This thread is privately moderated by YarSmythe, who may elect to delete unwanted replies.
Aug 30, 2011, 11:57 AM
Lee / RC Enthusiast
Thread OP
Build Log

Keith Spark's - Glow Dog

Promised my buddy (a year ago) to build his 6' Glow Dog in exchange for a GP Evader. He's waited long enough.

Keith's original build thread is here. When mine is completed, I'll post the final pics to his thread.

Keith has created a nice short kit. The plans and pre-cut pieces are first class. Is this for a beginner? Probably not. I've been building kits for many years and this one is testing me right from the start. I'm sure it'll turn out great. I'm taking my time....mainly because I don't want to hand over a piece of crap to my buddy. He'd never forgive me.

Oh yea, this sucker uses a LOT of LED lights. I've seen Keith's plane up close (and at night) and it is awesome. Not sure I'll install as many as he used...but enough to make this thing turn some heads.

Here's what we have so far.

-Lee
Latest blog entry: For your viewing pleasure
to remove ads between posts
Sep 03, 2011, 09:02 AM
Lee / RC Enthusiast
Thread OP
The formers were quite difficult to keep straight during the attachment of the sides. I have a slight twist at the end that I'm hoping will even out once all the top/bottom sheeting is applied.

Here is the FIRST piece of sheeting I made for the belly. Took me nearly 15 minutes to shape & trim. On the plus side, it fits perfectly. Only 10+ to make.
Sep 03, 2011, 09:53 AM
Terry Dunn
Looking good Lee!
Sep 04, 2011, 08:04 AM
Lee / RC Enthusiast
Thread OP
All these compound foam curves make me yearn for the days of sheeting a plane in balsa. Flat sheets laid across a square frame...sand down the corners. TA DA!!

The latest piece was tricky. The formers needed to be sanded down to accommodate the downward angle which is difficult because they are floating in mid-air. The shape of the bottom sheet is curved, trapezoid, and at an angle. Keith must love geometry cause there are only a few right angles on this thing.

Baby steps...
Sep 05, 2011, 01:37 PM
Reap the wild wind
Looking good Lee.
If you decide to "go large" then you could do a lot worse than having a look at Terry's builds
https://www.rcgroups.com/forums/show...1324409&page=5 see post 225
https://www.rcgroups.com/forums/show...1175767&page=3 see post 138
https://www.rcgroups.com/forums/show...=598936&page=3 see post 131
Head
Sep 11, 2011, 05:29 PM
Lee / RC Enthusiast
Thread OP
Skipped the wing and jumped to the stab. I am losing my mind because this took me 3 hours to get together BEFORE gluing. Pieces didn't come out of the laser-cut sheets properly. I also don't have 6mm sheets so it took me a while to cut several 3mm strips to glue together and trim properly. Seems like an easy thing to do...but it wasn't. Well...for me anyway.

I would love to go on & on about the problems I kept running into trying to get these pieces to fit...() but I won't. Here's a shot of one side of the stab while I regain my energy to start on the other side.

...What?? This thing needs LEDs installed too??!!

-Lee
Sep 11, 2011, 08:59 PM
Lee / RC Enthusiast
Thread OP
Finished the other side a few minutes ago. Got this sinking feeling I'll be block sanding my little heart out tomorrow.
Sep 24, 2011, 02:46 PM
Lee / RC Enthusiast
Thread OP

It's crunch time...

Time to put the pedal to the metal.

Finished up both elevators today. The LEDs were soldered to their resistors last night and laid out for work today. Made things go a little smoother. I'm using 24-gauge, 2 pair telephone wire for my wiring. Magnetic wire weighs less but is a [email protected]#$ to remove the coating. I grabbed a bulk supply of the wire from a vacant office space. "Free is good".

Hoping to finish the elevator/stab tonight and have the fin/rudder set up on the table for gluing before bed.

-Lee
Sep 24, 2011, 03:17 PM
Terry Dunn
This is gonna be awesome!
Sep 24, 2011, 06:24 PM
Lee / RC Enthusiast
Thread OP
Testing the lights on the stab and elevators. Tricky part here...is that you can NOT cover the stab until you mount the elevator. Why? Well, you see....there are these wires...

Going out to the garage to bend some wire, pick up some CA hinges, and get this bad boy done.
Sep 25, 2011, 12:33 PM
Lee / RC Enthusiast
Thread OP
Starting work on the fin & rudder.

This is where I give Keith a ton of respect for his building skills. I've built balsa kits for years but trying to 'form' very thin foam is a serious task. I wouldn't call this an advance kit...but I don't remember the last time I've taken 1-2 hours to build a tail surface.

...I just hope it's straight when I'm finished.
Sep 25, 2011, 01:54 PM
Lee / RC Enthusiast
Thread OP
I don't know about you but I found this funny. I grabbed everything around me that had weight (including a "lead" stick). You must teach this foam how to bend at your will. We'll return to revisit this in an hour.

Back to watch the Texans. Losing in the second half...not good.
Sep 25, 2011, 06:22 PM
Lee / RC Enthusiast
Thread OP
Had just enough resistors to install the four LEDs inside the rudder. Waiting for my eBay order of 200 47 ohm resistors to arrive this week. Looks like I'll be soldering at least another 50 white LEDs soon.

Man...I hope this thing flies straight.
Oct 01, 2011, 09:37 PM
Lee / RC Enthusiast
Thread OP
Landing gear bent and installed. While that dries, I'll go outside and cut me a plywood firewall.
Oct 15, 2011, 08:05 PM
Lee / RC Enthusiast
Thread OP
Finished installing the sheeting near the gear (bottom) and folded over the top for the cowl. Used the day-to-day process of folding over the foam until it was overlapping. One side cracked many days ago but has held tight with hinge-tape. Looks pretty good.

Tail wheel is also installed.

Need to start running pushrod tubes and tailwheel lines before sheeting the top. The horizontal stab has to be glued on first so I can twist it straight and use the sheeting to keep it there.

Quick Reply