Dec 09, 2016, 12:02 PM
Okay Dan, a 100amp ESC with a 10amp bec to use with the 360kv motor is a good upgrade from what I've gathered from your post and from previous posts.

I have to say that by doing the zip tie mod my Ferocious Frankie is a nice flying plane. Since I'm more interested in scale like maneuvers and speed, it's sufficient for the time being. But I can see why many owners of this big P-51 are looking for a bit more power and speed.
to remove ads between posts
Dec 09, 2016, 12:43 PM
mkpatrick
Quote:
Originally Posted by Donodo
Okay Dan, a 100amp ESC with a 10amp bec to use with the 360kv motor is a good upgrade from what I've gathered from your post and from previous posts.

I have to say that by doing the zip tie mod my Ferocious Frankie is a nice flying plane. Since I'm more interested in scale like maneuvers and speed, it's sufficient for the time being. But I can see why many owners of this big P-51 are looking for a bit more power and speed.
Does the ziptie method change the appearance?
Dec 09, 2016, 12:53 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by mkpatrick
Does the ziptie method change the appearance?
Not at all. The zip ties are wedged between the prop and the spinner backplate. The spinner covers the props where they attach to the backplate. There's enough of a gap in the spinner where the props protrude so as to not interfere or rub on the spinner either.

From what I understand, this is for the v1 prop/spinner assembly which is what I have on my Ferocious Frankie.
Dec 09, 2016, 02:18 PM
mkpatrick
Quote:
Not at all. The zip ties are wedged between the prop and the spinner backplate. The spinner covers the props where they attach to the backplate. There's enough of a gap in the spinner where the props protrude so as to not interfere or rub on the spinner either.

From what I understand, this is for the v1 prop/spinner assembly which is what I have on my Ferocious Frankie.
Did you have to upgrade your ESC?
Dec 09, 2016, 03:04 PM
Failure is not an option
Quote:
Static run up at wot without the zip tie mod was 73amps for me. The mod will add about an additional 9 amp draw.
82 amps on a 85 amp esc is pretty close. Just depends on how much cushion you like.
I would up the esc myself. Others may not feel it necessary.
Dan
Dec 09, 2016, 03:50 PM
Quote:
I haven't upgraded my ESC, just using the stock power set up. A page back in this thread is a post from GringoTuerto who did some testing with the stock 300kv motor and the upgrade 360kv. Although not a direct indication of what the zip tie mod does in terms of extra amp draw, it does point the amount of power draw. Since the 300kv motor doesn't draw as much amp as the 360kv motor, and since the unloaded (inflight) power draw is well below the static amp draw, I felt safe in doing the zip tie mod. After flying my Ferocious Frankie, I confirmed that the ESC and battery were hardly warm to the touch even on a hot day. I couldn't feel the motor for its temperature because it's buried in the nose.

I should mention that the previous owner mentioned to me that the plane was underpowered as he had to fly it full throttle almost the whole time. He also said it took a long take off roll to get airborne. Before I even attempted to fly this plane I did the zip tie mod after watching a video of how to perform the procedure. Easy peasy, almost stupid simple to do.

Now, on my first flight I was at a huge runway with some pretty sharp and super nice bunch of guys from the San Jose bay area. Nervous that the P-51 was way underpowered and not knowing what to expect, I eased the power gradually for its take off roll. The big P-51 took off straight and shallow level at about a little over half throttle. After cycling the landing gear I eased it into a nice bank to the right while giving a little more power. The climb out was at about the ascent of the real P-51. The most throttle I've given my Ferocious Frankie is about 3/4 full throttle which is fine for me. The P-51 doesn't appear fast at all but when it comes by in a low pass you get a much better understanding that it's not floating by. It reminds me of when I look up in the sky and see a Boeing 747 or an Airbus 380 go by, they both appear to be flying so slow but really are not at all.
Dec 09, 2016, 04:46 PM
Failure is not an option
Quote:
I haven't upgraded my ESC, just using the stock power set up. A page back in this thread is a post from GringoTuerto who did some testing with the stock 300kv motor and the upgrade 360kv. Although not a direct indication of what the zip tie mod does in terms of extra amp draw, it does point the amount of power draw. Since the 300kv motor doesn't draw as much amp as the 360kv motor, and since the unloaded (inflight) power draw is well below the static amp draw, I felt safe in doing the zip tie mod. After flying my Ferocious Frankie, I confirmed that the ESC and battery were hardly warm to the touch even on a hot day. I couldn't feel the motor for its temperature because it's buried in the nose.

I should mention that the previous owner mentioned to me that the plane was underpowered as he had to fly it full throttle almost the whole time. He also said it took a long take off roll to get airborne. Before I even attempted to fly this plane I did the zip tie mod after watching a video of how to perform the procedure. Easy peasy, almost stupid simple to do.

Now, on my first flight I was at a huge runway with some pretty sharp and super nice bunch of guys from the San Jose bay area. Nervous that the P-51 was way underpowered and not knowing what to expect, I eased the power gradually for its take off roll. The big P-51 took off straight and shallow level at about a little over half throttle. After cycling the landing gear I eased it into a nice bank to the right while giving a little more power. The climb out was at about the ascent of the real P-51. The most throttle I've given my Ferocious Frankie is about 3/4 full throttle which is fine for me. The P-51 doesn't appear fast at all but when it comes by in a low pass you get a much better understanding that it's not floating by. It reminds me of when I look up in the sky and see a Boeing 747 or an Airbus 380 go by, they both appear to be flying so slow but really are not at all.
Congrats!
It is a great flying airplane.
Enjoy,
Dan
Dec 09, 2016, 05:02 PM
Learning to crash
Sweeet, was just informed that my P-51 was just delivered.(but Im stuck at work till 10 grrr) 17 hours from ordering it to delivery. Man I'm really liking MotionRC. And only 3 months till spring and its maiden, buhahahah.
Dec 09, 2016, 05:27 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom T
Sweeet, was just informed that my P-51 was just delivered.(but Im stuck at work till 10 grrr) 17 hours from ordering it to delivery. Man I'm really liking MotionRC. And only 3 months till spring and its maiden, buhahahah.
Perfectly said by Dan, congratulations Tom!! I'll 2nd that it is a great flying airplane and I hope enjoy this big beautiful P-51D, in either livery, Redtails or Ferocious Frankie as much as we all have.

There's tons of good information about this plane and we've only touched on the motor/ESC/prop mods. Another issue that bares to look into is the connector board and the cables that run to each wing. When I acquired my Ferocious Frankie the left wing electrics were not working at all. Ordering a replacement board that is accompanied by the cables, I swapped the board but still the left wing electrics didn't work. So I swapped out the cables and that solved the problem. Bad cable, not the board itself.
Dec 09, 2016, 05:49 PM
Failure is not an option
Quote:
Perfectly said by Dan, congratulations Tom!! I'll 2nd that it is a great flying airplane and I hope enjoy this big beautiful P-51D, in either livery, Redtails or Ferocious Frankie as much as we all have.

There's tons of good information about this plane and we've only touched on the motor/ESC/prop mods. Another issue that bares to look into is the connector board and the cables that run to each wing. When I acquired my Ferocious Frankie the left wing electrics were not working at all. Ordering a replacement board that is accompanied by the cables, I swapped the board but still the left wing electrics didn't work. So I swapped out the cables and that solved the problem. Bad cable, not the board itself.
I had a problem with my multi connector as well. Removed it and "old schooled it" with y harnesses.
Sometimes ya just need to keep it simple. Anyway it works, rock solid.
Dec 09, 2016, 07:00 PM
Learning to crash
Good news is the Mustang came with the 360kv motor. Bad news is the right flap is damaged. Had a witness as I unboxed it so I'll have to contact MotionRC in the morning and see if theyll replace it. Everything else looks real good though.
Last edited by Tom T; Dec 09, 2016 at 08:44 PM.
Dec 10, 2016, 10:04 PM
used to build now i fly
bet if you put a hot washcloth on it and wait 15 min it will look much btr. and you can message it with your fingers to smooth it out too. i do more damage to a foam plane getting it rtf than that flaps has..

never got one perfect out of the box foam just has dings and dents from birth but they fly well and are pretty tough over all
Dec 11, 2016, 02:17 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by horsefeet
bet if you put a hot washcloth on it and wait 15 min it will look much btr. and you can message it with your fingers to smooth it out too. i do more damage to a foam plane getting it rtf than that flaps has..

never got one perfect out of the box foam just has dings and dents from birth but they fly well and are pretty tough over all
Note that what is available as a replacement wing will be just the foam plus some separate parts. You would have to move over the servos, light, gear, gear doors, install all plastic parts, and cover the wires with tape. I have replaced a wing, and it was not easy to do perfectly. I broke a gear door and mangled the tape a bit. In the end, after much work, you might come out worse than one small ding.
Dec 11, 2016, 05:32 AM
Learning to crash
Yeah, Ive had to straighten out a couple of Radian fuselages with the hot water trick before. Just following procedure to report to them that it was damaged when I got it. There wasnt any physical damage to the outer box when it arrived, and it was packed nice. I'm surprised it was dinged right there as it was the wing on top and that area wasnt even up against any of the foam container. Just when you pay for a 500 dollar chunk of foam you like to get it undamaged.

Question: Are the wing plugs that connect onto the board XH style (5S balance adapter)cable style connectors? They glued the ply board right onto the rear slope (just in front of the 3 servos) in the cavity and I have pried it up and am going to move it farther down and to one side of that back slope to make room there for the Aspire amplifier board. I would like to keep the majority of the wings wires down in the squared opening to keep eveything nice and tidy in there, and if I could use a couple of balance lead adapter cables there it would really help.
Last edited by Tom T; Dec 11, 2016 at 06:19 AM.
Dec 11, 2016, 08:47 AM
used to build now i fly
tom i fully agree it would be nice to have them arrive in pristine condition so i can feel bad when i ding it the first time on the bench as i always seem to do..

3 of us ordered flyzone beavers a few years ago and love them but all 3 had the same dent in the fuse side and top from new yet the boxes were perfect. we decided it was done by the packer at the factory must have had a ring on his firm grip each plane he touched..

let us know about the balance lead idea i never thought much about those plugs till now and i would like to move my board also.

Quick Reply