Sep 05, 2011, 05:00 PM
Thread OP

Some more thoughts....

When I did my foamie 1.5 oz and 7 oz F-15s I looked at the layouts of existing foamie kits and did my best to improve what I saw. These planes handled very well but I was upset that there was so much roll due to yaw and not just yaw for good slow rolls and 4 points. Otherwise the flight characteristics were great. I scaled up my exisiting designs but modified the nose to be more F-15 correct, added a vector thrust rudder and modified the bottom as mentioned. The big one handles just the same as the small ones. My mini 7 oz Sea Dart handles exacltly like my big one.

I have great confidence that any of the existing foamie plans can be scaled up with outstanding results and a Reynolds Number effect in your favor. If you build with R-Tech just add an internal skeleton per the photos and your good to go.
to remove ads between posts
Sep 05, 2011, 05:19 PM
Thread OP

While on the subject of large foamies

One experiment I tried was building the largest plane I could fit in the car and power with my 3026 Scorpion. If you haven't seen it, this is my Eindecker.

11 foot Foamie Home Depot Eindecker 3rd and 4th Flights by Otto Dieffenbach (3 min 2 sec)
Sep 05, 2011, 08:08 PM
low tech high tech
Otto, if you want help with the F-15 plans, I'd be happy to volunteer.
Sep 05, 2011, 08:32 PM
Retired CAD guy
I will also volunteer :-)

I have Rhino Cad and MicroStation (old version)

PM me if interested

Bob
Northwest Cutout Service
www.balsabuddies.com
Sep 05, 2011, 09:50 PM
Hmmm I just happen to have a scorpion 3026-710kv looking for some work. Just resized some super hornet plans. Off to home depot tomorrow.
Sep 06, 2011, 12:01 AM
Thread OP

More video at a larger field

Went to a larger field to stretch it out...

RC Giant Foamie Home Depot F-15 Flight 5 and 6 by Otto Dieffenbach (3 min 27 sec)
Sep 06, 2011, 12:06 AM
Thread OP
Are plans what people want or tracings of the parts for assembly. I would think tracings. Feedback please.
Sep 06, 2011, 12:34 AM
Retired CAD guy
Another great vid.
Wind makes flying interesting.

I would expect part outlines to be sufficient.

A full 3 view, exploded parts diagram would be nice but not necessary.
Sep 06, 2011, 08:02 AM
low tech high tech
Parts are fine. The simpler and less paper people have to print out the better. Your photos give a good idea of construction, and I'm sure this thread will eventually provide all the self-help answers people need to build one. I bet it will be a popular build. I'm happy to help if needed, but also happy if Bird of Prey wants to draw it.
Sep 06, 2011, 11:04 AM
Thread OP
I'll get something together over the next day or two to post. Probably plans in reduced form. If any of you would like to clean them up, have at it. Best.
Sep 06, 2011, 01:47 PM
Thread OP

F-15 drawing/plans

Here are the drawing/plans for the F-15 with materials list. The scan is not the drawing size so when you blow it up, make it 56" long and all is good.
Sep 06, 2011, 03:32 PM
Retired CAD guy
Great drawing and starting point. thanks

How's this for starters :-) ( see uploaded CAD overlay of drawing.

As can be seen some lines were Straightened out, assuming that the drawing was square and parallel.

Because of the nature of Drawings there were a few alignment issues but
nothing consequential IMHO.

Any objections or correction, comments or insights more than welcomed.

When all is approved I can add the text and notes and output
whatever format is desired.

C U L8r

Bob
Sep 06, 2011, 09:42 PM
Thread OP
Impressive. I neglected some plywood doublers/skids that I put on the original under the nose. To this point, my flights indicate they might not be needed.
Sep 06, 2011, 10:14 PM
Retired CAD guy
Thanx, but ...

I did that pretty quick just to get it out there.
I did not correlate it with the Build pix on Pg 1

There is obviously more work to be done.

Bob
Sep 06, 2011, 10:45 PM
low tech high tech
$110 for the motor...yikes. Any alternatives?

Quick Reply