Aug 31, 2011, 08:49 PM
Team Extreme! Team Twisted!
Thread OP
Discussion

Twisted Hobbys - Telink 44" Extra Slick - Build, Fly, Vid

Hey guys,

We have been working on this new Telink Extra Slick for a while now and are very excited to bring it to production. The Telink lineup is the cream of the crop in EPP planes and this new Extra Slick is going to be the most off the hook 3D plane in the mix.

Our goal with this thread is to create a build log that is really useful as a building manual and to show you tips and tricks specific to this plane. It is very similar in construction methods to the Yak 55 but has enough differences to be worth it's own thread. After the build is done we will discuss flight characteristics and do some video.

Here is the link to the Twisted site for this plane: http://shop.twistedhobbys.com/Telink...xtra-Slick.htm

I will be running the Twisted combo with 40amp ESC and Blue Lipo 2200 3S packs.

Here is a link to the Yak build thread. I will try to cover slightly different topics than those already posted here but it might be worth a look if you are going to build any of the Telink planes (keep in mind the SU29 is slightly different in construction): https://www.rcgroups.com/forums/show....php?t=1388135

----
Video update:

My friend Brad Petty and I got the first flights done on the Extra Slick today. Great flying plane!! More on the flight report to come. A little overcast today but we shot some video anyway. We're only a few flights into this plane and already love it!

Twisted Hobbys - Telink Extra Slick (3 min 3 sec)

Twisted Hobbys - Telink Extra Slick.mov (3 min 3 sec)

---

FLIGHT REPORT:

I have had several people ask me what the main differences are in the new Telink Extra Slick compared with the Yak 55 and SU29.

Well it is pretty easy to explain the difference:

1. The Extra Slick has more fuse area and more fuse area in the right place for good 3D characteristics. It also has taller fin (or fin to rear fuse ratio) which makes high alpha, high G, spins and tumbles easier to control. And last but not least, it has SFGs.

2. What all that results in is a plane that flies more similar to the larger balsa planes that we all are flying here in the States. It will be more familiar to those flying Extreme Flight or 3DHS type of planes. Conversely, skills learned with the Extra Slick will translate well back to the balsa side too.

3. Excitement level for me on this plane through the roof. When I am flying it I am saying in my mind, "Hell ya, this is exactly what I was looking for in an EPP"! For me now, the concept of Simulator to Telink to Balsa is totally complete and I am happy as a clam with this plane in my lineup.

I have a feeling that Brad will not be able to keep these in stock. They look good, fly good and make a tone of sense.

** Note on the color scheme: It looks fantastic in the air! Trust me on that..

As with all the Twisted build threads all the info you need will be updated here in the first post.
Last edited by hercdriver7777; Sep 19, 2011 at 07:39 PM.
to remove ads between posts
Aug 31, 2011, 08:52 PM
Thread OP

Final Build log.

Whew! Just finished in the shop and I got a boat load done today. Finished everything up and it is ready to fly tomorrow.

BTW, I maidened it in the shop! She hovers nice!
Last edited by hercdriver7777; Sep 03, 2011 at 08:14 PM. Reason: Build Update
Aug 31, 2011, 09:02 PM
Nice build thread this will help everyone immensely. Take it away Chris
Aug 31, 2011, 09:12 PM
cant wait to see this one!

Jamie Hicks
Sep 02, 2011, 09:21 PM
Thread OP
Build photos updated with tonight's progress. Servo install and hinge completion.
Sep 02, 2011, 10:33 PM
Video!
Sep 02, 2011, 10:35 PM
Thread OP
If the WX cooperates, video Sunday!
Sep 02, 2011, 10:37 PM
Suspended Account
Quote:
Originally Posted by hercdriver7777
If the WX cooperates, video Sunday!
Sweet!!!!

Sep 03, 2011, 06:02 AM
Great build. Even though mine is done and all is fine, wished I had seen this first. Couple of different things that I wished I had done. I have built a lot of foamies and developed certain procedures that work well, but there are some neat tricks here that I would have used instead. Today will be my third day of flying this plane and I'm liking it more and more as I get used to it.
Sep 03, 2011, 08:46 AM
I went out this morning and got in another 8 flights. I think I have all the fine tuning done and man I feel like I'm so connected with this plane already. It's a ke monster, does nice tight ke loops, it's so fun to have a plane this size that flies this great. It's so perfect for flying at the school yard, it's going to get a lot of flight time since it's so convenient to just toss in the car and run down the street. I did add a couple of pennies to the tip of the left wing to balance it laterally and that helped tremendously in harrier. At first I was trying to harrier it like my other planes but the aoa was too high. It harriers at a very low aoa and yet just slows down to a walking pace with no problem. I needed a plane that just takes a pounding for down low and slow, and yet has the stability to do the low slow stuff with predictablility and I have found it in the Extra Slick. It's so nice that if you boink it in you just toss it back up and away you go. At first I balked at the price, but I just knew it was going to be worth every penny, and it definitely is. I had a gut feeling about this plane and it turns out I was right. Thanks TwistedHobby's, you have hit a home run with this one. Now I'm thinking about the new bipe, if I can sneak it by my wife.
Sep 03, 2011, 03:35 PM
As of now I have flown 36 battery packs through this plane and all I can do is smile. This plane is fast starting to run a close second as my favorite, narrowly beaten out by my EF 60" Edge. And that's saying a lot for a foam airplane. It's so nice to have a plane with this much stability and capability that can smack the ground so hard and just take off and fly with no damage. I have had a lot of EPP planes but none as tough as this one, superb design for both flight characteristics and durability. For me the only weak spot with this plane is I can't get it to do good elevators, I need to find the sweet spot with the elevator. It might just be too light to do a decent elevator, I don't know, but I'll keep on trying. One thing I love about this plane, on both loops and ke loops it dosn't roll out, it just maintains it's attitude without any aileron correction which makes it stupid easy to do them. I'm having a ball doing full speed ke passes at less than a foot off the ground with full confidence, a no fear plane does so much to help in my flying.
Sep 03, 2011, 04:36 PM
Liking mine also. Only got a couple batts through this morning, still too windy for this light of a foamy, but it is great to fly. Like it better than the Telink Suk and that was my go to foamie. This thing actually does decent tight KE spins. I'm sure KE is going to be stupid easy but just too breezy to play with that regard. Actually considering a second one just to mount a heavier set up on. Might throw a 103 gram Omega on with an 1800 batt. Works great on my Telink SU 29. Stupid power. Sure for a foamie its expensive, but for a teaching tool, relaxing flying, not too worried if you doink it fun, its worth it IMO. I'm much more relaxed flying EPP than balsa, I fly both but am much more careful with the balsa. EPP just wants to be flown low. Just wish the winds would die down some.
Last edited by stevelmaa; Sep 04, 2011 at 12:43 AM.
Sep 03, 2011, 08:15 PM
Thread OP
Build log finished! Check post 2. Flights tomorrow!
Sep 04, 2011, 04:16 AM
Excellent build thread again Herc, you got it all covered.

Now the bit we're all looking forward to make sure your camera man is on top form to keep up with you
Sep 05, 2011, 09:58 AM
Thread OP
First video update:

Twisted Hobbys - Telink Extra Slick (3 min 3 sec)

Youtube:

Twisted Hobbys - Telink Extra Slick.mov (3 min 3 sec)
Last edited by hercdriver7777; Sep 05, 2011 at 10:20 AM.

Quick Reply