick, but not too quick. It's not like the Extra 300, but in terms of speed, the Spitfire may be faster.

I got no pictures or videos of the maiden since I was alone.

The surface was concrete; I will fly again this weekend from the club field (grass) and I will have video from that flight that I will post here.
to remove ads between posts
Sep 07, 2011, 07:15 PM

Spitfire

Awesome bro. I was about to buy that one but bought the Wildcat. My gosh, on max rates, the Wildcat is a blast. So you like the Spitfire? I would probably put wing tip skids on her as the gear is very close and it will have a tendency to tip and scathe the bottom of the wing after landing if you have to turn quickly while taxing. I use these on my biplanes as they too have narrow landing gears closer to the fuse. It saves some cosmetic damage. The P-47 is unmatched as far as tracking, you are totally correct. I would imagine the Spitfire is a little more touchy and snappy on high rates. I maidened a 8lb one years ago for a friend with a 90fx gas engine. She flew great but was a tough maiden until I got her trimmed out. And, you are right again, the one I flew had very tight loops with a lot of elevator authority. Thanks for the flight report.
Sep 07, 2011, 08:29 PM
Thanks for the flight report. Good stuff.
Sep 08, 2011, 12:30 PM
AMA 52726
Thread OP
Thanks, guys.

I can't wait to fly it again! Winds are low in South-East Texas today, but having to sit in the office is killing my flying time!

Quick Reply