Sep 09, 2011, 02:38 PM
Retired CAD guy
THEY, then should not need as much reinforcement, being stronger/Denser.

Personally I don't like BEAD foams at all !
Except for Hotwire cutting Foils that are then skinned and further reinforced.

The Lowes bead foam is strengthened with a layer of what appears to be ethylene skin
which is not practically glue-able for structural stuff. (It's slippery like milk bottles.)
It's a cheaper way for construction uses but still cheezy for models. IMHO

9mm Depron is thinner but available form RCfoam.com.
to remove ads between posts
Sep 09, 2011, 03:46 PM
I think I am going to give the blue Dow 1/2" foam a try. Cheaper then ordering from RC foam. This stuff has a plastic film that you can peel off. Worth a shot I guess.
Sep 09, 2011, 04:37 PM
low tech high tech
ethylene?
Sep 10, 2011, 02:10 AM
Personally, I hate the R-tech stuff from Home depot. All the little balls of foam seem to come apart when you least expect it. I guess if you could keep the plastic film on it it would be strong enough? I always use the pink Foamular from my home depot with great results. Cuts and sands like a dream. My 51" WS 3D planes run at about 3.2 lbs. AUW.

Both these planes were made from the 1/2" Pink Foamular IS and fly great.
Sep 10, 2011, 02:17 AM
For reference sake:

Foamular and Dow's blue foam are XPS or Extruded Polystyrene. Far superior IMHO for building planes. (I use 100% fast drying white gorilla glue to build with this foam and it sands and holds great. I do use a bit of water to get the foaming action to fill cracks. Less water if I don't want it to foam and fill)

R-Tech (white ball foam) is EPS or Expanded Polystyrene. I bought this to try when Home Depot ran out of Pink stuff and its a nightmare to work with. Balls of foam everywhere and breaks way too ez....

@Pylot2b... I think you will like building and flying machines with the Dow 1/2" blue foam!!! Bring the gorilla glue to the field in case you crash and break pieces. You can literally fix most foam breaks and re-fly in 15 minutes!
Last edited by PostHoleDigger; Sep 10, 2011 at 02:23 AM.
Sep 10, 2011, 10:01 AM
Retired CAD guy
I use that same gorilla glue. Under $5 for the 2 oz bottles.

Has anyone noticed the change in both Dow and OC XPS foam ?

It used to be a bit stiffer, maybe denser but in the last few yrs it's all changed
over to a softer feeling with less apparent "cellular structure" or maybe just
much smaller cells. foamy vs bubbles.

It's gotta be some environmental thang I expect as I have seen lots of
govt regulations and studies regarding new OC plants.

Depron is XPS too.
I think I heard that it comes from Holland and is used in EU for sub floor insulation.
Sep 10, 2011, 10:29 PM
Thread OP

Home Depot YF-22

New Home Depot Special.... It is painted and first flight is tomorrow morning. Wish me luck.
Sep 11, 2011, 10:27 AM
Retired CAD guy
It's 8;30 ... time to get out there and Fly !

Good Luck :-)
Sep 11, 2011, 11:33 AM
Foam Floats Better
Quote:
Originally Posted by Otto Dieffenbach
One experiment I tried was building the largest plane I could fit in the car and power with my 3026 Scorpion. If you haven't seen it, this is my Eindecker.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=akZ-ZU6hYkM
Really like this one also.
Especially the five gallon bucket lids for the wheels, fantastic!
Sep 11, 2011, 02:15 PM
^Its what I do^ - FPVholic
Surely she's flown by now?!!
Sep 11, 2011, 02:30 PM
Retired CAD guy
I happen to know it went VERY WELL !!! :-) be patient with Otto :-)
Sep 11, 2011, 03:05 PM
old foamie
I just love your eindecker, did you use plans or the tlar method?
Sep 11, 2011, 03:53 PM
Thread OP

Giant Foamie Home Depot YF-22 First Flight

Here's the first flight. The video says it all.... one of the best starts to a new aircraft I've had. Best.

Home Depot RC Giant Foamie YF-22 flown by Otto Dieffenbach (5 min 1 sec)
Sep 11, 2011, 03:56 PM
Thread OP
Unfamiliar with the tlar method. Just took a 3 view from google and laid out the biggest plane I could and still get it into a std sedan.

Quick Reply