Odyssey EP by E-flite - RC Groups
Shop our Airplanes Products Drone Products Sales
Oct 23, 2001, 12:25 PM

Odyssey EP by E-flite

Has anyone flown one of these? and if so, would you recomend it . I have a friend that wants to get into electric sailplanes, and he is thinking of buying one of these.

Steven
to remove ads between posts
Oct 23, 2001, 07:10 PM
Senior Moment
Hi Steven,
I've flown mine only a few minutes. I have noticed that it's not real easy to handle.
You can read all about it, just search on 'Odyssey', here at Sailplanes.
Rich<>
Oct 24, 2001, 08:14 AM
Thanks Rich

Steven
Nov 14, 2001, 06:28 PM
I know this is an old thread, but I thought I'd throw in my comments. An experienced glow pilot (40 years worth!) at our flying club bought the Odyssey. I was with him when he flew it - four times. The Odyssey is now in his trash heap. The plane is terribly underpowered, tip stalls constantly unless it's in a shallow dive, and only stays up about 8 minutes - if you don't crash it first. Pretty bad for any glider. All four flights ended in a tip stall spiral into the ground on final approach.

I've been flying the Dymond Flipper since April and I have yet to see any glider that flies as well, is as easy to handle, and thermals as well as the Flipper - two flights last week at 30 minutes.. If you're looking for a beginner's glider, there can't possibly be anything better than the Flipper. Trust me - I'm with the government!
Nov 14, 2001, 11:38 PM
Senior Moment
I know a glow pilot that retired his E-glider after it's first flight. He just could not believe how under-powered it was. I guess that someone who is used to having a powerful IC engine plane can fly vertically until it's out of sight, is never going to be very happy with a slow moving glider.

I'm happy if my Odyssey gets up to 200 or 300 feet within a minute or two. (Which can be very difficult to do, if you don't have the right battery or if there is a head wind blowing).

The handling is about what I expected from a rudder & elevator glider loaded down with a heavy motor and pack. However, the only tip stalls I've seen is during turns when I've let the airspeed get too low. I wonder if there was a CG problem on your friend's Odyssey..?..

As with any new plane, it's best to get about 2 mistakes high before trying any tight (or slow) turns.
I had one bad crash trying to make a tight turn over the runway. (Broke the canopy latch).
You are right, it's definitely not a beginners E-glider. The way the nose pops up when you add power makes it a handful to fly during launch.

Your Dymond Flipper is about 1/2 the weight of the Odyssey and the wingspan is about 2 feet shorter.
I can see why it would be faster in the climb and a good floater..
I wish that I had gotten a plain old glider instead of the Odyssey, However, since I only paid $30 for it, I'm not going complain about it too much.

Rich<>