Thread Tools
Old Sep 03, 2011, 01:43 PM
edwong3 is offline
Find More Posts by edwong3
Registered User
edwong3's Avatar
Discussion

Blade Scout CX Three (3) Channel 2.4 Ghz RTF


Blade just introduced this new model:

http://www.bladehelis.com/Products/D...ProdId=BLH2700

It's a 3 channel that uses a swash plate instead of a horizontal tail rotor, with a 2.4 Gig radio system.

Pretty cute!
Ed

Edit: Here's a couple of videos I've found on this heli:

Blade Scout CX (1 min 29 sec)


Blade Scout CX RTF Micro Rc Helicopter (2 min 47 sec)


Ed
Last edited by edwong3; Sep 04, 2011 at 03:00 PM. Reason: Added YouTube Videos
Sign up now
to remove ads between posts
Old Sep 03, 2011, 02:17 PM
SubtleT is offline
Find More Posts by SubtleT
Vroooom putta putta putta
SubtleT's Avatar
Mode 4 as you'd expect. I see some stores mistakenly list it as Mode 2 though the Tx images make it clear this is Mode 4.

I thought we might start seeing these before long. Any prices listed anywhere?
Last edited by SubtleT; Sep 03, 2011 at 02:22 PM.
Old Sep 03, 2011, 02:18 PM
SubtleT is offline
Find More Posts by SubtleT
Vroooom putta putta putta
SubtleT's Avatar
Ouch, about $50 plus shipping it looks like.

Manual: http://www.horizonhobby.com/ProdInfo...-Manual_EN.pdf
Last edited by SubtleT; Sep 03, 2011 at 02:24 PM.
Old Sep 03, 2011, 05:27 PM
edwong3 is offline
Find More Posts by edwong3
Registered User
edwong3's Avatar
Yes besides helis, most 3 channel fixed wing aircraft too are mode 4 so this axis control configuration is a lot more common than some people here suggest.

Ed

Quote:
Originally Posted by SubtleT View Post
Mode 4 as you'd expect. I see some stores mistakenly list it as Mode 2 though the Tx images make it clear this is Mode 4.

I thought we might start seeing these before long. Any prices listed anywhere?
Old Sep 03, 2011, 07:06 PM
SubtleT is offline
Find More Posts by SubtleT
Vroooom putta putta putta
SubtleT's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by edwong3 View Post
Yes besides helis, most 3 channel fixed wing aircraft too are mode 4 so this axis control configuration is a lot more common than some people here suggest.
I wasn't aware of that, good information.
Old Sep 03, 2011, 11:54 PM
Doubletap is offline
Find More Posts by Doubletap
Si Vis Pacem Para Bellum!
Doubletap's Avatar
The concept is interesting, but it's not worth $50, actually it would be just fine for the $20-$30 range, I 'll wait for the no-name companies to start cranking out similar toys for much cheaper. If this configuration catches on at more competitive pricing, it may drive down the prices of cheap 3 CH Infrared controlled toy helis.
Old Sep 04, 2011, 08:37 AM
edwong3 is offline
Find More Posts by edwong3
Registered User
edwong3's Avatar
Ha! Ha! Always the "bargain hunter"...huh DT?

I too would like to see companies like Syma, and a few others introduce swash plate activated 3 channel ultra micros. Of course Double Horse has already done this with their much larger single rotor models (9100 and 9104) so it may be a matter of time for the coaxial type.

Ed

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doubletap View Post
The concept is interesting, but it's not worth $50, actually it would be just fine for the $20-$30 range, I 'll wait for the no-name companies to start cranking out similar toys for much cheaper. If this configuration catches on at more competitive pricing, it may drive down the prices of cheap 3 CH Infrared controlled toy helis.
Old Sep 04, 2011, 09:19 AM
SubtleT is offline
Find More Posts by SubtleT
Vroooom putta putta putta
SubtleT's Avatar
I think it is coming.

You can already find 4CH coax helis for about $25 shipped (IR) and $35 shipped (2.4GHz), though perhaps not of quite this quality (?).

By dropping the extra channel there are savings of a servo and links, left Tx stick 1D instead of 2D, etc. This means both cost and weight savings. Add the savings from dropping the tail rotor, motor, and wiring...

Ultimately these could be nice helis in the $20/$30 range.
Old Sep 04, 2011, 10:04 AM
Doubletap is offline
Find More Posts by Doubletap
Si Vis Pacem Para Bellum!
Doubletap's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by edwong3 View Post
Ha! Ha! Always the "bargain hunter"...huh DT?

I too would like to see companies like Syma, and a few others introduce swash plate activated 3 channel ultra micros. Of course Double Horse has already done this with their much larger single rotor models (9100 and 9104) so it may be a matter of time for the coaxial type.

Ed
Yep, well you know me! Gotta be cheap, otherwise it won't even catch my attention.


This 3 channel configuration could pretty much take over the 3 channel coaxial market in time, I welcome the proliferation of inexpensive RF controlled cyclic equipped 3 CH coaxial toy helis! Can you say goodbye to those silly and ineffective upward facing tail rotors? and goodbye to being unable to fly in sunlight or in front of your TV or near certain light fixtures
Old Sep 04, 2011, 10:13 AM
Doubletap is offline
Find More Posts by Doubletap
Si Vis Pacem Para Bellum!
Doubletap's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by SubtleT View Post
I think it is coming.

You can already find 4CH coax helis for about $25 shipped (IR) and $35 shipped (2.4GHz), though perhaps not of quite this quality (?).

By dropping the extra channel there are savings of a servo and links, left Tx stick 1D instead of 2D, etc. This means both cost and weight savings. Add the savings from dropping the tail rotor, motor, and wiring...

Ultimately these could be nice helis in the $20/$30 range.

Yep! I think you are right, I think this makes sense as the natural progression of the 3 channel coaxial design, especially since 2.4Ghz has now become so cheap to manufacture, it makes sense to use this control scheme in value oriented toy helis. Can you say goodbye to Infrared?


$20-$30 RF controlled 3 channel coaxials I'd be all over that action!!!!!!! HA! HA!
Old Sep 04, 2011, 10:18 AM
erdnuckel2 is offline
Find More Posts by erdnuckel2
It flies!!! ... so who cares ?
erdnuckel2's Avatar
they would still have only 3 channels and cant "crawl" ...
RCG Plus Member
Old Sep 04, 2011, 10:36 AM
edwong3 is offline
Find More Posts by edwong3
Registered User
edwong3's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by erdnuckel2 View Post
they would still have only 3 channels and cant "crawl" ...
Let's not start this debate again. It's "horses for courses". In spite of the fact that I own a number of 4 channel, and one 6 channel heli, I find 3 channel models still a lot of fun to fly, and more relaxing.

I've enjoyed flying my 3 channel Syma S111G so much, that I just ordered an S108G (3 channel of course) if that tells you anything about how much I "miss" using ailerons.

I think E-Flite/Blade will hit a "home run" with this little bird, especially with such a short learning curve.

Just my opinion.
Ed
Old Sep 04, 2011, 10:41 AM
erdnuckel2 is offline
Find More Posts by erdnuckel2
It flies!!! ... so who cares ?
erdnuckel2's Avatar
then try landing them on a 3x3 inch pad (which is really doable with a 4ch submicro) ... and you will see how much "fun "that is and why I always mention the "crawl-factor" ...

... and I can assure you, thats when a 3ch stops being fun and relaxing ...
RCG Plus Member
Old Sep 04, 2011, 11:22 AM
Trisquire is offline
Find More Posts by Trisquire
Intermediate Multi
Trisquire's Avatar
What's missing on a 3 channel? Is it the ability to make the nose/tail point in the direction you want? How can you control that on a 3 channel?
Old Sep 04, 2011, 11:54 AM
erdnuckel2 is offline
Find More Posts by erdnuckel2
It flies!!! ... so who cares ?
erdnuckel2's Avatar
What is missing (for me anyway) is the ability of a 3ch to be in a "deadstill" hover and then move ONLY straight to the left or straight to the right ... and nowhere else

(thats what is called "crawl" ... again, to all I know anyway.)

Now if you try to land a SymaS107 on a 3x3inch helipad, you will see how almost impossible that is and how much you would need this crawl ability to "facilitate" the landing (ie. even manage to do it at all)
With a 4ch however, this will be much less of an impossibility once you practice this for a while - in particular because of the 4ch's ability to "crawl"
RCG Plus Member


Thread Tools

Similar Threads
Category Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Discussion Blade Scout CX!!! boss99er Coaxial Helicopters 351 Jan 13, 2016 11:54 PM
For Sale 9 Channel 2.4 Ghz Spektrum and JR RX's (3 available) for sale!!! jfetter Aircraft - General - Radio Equipment (FS/W) 8 Aug 24, 2011 10:26 PM
For Sale Blade CX 2 RTF, Blade MCX2 RTF With Upgrades digital75 Aircraft - Electric - Helis (FS/W) 9 Aug 05, 2011 11:12 AM
For Sale Blade CX 2 RTF, Blade MCX2 RTF digital75 Aircraft - Electric - Helis (FS/W) 13 Jun 29, 2011 07:28 PM
Sold TRADE - Blade CX2 2.4 ghz RTF Assassin-8 Aircraft - Electric - Helis (FS/W) 3 Apr 26, 2011 11:10 PM