Sep 11, 2011, 04:31 PM
Up in smoke!
Otto,

That YF-22 flys great and looks really good!
to remove ads between posts
Sep 11, 2011, 04:58 PM
Thread OP
Thanx. I've started a new thread for the YF-22 with photos and soon will have plans.
Sep 11, 2011, 07:52 PM
Foam Floats Better
TLAR; That Looks About Right.
Sep 11, 2011, 08:33 PM

Any plans in the works F15

Sure would like a set of plans of this bird.

I am not a good scratch builder yet.

Al
Sep 11, 2011, 10:47 PM
Retired CAD guy
Well ,what is on https://www.rcgroups.com/forums/show...8&postcount=27
is what I have done re plans.
I merely took Otto's "sketch" and just squared things up and in CAD
plus some measurement reconciliation.

What exactly were you looking for ? pdf, dxf, dwg, ... fbi, cia, lbj, lsd, rsvp............ :-)

You gotta understand that Otto then came up with the YF-22 and I'm
deeply involved with it just now.

I've just CUT my 1st set of parts and need to check everything for fit.

more L8R,

Bob
Sep 12, 2011, 06:32 AM
USAF Retired
Bob...

PDF would be great!

Thanks in advance,

Dennis
Sep 12, 2011, 01:32 PM
Thread OP

Eindecker parts

Quote:
Originally Posted by UAVPilot
Really like this one also.
Especially the five gallon bucket lids for the wheels, fantastic!
The wheels are 2 gal bucket tops, the cowl is a 5 gal bucket bottom, the top fairing between the cowl and cockpit is the side of the 5 gal bucket screwed to 3/4 of a kitty litter bucket from Costco. Weight was not an issue because I needed it in the nose. I'm carrying and extra 8 oz in the nose to balance.
Sep 12, 2011, 05:43 PM
USAF Retired
This is what shows at my home depot...is this the right or similar stuff

The SUPER TUFF-R R-3.3 1/2 in. x 4 ft. x 8 ft. Foam Insulation is Energy Star compliant and highly durable and moisture resistant. It installs easily over OSB or non-insulated sheathing and directly over wood studs.

Ideal for residential applications
4 ft. x 8 ft. Coverage area
High R-value of 3.3
Energy star qualified to meet or exceed federal guidelines for energy efficiency for year-round energy and money savings
3-Ply poly/aluminum foil facers laminated to high-performance polyisocyanurate foam core for exceptional durability and water-vapor resistance
Lightweight design installs easily over OSB or non-insulated sheathing and directly over studs
One facer is blue while the other is radiant barrier-quality reflective foil
MFG Brand Name : Super TUFF-R
MFG Model # : 268413
MFG Part # : 268413
Sep 12, 2011, 06:11 PM
Retired CAD guy
OK here is the Custom sized Large PDF.

Guys who KNOW pdf may be willing to Tile it for you.

Or have it printed at Kinkos or similar.

I'm hard at the F-22 and will get back to this one when it's completed.

Bob

EDIT Sept 24
Drawing change uploaded to replace older Drawing.
Last edited by birdofplay; Sep 24, 2011 at 02:50 PM.
Sep 12, 2011, 06:29 PM
you know, I hate to ask this question, but I just can't figure out these plans. I REALLY like the idea of a gigantic flying foamie for park use. thats awesome.

I just finished 2 other park plans, but am unfamiliar with this style.

I know its a total newb question and I hate to be a bother, but can someone point me in the direction of a "how to" using plans like this?
Sep 12, 2011, 09:15 PM
Thread OP

Not what I used

Quote:
Originally Posted by wing_man
This is what shows at my home depot...is this the right or similar stuff

The SUPER TUFF-R R-3.3 1/2 in. x 4 ft. x 8 ft. Foam Insulation is Energy Star compliant and highly durable and moisture resistant. It installs easily over OSB or non-insulated sheathing and directly over wood studs.

Ideal for residential applications
4 ft. x 8 ft. Coverage area
High R-value of 3.3
Energy star qualified to meet or exceed federal guidelines for energy efficiency for year-round energy and money savings
3-Ply poly/aluminum foil facers laminated to high-performance polyisocyanurate foam core for exceptional durability and water-vapor resistance
Lightweight design installs easily over OSB or non-insulated sheathing and directly over studs
One facer is blue while the other is radiant barrier-quality reflective foil
MFG Brand Name : Super TUFF-R
MFG Model # : 268413
MFG Part # : 268413
This is not what I used. The picture is of my YF-22. The R-TECH foam is plain white on one side and has blue printing on white on the other. The printing is as shown. The actual thickness is 7/16" with white foam sandwiched between thin layers of clear plastic film. I leave the film inplace and glue to it with Gorilla glue. Other alternatives exist and have been discussed in this thread. I've never used the pink or blue foam, just Depron. I'm sure you could build this with 9mm Depron but that would require $50 worth of Depron. Best.
Sep 12, 2011, 09:35 PM
Thread OP

Patience

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rimmyman
you know, I hate to ask this question, but I just can't figure out these plans. I REALLY like the idea of a gigantic flying foamie for park use. thats awesome.

I just finished 2 other park plans, but am unfamiliar with this style.

I know its a total newb question and I hate to be a bother, but can someone point me in the direction of a "how to" using plans like this?
My recommendation would be to wait for Bob to get the parts drawings done after he completes his work on the YF-22. With the parts drawings, the plans and photos will become more clear and you can cut the ply and foam parts from the parts drawings or have Bob cut them on his CNC machine. You could build the YF-22 first, since the beta parts drawings are on that thread but with the angles of the YF, the build is a little more difficult. As far as the style is concerned, I'm a throwback to the 60s/70s style of building and am catching up myself to the new forms of presentation (my bad). This appears to be a new class of foamie so we're developing some new stuff here. Bob appears to be headed in the direction of having a ply and foam parts package together for both designs. Best.
Sep 12, 2011, 09:37 PM
old foamie
The tlar method stands for, That,Looks, About, Right. Kinda like using your thumb and eyeballing it , or simpler built to what you think the parameters are, or a close guess.
Sep 12, 2011, 09:41 PM
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by PostHoleDigger
Personally, I hate the R-tech stuff from Home depot. All the little balls of foam seem to come apart when you least expect it. I guess if you could keep the plastic film on it it would be strong enough? I always use the pink Foamular from my home depot with great results. Cuts and sands like a dream. My 51" WS 3D planes run at about 3.2 lbs. AUW.

Both these planes were made from the 1/2" Pink Foamular IS and fly great.
What section of HD carries the Pink Foamular IS and is that what I ask for?
Sep 12, 2011, 09:58 PM
Retired CAD guy
OC and DOW both make at least one version of 1/2" XPS foam sheeting.

Only ONE local building materials place would even order the BLUE for me today.

As a consequence I am doing my YF-22 with the OC Pink stuff.

Hey !?!?!?

I recently came across a link that had DOW Corning products.
So if OC is Owens Corning, ummmm, Are these two in CA HOOTS and
more likely having interlocking director ships ?

At the risk of being political.
It's not just chance that We cant get Depron in this country, at least NOT for its
originally intended use.

Quick Reply