View Poll Results: Which is your favorite/go-to UMX plane?
Beast 39 55.71%
Sbach 31 44.29%
Voters: 70. You may not vote on this poll

Aug 31, 2011, 10:23 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by razorseal
well, the sbach isn't either. lol

they are both precise enough though.

still not sure what people meant by that.

I like the way the sbach looks, but the beast is half the price. I think i'll go for the beast because of that. if sbach becomes 99 as well, i'll go for that most likely
I never said it was, I simply was refuting your statement of the beast being a 3d plane.

Here is MY main issues with the beast.

Color scheme can cause issues for some with disorientation at a distance.

The beast in my opinion is the second most fragile UM plane of them all next to the 300. I never personally crashed mine but for 160 bucks (at the time I bought mine) it felt like I was flying a glass plane that was ready to shatter at any time.

The beast feels slow and sluggish compared to the sbach. The beast can roll like a drill but that was the only thing I really found special about it at the time. I don't know, I guess I cant really explain why I feel the sbach is more precise than the beast but it appears thats not the first time you heard that comment so there are others that feel the way I do, maybe they can explain it in a way that I can't.

I can't argue the $99 price tag they have on it now, but I have to say that if I was going to buy one and I had a chance to fly both, I would pay the 160 for the sbach in a heart beat.
to remove ads between posts
Aug 31, 2011, 10:43 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by DoomsDay
I never said it was, I simply was refuting your statement of the beast being a 3d plane.

Here is MY main issues with the beast.

Color scheme can cause issues for some with disorientation at a distance.

The beast in my opinion is the second most fragile UM plane of them all next to the 300. I never personally crashed mine but for 160 bucks (at the time I bought mine) it felt like I was flying a glass plane that was ready to shatter at any time.

The beast feels slow and sluggish compared to the sbach. The beast can roll like a drill but that was the only thing I really found special about it at the time. I don't know, I guess I cant really explain why I feel the sbach is more precise than the beast but it appears thats not the first time you heard that comment so there are others that feel the way I do, maybe they can explain it in a way that I can't.

I can't argue the $99 price tag they have on it now, but I have to say that if I was going to buy one and I had a chance to fly both, I would pay the 160 for the sbach in a heart beat.
so you think it's worth the extra 60 eh....

would you say it'd be easier to 'recover' the plane from an 'almost' crash situation with the precision?

I'm gonna get a umx plane soon (not anytime soon, probably xmas time) so I have plenty of time to decide.

perhaps it flies more like on rails compared to being jumpy? lo
Aug 31, 2011, 11:14 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by razorseal
so you think it's worth the extra 60 eh....

would you say it'd be easier to 'recover' the plane from an 'almost' crash situation with the precision?

I'm gonna get a umx plane soon (not anytime soon, probably xmas time) so I have plenty of time to decide.

perhaps it flies more like on rails compared to being jumpy? lo
That is going to be entirely upon the situation. If you are flying a foot off the ground and dumb thumb it, neither one is going to react in enough time. However, part of being able to recover is also knowing the orientation and like I said, the sbach is MUCH easier to see at a distance then the beast is.

I can say that in my flights with the sbach so far, I haven't had any issues that I needed to recover from. The beast however at a distance has many times been going in one direction when I thought it was going in another. Easily recoverable once you know what its doing, but some one with limited flight experience could easily crash it due to that. The worst thing that has happened to my sbach was me flying inverted over the field making a wide circle around and catching a weed that was higher than the rest and it spiraled it down onto the grass. The walk of shame having to go clear across the field was more damaging than the crash (no damage to plane).

Flying on rails has been used to describe both planes flight performance. They both will go exactly where you point them. The sbach is faster, maybe not by a lot but it is noticeable. One of the things that annoy me with the beast is its looks in the air. Go watch a bunch of beast videos, that tail is flying lower than the plane unless you are pretty much going full speed. Doesn't matter where you put the battery, you still get that look. That look also affects how it is flying. When I said sluggish, part of that is due to the tail. At full throttle you wont notice it much but when you slow it down, you will.

Now again, this is just my opinion. I rarely saw any complaints about the plane in the beast thread and several folks that I fly with absolutely loved it.
Aug 31, 2011, 11:20 PM
Fly low or fly home.
I was thinking about getting the beast im a beginner but can you hover with the beast i think you can with the sbach but wich plane do you guys think i would have more fu with and if you crash the beast does it break alot easier than the sbach so wich do you guys think i should get?
Aug 31, 2011, 11:25 PM
Fly low or fly home.
Ok nvm bout the sbach not ready to spend 170 dollars but does the beast beat the sukoi 26?
Aug 31, 2011, 11:26 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stoned doggie
I was thinking about getting the beast im a beginner but can you hover with the beast i think you can with the sbach but wich plane do you guys think i would have more fu with and if you crash the beast does it break alot easier than the sbach so wich do you guys think i should get?
A beginner should not get either plane! I wouldn't recommend either one till about your third or forth plane. I would go champ, t28, either sukhoi xp or pole-cat then either beast or sbach.

This is also expecting you to have a computer transmitter like a dx6i or above before you go past t28 so that you can use d/r and expo.

Also you cant really hover either one. Sure you might get a few seconds out of it, but they both are not 3D planes, the control surfaces are just not designed to do much 3d maneuvers.
Aug 31, 2011, 11:26 PM
Fly low or fly home.
Quote:
Ok nvm bout the sbach not ready to spend 170 dollars but does the beast beat the sukoi 26?
And i still wanna know if the beast can hover well
Aug 31, 2011, 11:31 PM
Fly low or fly home.
Quote:
A beginner should not get either plane! I wouldn't recommend either one till about your third or forth plane. I would go champ, t28, either sukhoi xp or pole-cat then either beast or sbach.

This is also expecting you to have a computer transmitter like a dx6i or above before you go past t28 so that you can use d/r and expo.

Also you cant really hover either one. Sure you might get a few seconds out of it, but they both are not 3D planes, the control surfaces are just not designed to do much 3d maneuvers.
Yea sorry bout making you type that but yea im gonna get a dx6i and i have the t-28 and im going to get used to the dx6i before i get something else and i have 8 acers so i have plenny room to fly you dont think i could normally fly the beast around till i get used to it and i know the controls are alot more sensitive than the t-28
Aug 31, 2011, 11:35 PM
Fly low or fly home.
Quote:
Yea sorry bout making you type that but yea im gonna get a dx6i and i have the t-28 and im going to get used to the dx6i before i get something else and i have 8 acers so i have plenny room to fly you dont think i could normally fly the beast around till i get used to it and i know the controls are alot more sensitive than the t-28
And btw i started out on the t-28 lol i had to get all new parts eventually but most of my crash on it were from trying tricks (all new foam parts i ment)
Aug 31, 2011, 11:51 PM
Quote:
And btw i started out on the t-28 lol i had to get all new parts eventually but most of my crash on it were from trying tricks (all new foam parts i ment)
Think of it like this. T-28 in comparison is an extremely docile plane. super easy to fly and no bad tendencies. Now enter the beast or sbach. Extremely agile, will make the T-28 look more like a champ in comparison. You just said it yourself that you basically have destroyed your t-28 body while learning, you WILL do the same thing to either one of those planes as well. Probably more so on the beast because it is much more fragile then the sbach.

Yes, it IS possible that you might be able to learn on the beast or sbach but if you are not 100% comfortable with flying the t-28 and cant do all the normal aerobatics it can do and do it without effort, you will more than likely destroy the beast or sbach like you have done with your t28. But, look at it like this. If you dont mind blowing 99 bucks and having to fix your plane several times, then I say go for it. Worst case happens is you destroy the plane and decide you aren't ready and get one of the other ones mentioned and then buy another beast later down the road.

The flying progression is more about saving you money in the long run by giving you the planes you should go through that will give you the most flight time and learning for the buck. It is a guide but its not a hard set rule. I fully believe in the progression and endorse it because I know it can save people money in the long run, from lots or repair bills and just over all frustration of having to spend more time repairing than actually flying.
Last edited by DoomsDay; Aug 31, 2011 at 11:58 PM.
Aug 31, 2011, 11:59 PM
Fly low or fly home.
Quote:
Think of it like this. T-28 in comparison is an extremely docile plane. super easy to fly and no bad tendencies. Now enter the beast or sbach. Extremely agile, will make the T-28 look more like a champ in comparison. You just said it yourself that you basically have destroyed your t-28 body while learning, you WILL do the same thing to either one of those planes as well. Probably more so on the beast because it is much more fragile then the sbach.

Yes, it IS possible that you might be able to learn on the beast or sbach but if you are not 100% comfortable with flying the t-28 and cant do all the normal aerobatics it can do and do it without effort, you will more than likely destroy the beast or sbach like you have done with your t28. But, look at it like this. If you dont mind blowing 99 bucks and having to fix your plane several times, then I say go for it. Worst case happens is you destroy the plane and decide you aren't ready and get one of the other ones mentioned and then buy another beast later down the road.

The flying progression is more about saving you money in the long run by giving you the planes you should go through that will give you the most flight time and learning for the buck. It is a guide but its not a hard set rule. I fully believe in the progression and endorse it because I know it can save people money in the long run, from lots or repair bills.
Yea i know im gonna master the t-28 with mastery the dx6i before i get anything but im leaning more towrds the beast but who know if i walk into a hobby shop and they dont have the beast but they have the sukoi id prolly justs get that but i dont know its gonna be another 3 months prolly lol see if i can get something for christmas
Sep 01, 2011, 12:00 AM
Fly low or fly home.
Thanksfor the help and sorry bout the off topic ?s
Sep 01, 2011, 06:52 PM
"Heli-Pimp"
Doesn't anyone practice or fly a sim any more??? I've been practicing since I got the beast, all the moves a plane like that can do... I've learned more in two days flying my sim with planes than I did in my first attempts with a PT.20... Years ago...

I love the Beast, it is the nicest 100.00(complete) plane I have ever flown... I do agree on the orientation issue at dusk it's not good... In good daylight I can see it fine, I am blue green colorblind...

Ken
Sep 02, 2011, 06:46 AM
I hate winter!
Thread OP
I've been trying to perform and perfect pattern flying with the Beast - it is really tough since it's so responsive. I don't have the Sbach but I'd think because of the higher speed, less drag, it'd be an easier pattern flier.

Still, at $160... that's a lot of coin for a small piece of foam.
Sep 02, 2011, 09:52 AM
The beast was $160 when I bought it and yes it is a lot of money for a piece of foam.

Quick Reply