Sep 05, 2011, 06:29 PM
Thread OP
Discussion

NAV lights that are worth seeing

Folks,
I have purchased 5 or 6 different navigation light packages looking for one that is visible. None have come close to these. https://www.rcgroups.com/forums/show...65&postcount=9

The bad news is that Sergey has moved on to other projects/hobbies.

Anybody ever seen a set of lights as good as this? Anybody have any idea how to do this kind of work or where I might be able to contract for this kind of work?

I really like the idea of scale lighting on aircraft, but the current market offerings are really pitiful.

TIA!
to remove ads between posts
Sep 06, 2011, 07:17 AM
"MAYONNAISE"
To be Flashy or not only depends on the Leds you decide to use ...

So, it's you to choose ... no one else !!!

This one is a bit old ... but nice: http://www.mes-avions-rc.net/video/lighttest1.wmv

and timing is ... really scale !!!

Alain
Sep 07, 2011, 01:28 PM
Have you checked out Flytron's light systems? In case you have not: http://www.flytron.com/12-rc-light-systems
Sep 09, 2011, 03:14 PM
Went to mow a meadow
Last edited by frank48; Sep 10, 2011 at 05:17 AM.
Sep 14, 2011, 08:00 PM
We can rebuild it!
Wow those lights were very realistic, I've just started to look at the 4017 decade counter thats used in a simple PPM to PWM circuit, from researchhing that I have found a few LED sequencers with that £0.40 chip, I'll report back when I've done something......
Sep 23, 2011, 03:07 AM
Pilot, Co-pilot, Navagator
i did that on a 12 inch lazy bee. green and red. not visable in the sunlight, but then again we get 350 days of full sun here.
mostly i went with the cheap leds because i was using 1s 130mah.
with better leds, or more of them, its very doable.
i was thinking of making some kits for sale. but i dont know the flashing sequence........
Sep 24, 2011, 06:33 PM
We can rebuild it!
What I want to try is having a 4017 set for only counting to 5, comntect two strobe LEDs together and to out 1 and out 3 this should give...
  • Flash
  • Off
  • Flash
  • Off
  • Off

Better known as double flash pause, so that I don't acidentanlly end up highjacking this thread I will soon start a thread on using the 4017 an one on hacking cheap toys and cycle lights etc for use as navlights.

P.s. How's the mini sub?
Sep 24, 2011, 06:41 PM
I've done some expermental low biasing with a very short pulse width to get an extreamly bright strobe like flash. This is typical of what some newer camera phones are using for a photo flash app with LEDs. My Vdd is at 12Vdc for a 3volt device.

Doug
Sep 24, 2011, 08:41 PM
We can rebuild it!
Quote:
Originally Posted by 43851E
I've done some expermental low biasing with a very short pulse width to get an extreamly bright strobe like flash. This is typical of what some newer camera phones are using for a photo flash app with LEDs. My Vdd is at 12Vdc for a 3volt device.

Doug
How is this done? I ha d a feeling that some phones were overdriving the LED flash as when I tried to find apps to turn them on permanently to use as a torch people kept saying they would burn out if used for more than a second or two at a time.
Sep 24, 2011, 11:37 PM
Exactly, great question man,

...the equation of the applied "time/watt juction power disipation issue" is much abrevated with very short pulse widths. Thus not heating the LED P-N juction to operate beyond it's maximum temperature, but it heats over the time with power applied, (it's actually very wimpy) and with it operating in CW mode (contuinious wave) it will burn out in less than a second. It's all about the device heating, or "Pd", power dissipation.

All that is emitted is not only light, is also heat. Mainly due to the simple fact that LEDs are not 100% efficient. However one could remove (sink) the heat with bi-metal juctions that make voltages when heated (and cool when powered- Peltair effect) and place that energy back on the DC bus, but that's another thread. This tecknieque got the 1st sattelite powered from heated radio active cobalt piles using "thermocouples" that produced millivolts and when connected in series the voltages added up.

For a light, like tonight's night flying swarie', I just use the google search page I'm sure that there is an app for a blank white screen~

So now you have received a very brief education in semiconductors! AC theroy is a world away from DC theroy. Switching on & off is the way things are done these days.

I hope I answered your question Sir.
Best,
Doug
Oct 30, 2011, 06:54 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by dgfinch
Folks,
I have purchased 5 or 6 different navigation light packages looking for one that is visible. None have come close to these. https://www.rcgroups.com/forums/show...65&postcount=9

The bad news is that Sergey has moved on to other projects/hobbies.

Anybody ever seen a set of lights as good as this? Anybody have any idea how to do this kind of work or where I might be able to contract for this kind of work?

I really like the idea of scale lighting on aircraft, but the current market offerings are really pitiful.

TIA!
dgfinch, I know these won't be as good but I have found a company on ebay that make their own light sets. I haven't bought any yet but they seem pretty good.

Landing/Navigation Lights

Beacon/Strobe Lights

Alex.
Oct 30, 2011, 07:37 AM
Thread OP
Ya, I think they are nice enough for the correct application but I don't think they would quite do the job.

I am pretty happy with these http://www.electrodynam.com/rc/EDR-117/index.shtml
Oct 30, 2011, 11:39 AM
"MAYONNAISE"
Those are strongly looking like LUXEON Leds ... taken off their heatsinks ...

Note production of the "diabolo" shaped ones ( sideview lens ) has been stopped. only lambertian and batwing lenses still are in production

Also have some search on Ebay : you can find ~15000 mcd 140° 4.8 mm dia leds too

for landing lights 380000 mcd 40° 10 mm dia leds exist.

Alain

Quick Reply