This thread is privately moderated by Jim T., who may elect to delete unwanted replies.
Aug 30, 2011, 10:44 AM
Shining a light on the hobby.
Thread OP
Discussion

Champaign, IL - Fun!

The wife and I took a leisurely drive to lovely Champaign, IL last week. I'm usually there in the snow season so it was nice to see the town while the grass was green and the sun was out. We had dinner with Chris and Carol from Hobbico in the downtown district. The downtown area had a cool vibe was very relaxed. Thursday we got the grand tour of the Horizon facility. Can you say huge?! Kim and Steve spent the day with us and could not have been any nicer. It is amazing how much RC stuff flows out of that one huge building. We also toured the halls of the main office. It's sort of mind blowing to know that pilots like QuiQue Somenzini, David Payne, Seth Arnold and many more are quietly designing away in the Horizon offices creating new RC products for all of us to enjoy. Horizon is chock full of great pilots doing what they love to do - designing aircraft. I had no idea my friend AC Glenn even worked at Horizon, and I looked up and there he was! After our big tour Kim Payne drove us out to Eli Field where they were preparing for the Illini Super Jets event. They had a giant hangar area, a large paved runway and everything a good RC field needs. Sitting at a picnic table were a passle of blue shirted Team Horizon members. My good friend and fellow bandmate Pete Goldsmith was there. David Payne was there prepping a jet. David and I used to do the RC show circuit together for Hobby Lobby back in the day. The keyboard player for the Nallman Brothers, Pete Bergstrom, strolled up to say hi. We got to hang out with everyone and talk. Usually at a show we are busy running around getting coverage and the Horizon team is running around getting planes into the air and talking to the people. Being able to just sit and talk was a rare treat. One of the pilots that drove in for the show even hooked me up with a grape soda...nice. I was lucky enough to get Pete Goldsmith to give me some DLG thermal instruction. My wife and I had a great time in Champaign. Thanks to everyone that made it so fun!
Last edited by Jim T.; Aug 30, 2011 at 03:22 PM.
to remove ads between posts
Sep 01, 2011, 09:58 AM
Matt Mabry
Great photos!
The kids and I where there on Sat. just in time for the noon demos. Fun time watching Seth Arnold wring out different airframes, kid can fly!

Matt
Dec 11, 2011, 02:04 AM
Registered Addict
Looks like a great day ! whats the FMS T28 doing at Horizon Hobby ?

Quick Reply