Sep 04, 2011, 02:24 PM
Thread OP
Discussion

Giant Foamie Home Depot F-15

Hi all,

Thought you might enjoy this video of my giant foamie F-15. If there is interest I'll post the build photos.

Added photos of plane in the backseat of my sedan.

I included the plans, parts layout and cockpit art in this post so that you don't have to hunt for them. Best.[/I]

I have included the thrust line and additional rudder mods to this post (10/30/2011). I strongly recommend the thrust line change for great axial rolls and larger diameter prop (greater thrust); the rudder mod will provide stable climbing knife edge capability with 60% opposite roll mixing. Be sure to set the thrust vector down 2 degrees, on a pusher, prop up and motor end toward the front of the aircraft down. Best.

The second video is from 11/3/2011. It is a flight demonstration of the aircraft now that it is 97% tuned with the rudder and thrust line modifications. Enjoy.

Giant Foamie F-15 (Home Depot Special) flown by Otto Dieffenbach, 1st Flight (3 min 17 sec)

Airshow: Giant Foamie Home Depot F-15 with Mods flown by Otto Dieffenbach (5 min 2 sec)
Last edited by Otto Dieffenbach; Feb 07, 2012 at 02:09 AM. Reason: Added photos.
to remove ads between posts
Sep 04, 2011, 02:50 PM
space1
Yes pic's
Sep 04, 2011, 03:40 PM
Up in smoke!
That's really cool! I like how it can takeoff from the grass on its belly. Plans and pics please!
Sep 04, 2011, 03:46 PM
Retired CAD guy
Pix n Specs , equipment used.

I like the ground take off slideability.
Sep 05, 2011, 04:24 AM
Foam Floats Better
Great work!
Found your Sead Dart video also, very nice!

I really enjoyed the fact that you narrate your videos instead of adding music, nicely done.

Thanks for showing the build pics, I would have thought it to fly heavy if not for the video.
Sep 05, 2011, 10:16 AM
Excellent! Agree on narriation of your video...nice touch! Will you put or have any "build" pdf files up on this size?
Sep 05, 2011, 11:09 AM
Thread OP
I am a newbee to this technique of sharing.... what do you mean by "build" pdf files? Do you mean plans?
Sep 05, 2011, 11:12 AM
RC Adddict
yes he means plans Otto .

Very big and nice flying planes , they both look great in the air .
Sep 05, 2011, 01:45 PM
Retired CAD guy
I think the "guys" are looking for either the plans at this size
OR the original plans source for them to upscale themselves.

I'm the guy who has been cutting the Original sized Sea Dart in the USA with marcel's permission.

I'm also interested in your UBER sized Seadart as seen in these pix!

Short grass launchablity is something I think a lot of foamy guys are missing out on.

I grasped the concept with the Polaris and then with Marcel's Drongo and Seadart.

I never considered ground launch on the F15, f14, Mig29 prop in slot types.

BUT I suppose with the right prop, motor mount height and some fiddleing
it might be possible on any size foamy fighter.
Sep 05, 2011, 01:49 PM
brilliant design, I love how you integrated all the heavy components together in the skeleton to provide a single, robust "hard point", very clever.
Sep 05, 2011, 04:24 PM
Thread OP

Video of the painted F-15, 3rd and 4th flight

Thanx for all the kind words.

I looked at scaling up an existing F-15 foamie but discovered that the profiles really aren't that close to the real plane plus I did have to engineer the lower profile to allow Polaris like takeoffs. Since my patterns are on Xmas wrapping paper I'll have to consider how to approach putting together some plans. Maybe like I did on Flying Man (aka Flyguy) I'll make a scaled down set on 8.5x11 that you can blow up to desired size. Is there a desire for this????

Here's the video from this morning. This is already a great flyer and with a little more tweeking I think it maybe outstanding.

Painted Giant Foamie Home Depot F-15 3rd & 4th Flights by Otto Dieffenbach (5 min 11 sec)
Sep 05, 2011, 04:32 PM
Grumpy old git.. Who me?
Fantastic! She seems to handle real well and slows up amazingly well too. I thought that the 'tailerons' might not have enough roll authority but judging by the video that's not an issue at all.

Excellent work....

Steve
Sep 05, 2011, 04:38 PM
Thread OP
The advantage of the larger foamies is that the prop diameter will allow ground clearance. The critical thing is incidence angle relative to the bottom behind the cg and bottom angle in front of the cg. When I scaled up the Sea Dart I made no shape changes at all with the exception of the upper fuselage for better aerodynamics (used wine foam shipping tubes). I did add a ply skeleton linking the main spar and motor mount. As an after thought I added a truss structure to allow wheel installation (I use wheels on pavement).

Quick Reply